Sign in to follow this  
ken.ishiwata

Integrated Amp Vs Dedicated Head Amp

Guys,

I need some advice here. Is there a sonic difference for an integrated amp driving a pair of headphones compared to a dedicated headamp doing the job.

My current setup is:

Marantz CD17 MK3 ---> Klotz GY107 w/ Neutrik Profis ---> Original Master ---> DT880

Would changing the amp to a PM17, which has a headphone output, make a difference in sonic terms? Would it be able to drive the cans?

The reason I need an integrated amp is because the Orignal Master has only one set of inputs and I'm having the hassle of interchanging between sources by plugging and unplugging the respective interconnects. A matching integrated amp, say the PM17, would definitely solve my problem here as it would have multiple inputs.

Do advise.

Cheers!

Well, you could use one of those av switchers with multiple rca inputs. Then no need to buy another amp liao, just 2 more pairs of cheap interconnects.

Hmm..but then again, some used integrated amps are very very cheap these days.

Either way should work I guess.

Edited by av98m

I've never heard the Marantz PM17. It all depends on the integrated amp. Some integrated amps have really good headphone out as compared to others.

AV98M,

Would there be any degrade in sound quality if an av selector was used? Any good ones to recommend?

Lengcm,

I've heard the PM17 on speakers but not with cans.

Thanks guys for yours responses.

Honestly, I have no clue. What is your other source? I was just thinking that the av switcher is the most economical option, as opposed to actually buying another amp! If your other source is also a cdp then maybe its best to just sell one of them.

The headphone circuitry commonly seen in cdps and integrated amps are humble pies when compared to dedicated headamps but whether one can discern sound quality difference is subjected to the person's hearing. Since you've already had the Original Master, stay with it and look elsewhere to solve your problem of convenience.

I can't recall but is there a set of RCA output from the Original Master? If affirmative, you could route the signal from there to input of an integrated amp.

CDP > input of Original Master > output of Original Master > input of integrated amp

Yes, use the tape loop on your integrated amp if your headamp have RCA output and you should be able to use your integrated amp as a switcher.

The headphone circuitry commonly seen in cdps and integrated amps are humble pies when compared to dedicated headamps but whether one can discern sound quality difference is subjected to the person's hearing. Since you've already had the Original Master, stay with it and look elsewhere to solve your problem of convenience.

I can't recall but is there a set of RCA output from the Original Master? If affirmative, you could route the signal from there to input of an integrated amp.

CDP > input of Original Master > output of Original Master > input of integrated amp

If i recall correctly, Original Master only has a pair of input RCAs, not output.

Yes the Original Master has only one pair of inputs.

I'm now considering the cost effective method of getting an AV switcher to do teh job. Any more opinions on that? Any recommendations?

Once again, thanks to all who have replied!

If you are not using loudspeakers, I think what you are looking for is actually a preamp. No point paying for a loudspeaker amplifier circuit if you're not using it.

There are many preamps on the market. For between $200-300, you can check out the Firestone tube preamp at Jaben Network. Or the passive preamp by Effective Audio for around the same price range. You might also want to check out Audionote's preowned section and Echoloft for deals.

So it would mean to say that if i use a pre amp, my headamp would act as a power amp? And i'd be using the pre-out of the pre amp to the Original Master and all my sources would be to the pre amp?

Before undertaking the more expensive option of another equipment, why not buy a pair of Daiyo RCA splitter ($7.00/pair). See picture below. Only risk is there could be undesirable impedance loading on the headamp with 2 sources connected to it. In order to avert any detrimental effects, ensure only one source is switched on during operation.

post-2-1140143501.jpg

This was actually one of my initial options but my range of sources would be a CDP, HTPC and DAB tuner so a 2 split would not be exactly enough.

If i were to except the idea of getting a used pre, which SS models should i look out for which would match my current setup?

Edited by ken.ishiwata

Unchartered terriority, in regards to matching a pre-amp to Original Master head-amp.....beware of buying a pre-power combo of different makes and especially so in your case; head-amp isnt a power amp but an integrated amp. Ratio of input impedance of power amp and output impedance of pre-amp must be equal or more than 10 times. Otherwise, you might have an issue with gain control.

If I were you, I'll make it simple. Connect the 2 sources that you use most often with the head-amp via the RCA 2-1 splitters. If the last source were to be utilized, disconnect the splitters and connect this source direct to headamp. Personally, I would prefer to connect the top priority source (cdp) to the headamp for maximum sound quality and use splitters for the other two sources.