Sign in to follow this  
heady

Building the PINT

Last time Squalle and I tried from wall socket VS 1.2V AAA X 4, we didn't catch a difference on the CK7, UM2 and DT880 though, have yet to try with K701 and E4, other than slightly more hiss on more notably the UM2. I think I'm going to settle for 4X AAA batteries, last close to 20 hours is enough, charge my U3 and the PINT at the same time. I think that casing should do well... but wah, have to order from Farnell ahz, my PINT build-up shoot to slightly past $50 liao laugh.gif

lol...my casing no space for 4X AAA man...only enough for 9v..so thinking of using rechargables 9V

Last time Squalle and I tried from wall socket VS 1.2V AAA X 4, we didn't catch a difference on the CK7, UM2 and DT880 though, have yet to try with K701 and E4, other than slightly more hiss on more notably the UM2. I think I'm going to settle for 4X AAA batteries, last close to 20 hours is enough, charge my U3 and the PINT at the same time. I think that casing should do well... but wah, have to order from Farnell ahz, my PINT build-up shoot to slightly past $50 liao laugh.gif

I am still very jealous that squalle can build the PINT to still work with dry.gif at 6V and I have to change the battery.

And Zep, I think the casing I use has a compartment big enough for 1 9V battery only, I don't know how you can fit in 4xAAA. Anyway, I still have a spare case if you want it and you find getting it from Farnell too "lecheh".

heady

I think the operational voltage of the chip varies. I am thinking abt production variance

maybe I got some "right" chips

theoretically ad8397 can run from as low as 3volt

abt ur 9V batt dying off at 6v, well, those batts are not known to have good current output. maybe at 6v ur batt cant sustain adequate current needed by your chips to sing.

for 4 AAAs, can try stacking or however I might see fit laugh.gif

heady

I think the operational voltage of the chip varies. I am thinking abt production variance

maybe I got some "right" chips

theoretically ad8397 can run from as low as 3volt

abt ur 9V batt dying off at 6v, well, those batts are not known to have good current output. maybe at 6v ur batt cant sustain adequate current needed by your chips to sing.

for 4 AAAs, can try stacking or however I might see fit laugh.gif

thanks for the explanation, squalle. My PINT starts getting whistles and squeals when the voltage drops to 6V. The music is still there but you can hear the extra sounds in the quieter parts of the music.

ya...that happens to me too when i feel that my 9V is soft....the DMM still says around 8+ V but i think internally it cannot sustain the needed current draw already...that's when it starts whizzing.....

Last time Squalle and I tried from wall socket VS 1.2V AAA X 4, we didn't catch a difference on the CK7, UM2 and DT880 though, have yet to try with K701 and E4, other than slightly more hiss on more notably the UM2. I think I'm going to settle for 4X AAA batteries, last close to 20 hours is enough, charge my U3 and the PINT at the same time. I think that casing should do well... but wah, have to order from Farnell ahz, my PINT build-up shoot to slightly past $50 liao  laugh.gif

I am still very jealous that squalle can build the PINT to still work with <6V power supply. My PINT starts to sing on its own dry.gif at 6V and I have to change the battery.

And Zep, I think the casing I use has a compartment big enough for 1 9V battery only, I don't know how you can fit in 4xAAA. Anyway, I still have a spare case if you want it and you find getting it from Farnell too "lecheh".

I still am very inexperienced in making orders online *lol*

Am a goondu at making online purchases, so if possible, I'd get the casing from you bah smile.gif

I still am very inexperienced in making orders online *lol*

Am a goondu at making online purchases, so if possible, I'd get the casing from you bah smile.gif

We all have to start somewhere sometime. rolleyes.gif (so corny) I don't mind selling the case to you if you really want it but remember that if your pot is soldered on the pcb, it won't fit into the case.

Look at the pics I took to check that your pcb can fit the way I placed mine. Then pm me if you still want the case. I will sell same price as Farnell.

BTW - I am heading to BKK next Tue, so if you want it, better be quick or you have to wait 2 weeks.

Finally had a chance to compare my PINT with my Pimeta (AD8620 and BUF634). The PINT is good but the Pimeta has that bit more resolution in the upper frequency and low bass extension.

Using the Panasonic CT710 CDP with line-out and DT880 phones. Music I used was the Hugo audiophile CD1. The drums particularly sounded deeper and more coherent than on the PINT.

For listening at home, I think a Pimeta is still better but of course it is not portable like a PINT.

actually, if there's enough interest, we can do our own PINT boards

but seriously, for USD85, you can even have a small run of the PCBs lol

actually, if there's enough interest, we can do our own PINT boards

but seriously, for USD85, you can even have a small run of the PCBs lol

I agree it is a ridiculous price but then it comes with everything but the assembly and soldering. I am not promoting it but just pointing out the possible availability of this item. :mellow:

I certainly won't know how to get my own pcb made for any price. :D