Sign in to follow this  
teesixtenn

need a portable headphones < $150

Hi!

I'm a noob in this headphone stuffs. I've been using some altec-lansing to listen to my mp3. recently i was fascinated by my friend's new headphone...he bought this ultrasone model and let me hear this and i was like wow! i want one toooo! tongue.gif so i searched and found this forum. i hope to get a decent headphone at a budget of $150...either new or 2nd hand one. I need something which is portable and light and possibly look good too..*a lady user here*

Thx in advance!

What type of headphones are you looking for? Home use or portable use?

Some models to look at in addition to above:

Sennheiser PX100, HD497, HD485, Grado SR60 - Within your budget. Portable and light = PX100, PX200, PMX100, PMX200, KSC75. You can look at Audio Technica too but i'm not too familar with their portable headhone line up. Up your budget to $215, you can get AT's cool ES7 headphones.

Be sure to try them before buying. For sennheiser, you can try them at Tangs. Grados at music by design at adelphi. For Audio Technicas, ask razer! tongue.gif

Edited by afbug

thx for the recommendation! i would prefer normal headphones than those clipons ones...and buying them more for portable use...

i'm looking at the reviews now...and leaning towards the audio technica es5/7, grado s80 and akg k26p.

gosh..its so hard to choose headphones.

Why no beyer in the list? I guess beyer fares badly in the design department. I can only think of DT 231 for portability.

i read the reviews....grado s80 is out cos i intend to use the headphones while on the train/bus and mostly in the office. most important factor would be noise isolation because i'm wearing a scarf over my head, and the volume would be turned on a bit louder than normal. wouldnt' want the commuters to throw me weird glances. would stretch my budget for a bit for better headphones. biggrin.gif

Try the PX200, truely portable isolates quite decently and is well within your budget. Can even wear under the scarf and no one will be the wiser tongue.gif

I don't think you should wear headphones over your scarf, though appearance wise i think it may look quite weird if you wear it under.

The scarf will probably reduce the sound quality of the earphones by adding a 'veil' to the sound, and possibly muffling it somewhat.

considering in-ear-monitors? er-6i?

hansel_ng, I'll probably consider in-ear-monitors as well for portable use. and headphones for use at the office/home for listening to mp3s, and watching dvds. smile.gif

you should try out the Sennheiser PX100. i've owned them before but sold them as they were over the head earphones and they messed up my hair haha! but if you are in for a pair of headphones with decent sound, they will not fail to impress. i have a friend in Canada who have these headphones, and he said he has hooked them up to the emu0404 and managed to get them to sound almost the same as his HD650 tongue.gif with EQ help of course. nevertheless, even without EQ, these headphones sound quite good already. bass is slightly boomy though.. that is my only qualm with them. soundstage is of an acceptable level, much better than my old Sony EX71. highs are not bright at all. quite a fun pair of headphones to listen to music with.

Huh? You want an in-ear for portable use...but a headphone for home/office. Well...I recommend the ep-630 from creative for the fomer, and the grado sr-80 for the latter.

Why you want to listen over a scarf? Like the Sennheiser veil? tongue.gif

For nice portable headphones: Senn's PX series and Audio Technica ES7. These are smaller.

For earphones: Creative EP630 Or Cresyn LMX-E630

For bigger headphones: Grado SR60 or HD497, HD485.

Better audition them before buying. Grados are not for everyone because of their brighter sound and leaks a lot. I listen to my friend's SR80. For the 1st 15mins = Wow! After that, ouch! headphone.gif Alessandro MS1 are much better, easier on the ears for me.

I highly recommend the PXC250. biggrin.gif With the noise cancellation/amplifier circuit turned out it sounds like a different beast altogether (without, it sounds quite like the PX200). The noise cancellation will cancel out the lower frequency repititive background noise which is v efficient for transport engine noise. And you will hardly miss people talking to you too. The isolation is just nice IMO to reduce noise, and not drown out people trying to talk to you at moderate loud volumes. Some may say it's overpriced. But for its versatility and convenience, i'm sold. And if you are not using portable amplifier, the built-in amplifier circuit in the noise-cancellation circuit is a big big plus. Expect a price of slightly below $230 with some bargaining at Hung Brothers, lv3 sim lim square. They allow trying of the PXC-250 there. Do note that when you try its not burned in though, but it will give you a rough idea of its sound, and especially the functionality of the noise-cancellation/amplifier circuit.