Fizban

pa2v2 amp

Well to add my two cents I have had my PA2V2 for a couple of weeks and have used it through the line outs on an Onkyo C390 cd changer and on my Sony discman, with Grado SR325i's.  For $60 US, I think it is a great deal and Gary is a fantastic person to deal with.  My question, though, is shouldn't an increase in volume be the ultimate expectation for an amp?  How exactly would an amp make the original source sound "better?"  By this I mean, how would it know what parts of the original source are "not good" versus "good" and therefore it makes the "not good" sound better but leaves the "good" part alone?  If the original source is flawed such as defects in the frequency response, flabby bass, harsh treble, etc., then it would seem like a good amp would simply amplify these things.  If it changes these characteristics then it is guilty of distorting the source.  Now I can see using certain amp/headphone/source combos because the amp alters the sound to make it more likable to the listener, but when you pair it with another set of headphones or source it could then make the sound unpleasant.  I realize that's why people keep experimenting but to me, then we are saying the real purpose of an amp should NOT be a "straight wire with gain" but should instead be to pleasantly color the sound of the original source. 

By the way, when I first used the PA2V2 there was a lot of static on the volume knob but it went away after turning it up and down a few times.  Now there is no static at all.

An amp dun make the orginal source better. Thats why you need a good source with a line out. The amp provides the power the drive the headphones and higher impedence headphones. The built in amps in the headphone out are designed to drive lower loads, like a earphone. The line out bypass some of the internal circuitry (EQ, internal amp) that leads to the headphone out, so it will be cleaner and purer. eg, a HD600 has 300 ohm impedence. Try driving it direct from the headphone out and with an amp with the line out, then make a comparison. The weaker built in amp from the headphone out will not have enough juice to drive them to its full potiential while the amp will bring you closer to its full potiential

Crappy source will give crappy sound no matter what headphones or amp you use. Some of you are confused as what role the amp plays in the link.

An amp dun make the orginal source better. Thats why you need a good source with a line out. The amp provides the power the drive the headphones and higher impedence headphones. The built in amps in the headphone out are designed to drive lower loads, like a earphone. The line out bypass some of the internal circuitry (EQ, internal amp) that leads to the headphone out, so it will be cleaner and purer. eg, a HD600 has 300 ohm impedence. Try driving it direct from the headphone out and with an amp with the line out, then make a comparison. The weaker built in amp from the headphone out will not have enough juice to drive them to its full potiential while the amp will bring you closer to its full potiential

Crappy source will give crappy sound no matter what headphones or amp you use. Some of you are confused as what role the amp plays in the link.

Well that was my point - I read so many posts about an amp improving the sound but really it is just supposed to amplify the original source. By by-passing extra circuitry, as you pointed out, that should enable the listener to hear something that is purer, as in closer to what the source sounds like.

Well that was my point - I read so many posts about an amp improving the sound but really it is just supposed to amplify the original source. By by-passing extra circuitry, as you pointed out, that should enable the listener to hear something that is purer, as in closer to what the source sounds like.

Well its because in those posts, they used portable players with built in amps. Those built in amps are weaker, so the sound produced while powering higher load headphones are far from ideal. By using a portable amp (which had more power), the sound improves because you're able to drive them more efficently and closer to their full potiential.

So you understand where the improvement comes from? Its not the source, its the extra juice that your amp can produce.

i think also the amp amplifies some weaker signals which you might otherwise hear as muffled, unclear and by amplifying these signals we get a clearer sound picture, which translate to better sound, e.g soundstage and clarity.

Was wondering how long does it take for the batteries to run out? Been burning-in the amp as suggested for 1 whole day and haven change the batteries when I got them since Tuesday. smile.gif

Was wondering how long does it take for the batteries to run out? Been burning-in the amp as suggested for 1 whole day and haven change the batteries when I got them since Tuesday. smile.gif

It will never run out. I leave mine on because I always tend to forget to switch the amp off after use.

Usually, when we get something battery powered, we'll by all means at least watch out and try to safe battery life. For the PA2V2, its the opposite....I've always been searching for the fastest way to drain the batteries dead... tongue.gif

Anyways, I use the Sanyo 2300's...

Alright thanks guys.

Just did the transaction online to purchase the amp.

Met up with david watt and he showed me the amp and i was really impressed with how it improved SQ on my e5c.

I have found another usage for PA2V2 i.e. to use it as pre-amp for Sonic Impact T amp which is also battery powered.

It really helps to boost up the power and at no cost to me.

Regards

sleep.gif

Hey how's the T amp. Sorry for my ignorance, what is exactly a pre-amp? Been reading those in the forums but don't ring any bells. laugh.gif

To put it very simply a pre-amp to a power amp is like a headphone amp to a headphone.

To audiophiles & just like headfis, the addition of pre-amp will bring better sonic reproduction.

You can refer to www.echoloft.com for more info concerning SI T amp.

Regards

I think you might have given an awkward analogy. Everytime you go from line-out to headphone out or speaker out, you go through amplification, either by a preamp+power amp OR an integrated amp, so basically your headphone amp can actually be considered an integrated amp.

The use of a pre-amp is such that it increases the output from the line output, as most power amps has an input sensitivity of probably a few volts higher than the output of your line output. Hence the increase in fidelity as ehlim has said. However, if the input is not that sensitive to the line output voltage, one can very well do without a pre-amp provided his source has a variable line output, and still maintain high fidelity. I recall Mackie had a review whereby using the Marantz CD6000ose (was it?) and a pre/power amp setup, he actually discovered that removing the pre-amp and controlling the volume through the variable output of the cd player has brought him much increase in fidelity for that particular setup.

As such, without a headphone amp, one listens direct from the line out (?!), whereas without a pre-amp, a source-power amp setup is still very much viable, granted the above-mentioned requirement of a variable line-output, and a power amp which is non-picky about input voltage (i.e. might not improve much fidelity with a pre-amp in place) is met.

Hope I got my facts right. Anything please correct me. No offence taken happy.gif

Edited by lekguan

In a hi-fi set-up, the preamp is also the brains of the operation. Its the control centre where the vol knob is and allows switching of sources. All players/sources are connected there and its connected to the power amp which drives the speakers. An integrated amp is a combo of pre and power amp. Power amps can be seperated into mono-blocks as well........but thats into serious stuff liao.

To put it very simply a pre-amp to a power amp is like a headphone amp to a headphone.

To audiophiles & just like headfis, the addition of pre-amp will bring better sonic reproduction.

Regards

Since this is a discussion forum:

To put it very simply a pre-amp to a power amp is like a headphone amp to a headphone

quite disagree. Doubt if there is a need for a power-amp equivalent for headphones smile.gif

My take: "pre/speaker=head-amp/headphone".

This may also explain why some head-amps are also designed to be pre-amps in speaker set-up.

Not always the case. In fact, purist would like a minimal of hardware in the audio reproduction chain.

That is really an online knowledge base, if u have the time and effort to sieve out the information.

Summary in graphics:

Signal from source > Pre-amplification (facilitate switching of different sources; volume control; buffer) > Power amplification (amplifies signal to speakers output).

Amplification > Pre + power amplification (applies to your headamps too)

Intregrated amplifier > Pre+Power amplification stages in a box

Pre-power amplifiers > Pre-amp and Power amp in separate boxes with their dedicated power supplies (eliminate cross interference, thus, resulting in cleaner power supply to pre and power amp stages)

Monoblocs > Discrete left and right channel power amplification stages in two boxes with dedicated power supply to different channels (resulting in greater driving power, cleaner power supply).