Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

CD pressings from different countries

EDIT: a bit OT, but would you believe that it costs more to buy paul oakenfold's 'trancesport' at HMV than shipping it halfway across the world from Amazon.com after conversion from USD with shipping added??!?

S$40 vs. S$33.

True, and it gets cheaper when you buy more! wink.gif

How goes 'our' order? We still on for tomorrow? I'll show you what the Black CD-R looks like Mat.

yes..

infact my friend buys cd and dvd from cdjapan.co.jp

the other friend buys from amazon

hmv is a rip-off king!! but they have alot of good stuffs for those who mind the hassle in ordering overseas.

This would be a good read if I can only access it... Naimed any chance of emailing me the actual pdf file if you have it.

Sorry if this sounds a little thick...how do I go about attaching a file through the forum's emailing facility? There's only a 'send' button.

Could you provide an email addy here so I can send the attachment (pdf)?

You can't attach anything with the email if sent through the forum, so I've PMed you my email address.

I think a good solution is to buy sh*tty indonesian cds, make black cd-r copies... to me that defeats the purpose of getting originals. *shrug*

No matter... i'll still continue to trade or get friends to make black-cdr copies for me smile.gif

Here's a little something on my part to sort of suplement Adhoc's technical explanations.

There's a reason why the sampling rate for CD's are 44.1 kHz. This is due to a signal processing theorem developed by someone called Shannon. Shannon's sampling theorem states that to avoid aliasing and allow for complete reconstruction of a continuous signal, the sampling frequency must be greater than twice the highest frequency component of the signal to be sampled. This sampling frequency which is 2*fmax is otherwise known as the Nyquist rate.

I believe that this is a well known mathematically proven theorem. WHat I'm saying is that we can probably rest assured that the signal from the CD is completely reconstructed. Of course, this assuming that everything under 22.05kHz. If the recording equipment had picked up anything above that, that will not be reproduced by our audio equipment.

As much as I am an advocate of the digital world, I have to admit that the real world is analog. However, the problem is in storing a exact replicate of the analog signal. Not only storing, but manufacturing and making copies of that, and distributing to the public masses.

So on that note, I shall be contented with my CDs and DVDs ... and what engineers and mathematicians have given us music lovers today laugh.gif

It makes sense to me should I want to make copies of no longer available or hard to get pressings. The idea is not making copies just for the sake of making copies. In this case making copies with the best or close to original sound of the original CD when they are not available for sale. Eg. Demo Discs, discontinued pressing etc. The need is rare but when the need is there at least the solution is available. Of course not for commercial purposes! wink.gif