Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

CD pressings from different countries

Continuing from the HMV Summer Sale thread in Classifieds which is now closed.

Here's a quote from Adhoc:

if so, then i doubt that they are genuine first rate goods.

most likely they are second rate [read: inferior] pressings from hong kong, taiwan, china or worst of all, indonesia. no.gif

bit for bit they are probably the same, but the sound will be different. i would recommend re-burning such cds to black cds via the 4x-external-damped-cdburner method.

Can you explain further how this will make the reburnt CD on black CD-R will be better if in the 1st place the source disc is not perfect in the first place?

heh.. in my opinion, if the original disc is already imperfect, no point copying it. it doesn't make any sense.

Come on, if that's the case, I just buy those cheapo bad pressing from indonesia and malaysia and then remake them using the black cd-rs??

how are the original US pressing which are considerably more expensive gonna make money this way?

Ok Mr Troll tongue.gif , can we get Adhoc's comment? Maybe there is a reason.

alrite, will wait biggrin.gif

but does my opinion make sense or not, N@z?

CD pressings from different countries, Any difference?

I've heard some. More recently, I've heard RCHP - 'By The Way'.

SG pressed CD vs US pressed CD - difference: Yes

US pressed CD vs US pressed 12" single - difference: fxxking alot.

The differences to me is in the bandwidth, discounting the fact that the TT (LP12/ARO/Lyra Helicon/Lingo) is not in the same ballpark as the CDP (CDS1/XPS).

Naimed,

Hmmm... are you going to draw a few cans people here into the dark side??? Never!!!

*reflects the sun off the data side of his CDs into the dark corner of the forum in which Naimed lurks*

Begone foul vinyl beast! You shall drag no one down with you to your accursed dark doom!!!

Edited by fishball79

Naimed...

hammer.gifhammer.gifhammer.gif take this!!

lol.giflol.gif !!! I will never join your cursed side!! nAy!! Never never!!! mad.gif

Brother Naimed I cometh out of my darkened corner to join thee! Soon...

Naimed,

Hmmm... are you going to draw a few cans people here into the dark side??? Never!!!

*reflects the sun off the data side of his CDs into the dark corner of the forum in which Naimed lurks*

Begone foul vinyl beast! You shall drag no one down with you to your accursed dark doom!!!

been there done that...but found that the dark side is not for lazy ppl like me!!! but have to admit that vinyl rocks!!!!!

yeah.gifyeah.gif

reply moved to

http://www.sgheadphones.com/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=480

check out the sticky. support adhoc forever! yes.gif

lol.gif

Edited by adhoc

but seriously, i think I have read something like this before but forgot where. This is the summary.

Ok first a CD is pressed from a template. Different CDs might have slight variations in the position when stamped so the spiral are not exactly on the center. This is not optimal. Extracting and burning it again makes the spirals exactly in the center which *may* have sonic improvements. Maybe CD factories in other countries have machines which do not stamp CDs in the exact manner that it should.

Another reason is maybe the templates do not have well defined grooves. When extracting CDs, cdrom can read many times to ensure that the right groove is read. When burnt, the grooves might be better defined.

keep the explanations coming guys.

But my question remains the same. Will the bad cd press/2nd rate whatever it's called, outperform/be on par with the original cd pressing?

if that's so the case I will go to jb and buy their pirated cds (2-3 dollars) and make the copy and sell it to you all for $17!! want some? lol.giflol.gif

reply moved to

http://www.sgheadphones.com/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=480

check out the sticky. support adhoc forever! yes.gif

lol.gif

Edited by adhoc