aaron-xp

Shure E2

Anyway, Westone and Shure is in some ways bro and sis. cool.gif

Heard that before. They said that the UM-2 and E5 was from the same produciton line initially too. Don't really understand though.

If I remember right, the UM1 was based-off the Shure E1 design since Westone was the one which manufactured Shure IEMs in the past, and the UM2 and E5 are essentially the same IEM BUT the E5 has an insane impedance of 110Ohms.

Anyway, Westone and Shure is in some ways bro and sis. cool.gif

Heard that before. They said that the UM-2 and E5 was from the same produciton line initially too. Don't really understand though.

Shure wasn't in the IEM business initially. They're big for microphones. So Shure got Westone to design and manufacture an IEM for them. At that time, Westone had the old style UM1 and so Shure's E1 was born based on the old UM1. Physically, there're slight differences and the E1 got less bass.

Shure then went on to design and make the E2 and E4. Both are unique to Shure. The E3 is the replacement for their E1, so it sound very similar to its predecessor. E3 and the new UM1 is similar but got their own differences. UM1 got more bass but smaller soundstage. The E5 was Westone's UM2 design. E5 uses an 'active crossover' while the UM2 uses a passive one. Again, both sound and look similar but have differences.

Westone used to manufacture the E1 for Shure at their HQ/plant. When Shure shifted operations to Mexico, they start to make their own earphones.

The creators of UE are also ex employees of Westone. Where i got all this info? Westone's rep at headfi said this when people asked about the relationship between these 3 companies.

Yeah they got a rather complicated relationship. wub.gif

To those who dunno what old style and new UM1 i am talking about, see the pics.

Current 05' UM1

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Both old UM1 and E1 damn ugly, but i like. wub.gif Can't find them for sale anymore, maybe except the E1 where the prices are crazy. Approx $150 euros.

wow, i mocked at ppl wrongly when i was working =x

i saw fong feifei's vocal aids using westone UM1 oldstyle and i actually mock them at them for using such IEMs lol.

the fact is that they r using gd antique IEMs (im such a disgrace).

Edited by ahdui

So it'll be more life E3 compared to UM-1 rather than E2 compared to UM-1. Right?

Anyway, I also own a Creative EP-630. Wonder if you guys could compare and contrast it with the other 2 IEMs (E2 and UM-1).

Thanks for all the help though. biggrin.gif

EDIT: Ahdui seems to be looking for a EP-630 when his IEM, CK7, seems to be in the same range as both the IEMs I have listed here. Don't really understand that...

Edited by aaron-xp

So it'll be more life E3 compared to UM-1 rather than E2 compared to UM-1. Right?

Anyway, I also own a Creative EP-630. Wonder if you guys could compare and contrast it with the other 2 IEMs (E2 and UM-1).

Thanks for all the help though. biggrin.gif

EDIT: Ahdui seems to be looking for a EP-630 when his IEM, CK7, seems to be in the same range as both the IEMs I have listed here. Don't really understand that...

Yes, E3 will be against UM1. But many will prefer the UM1 because of its stronger bass.

If you got EP630, next step will be either UM1 or ER6i. E2 and super.fi 3 erm....not much better i guess.

Its about $160-$180. $160 a bit hard to find. Pay a bit more and get the UM1 from Stereo. Worth it.

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=4607

$189 for UM1 is quite reasonable and still got discounts.

$189 for the UM-1? It seems to cost much more elsewhere. tongue.gif

Other than foam tips, do they come with the other silicon/rubber tips?

Edited by aaron-xp