Sign in to follow this  
heady

Building the PINT

btw, how much would the PINT cost??

Hi, sorry to say that the PINT pcb is no longer available. It was discontinued due to some diyers having problems with the board. However, tangent is working on a successor to the PINT but you have to wait a while.

Never mind XP

Huh? Say what? happy.gif

On another note, just finished building my 3rd and last PINT board. I used Texas Instrument TS922 opamps instead of the AD8397. I just listened to it for about 40mins and my initial response is, it doesn't have the sparkle of the AD8397. But on the other hand, it isn't as fatiguing to listen to. Apart from the sparkle in the high frequency, the other aspects of the sound quality are similar.

Interesting is that, the AD8397 in the PINT will only work with more than 6V (at least, in my built) while the TS922 worked until about 2.7V. Of course at that low voltage, the sound quality suffered somewhat. The treble became darker and the bass was a little excessive and sounded un-controlled.

Why did I try TS922? Cos it's less than half the price of the AD8397 and I wanted something cheap to test my board when I couldn't get the 1st built to work. I will report back on the new PINT sound quality after burn-in.

BTW- although I built 3 PINT, only 2 are working. The 1st built was still-born and my efforts to debug it, killed it.

Edited by heady

An update after running in the PINT/TS922 for a day, the sound has mellowed even more, unfortunately it's become too boring. I am going to take out the TS922 and put in the AD8397s. Sigh! Hope de-soldering the opamps will work out ok. Don't like to do this with SMD parts. no.gif

I re-wired my PINT, changing the hookup wires to a teflon insulated 24AWG silver coated copper cable from LHS. This is the PINT with the AD8397 opamps. Using the Japan-made 1/8inch sockets also from LHS.

I heard that silver coated copper sounds very bright but no, the amp sounds very smooth and clean. I'm impressed with the SQ. Also encased the PINT in a small Hammond, the same one recommended for the CMOY2.

user posted image

The PINT board

user posted image

Front panel

user posted image

With my Nano Plus, CK7 and diy Cardas cable interconnect

Edited by heady

anyone willing to help me build a PINT?

Problem is in getting a PINT board. There are none for sale now. no.gif

sian.. i was late...

tangent is working on a successor to the PINT. Be patient and that day will come when you can get the new pcb.

btw - nice avatar.

hi heady, your casing looks like it has quite a lot of space to squeeze in the batteries.

how many AAAs batt can u squeeze in there?

hi heady, your casing looks like it has quite a lot of space to squeeze in the batteries.

Yeah his casing is like a PA2V2's. I think he using 9V batts.

Yeah his casing is like a PA2V2's. I think he using 9V batts.

Yup afbug is right, only 1 9V battery. Can use until it goes down to 6V then must change. I tried the TS922 opamp and it could last until 3V but the SQ was just not as satisfactory as the AD8397, too dark.

Waiting to see what tangent has got up his sleeve in the ultra-portable design he is working on.

Which op-amp ya using now? Does it last with the PINT config you're using?

AD8397 doesn't last very long on 9V batteries because of its power drain of ~50mA. 3 hours 9V gone XP

Nice casing. Where to get? laugh.gif

sian.. i was late...

tangent is working on a successor to the PINT. Be patient and that day will come when you can get the new pcb.

btw - nice avatar.

tnx... but afraid i cant wait till tt day...

Which op-amp ya using now? Does it last with the PINT config you're using?

AD8397 doesn't last very long on 9V batteries because of its power drain of ~50mA. 3 hours 9V gone XP

Nice casing. Where to get? laugh.gif

Zep, I tried the TS922 which can work down to 3V but the SQ is not worth the bother. So I am back to the original AD8397 opamps. What to do? Still can't find the solution to the power / SQ thing. Want good SQ, then need higher power ie 9V. But 9V means less endurance as the 9V battery is so small in capacity.

The case is a Hammond bought from Farnell. Cost about S$12 I think. You can get the exact number from the CMOY2 thread. NOTE that you can't have the pot mounted on the pcb. If the pot already mounted, DO NOT attempt to remove it, trying will ruin the pcb guaranteed. (I learned this the hard way no.gif )

Edited by heady