cmk

AKG 501

Is Asia Sound the only place to get this can? The other place is AA? Is the latest price of $250 still valid?

After hearing Aaron's 501 on classical pieces, I was taken back. It has the most beautiful violin tone, very sublime.

I've heard the DT880 before(not at AA though), it is very detailed, but doesn't have the same violin tone as the 501. More likely the newer 990 is more suitable. So far, the 990 is much more balanced, having detail as well as bass, while its highs are very fast, similar to Grado. This is only a general observation as the listening equipment at AA is not on par with MBD, however given the disparity, the 990 was certainly impressive. For a better feel, I think I should bring down my own amp and have a listen.

Another idea I have is to bring down my cello CD and test it out. Cello is even harder to reproduce than violin and would certainly test the lower mids and bass, the area where most cans have problems.

user posted image

This is highly recommended = Delos DE 3326

Zuill Bailey Debut Recording

Got the K501s from Jaben. headphone.gif

I'm writing this as I'm running in/listening to these cans. For the little money spent on them, they are an extraordinary value$$$. Very even balance throughout the frequency range and they produce a clean and clear treble. Bass, at present, does not go very deep, but it does hit those bass notes. The good thing about these cans are that they sound coherent and musical, and even after listening to them for over an hour, they are still comfortable and not-fatiguing. A good sign given that they are just fresh out of the box.

Edited by cmk

i was looking for a used one in the classifieds months ago but not in luck. so how much you got them for? pm me if inconvenient. thanks.

As these are officially discontinued, anyone looking for one should make their decision quickly.

Last saw one at Hung Bros (SLS) as well.

Edited by tbln

' date='4 Oct 2006, 08:19 AM' post='81949']

Just FYI, K801 is a model I codenamed myself for the K701 in K501 colours and scheme, :P

:doh:

:bash::bash::bash:

yup, the latest stock is only 10sets in jaben, u guys haf taken a few, so i guess nt much is left

Edited by ahdui

should have bought one that day. By the time I go back sg think all will be sold out already.

i wanted 1 for myself too, but i've spent too much last mth tt i've gota stop my spending spree lol.

cmk, is the 'Aaron' you refer to in your OP me? Just wondering... ;)

Bought a used pair from N@Z in this forum (hmm, speaking of which I don't see him around anymore) a couple of years back. Excellent headphones for classical, vocal, jazz type of music. Liquid midrange, very natural sounding.

Regards

CK