N@Z

DIYers

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Put yes because I can do the building. I have built speakers, amps, done repairs, and once made my own mp3 player before they were available in shops! wink.gif But my dad mostly does the circuit designing and layout. I just have the idea, specs of what I want to build and a few ideas for what components. I do all the handy work, my dad says his eyes are too bad now ohmy.gif lol

Admin: The thread is about finding out DIYers not getting prices, thanks. wink.gif

I made a Gilmore amp (/me looks at sig) and just finished a Morgan Jones tube amp (pics to come later this week). smile.gif

v2?

I think V2 only relates to amps made by antness. The only changes I've read so far (values suggested by Kevin Gilmore himself) in regards to Gilmore is a minor addition to the power supply circuitry.

I voted no albeit trained in EC. Reason? Time with family is more important.

I think the question was not about the time to do a DIY project. It's about your ability to do a DIY electronic project. 2 seperates issues. smile.gif

I myself can do DIY and have done so in the past but I won't have the time in the future with the birth of a new baby and other concerns. But I can DIY! smile.gif

Having the ability to DIY but not having done any project does not qualify me to be a DIYer. I'm being truthful to myself as I have no time to embark on one. The same measure applies to one who has soldered a component or wiring in his lifetime but calls himself a DIYer...does it compute? I reckon not.

The thread is to seek out a true blue (no reference to our buddy) DIYer.

Edited by Mackie

I voted no albeit trained in EC.  Reason?  Time with family is more important.

I think the question was not about the time to do a DIY project. It's about your ability to do a DIY electronic project. 2 seperates issues. smile.gif

I myself can do DIY and have done so in the past but I won't have the time in the future with the birth of a new baby and other concerns. But I can DIY! smile.gif

Ha..ha...ha My baby is due next month.. And I was on a mad rush and finally completed the Aleph ONO, and began the speaker project halfway thru, which I'm trying to finished before the baby comes... I think I'm on schedule...... party.gif

speaking of DIY, anyone knows where i can buy teflon tube or sumthing like that? wanna insulate some cables i'm gonna make.. wub.gif

Having the ability to DIY but not having done any project does not qualify me to be a DIYer. I'm being truthful to myself as I have no time to embark on one. The same measure applies to one who has soldered a component or wiring in his lifetime but calls himself a DIYer...does it compute? I reckon not.

The thread is to seek out a true blue (no reference to our buddy) DIYer.

Since you have been trained in EC you have more than enough qualifications to be a DIYer! The thread was started to make a list of people to contact when DIY/electronic questions are needed to be answered.

Is it so difficult for you to answers DIY/electronics questions cause your priority is your family? How is replying to someone's thread about their new headphones or amp any different from replying to a thread started by someone asking about how potentiometer works (as an example only)?

speaking of DIY, anyone knows where i can buy teflon tube or sumthing like that? wanna insulate some cables i'm gonna make..  wub.gif

as qoute from NOS

[QOUTE=N@Z,Aug 18 2003, 09:01 AM]Admin: The thread is about finding out DIYers not getting prices, thanks. wink.gif[/QOUTE]

I guess this also relates to components. rolleyes.gif

Edited by jarthel

Since you have been trained in EC you have more than enough qualifications to be a DIYer! The thread was started to make a list of people to contact when DIY/electronic questions are needed to be answered.

Is it so difficult for you to answers DIY/electronics questions cause your priority is your family? How is replying to someone's thread about their new headphones or amp any different from replying to a thread started by someone asking about how potentiometer works (as an example only)?

jarthel,

Think deeper.........if U major in Economics, are U an Economist? As an example, I reckon FireFox has superior experience in DIYing projects and knowledge in electronic components than I am albeit he's still in National Service.

The second paragraph is veering off course from the main topic. Since when did I ever hint that I'm not willing to help with answering questions related to electronics? A dig in the archives for a thread on whether longer or shorter cables sound better and U shall see my banter on impedance.

As I've left EC Engineering for more than a decade now, I'll still try to help with questions that are no longer in my area of expertise and have no qualms in embarassing myself.

As far as I'm concerned, I've always been helpful and contributed well to this forum. Although a poor barometer, take a look at the sticky articles.

http://www.sgheadphones.com/index.php?showtopic=191

In any case, this thread is merely a vote of every person's own perception of his role as a DIYer. No one has the right to question or dispute his vote. If my point of view doesn't fare well with U, look away. To each his own and remember no one in this forum owes anybody an explanation, dedication or responsibility.

If you are, what can you build specifically? Headphone amps (CMOY, CHA47, META42, Gilmore, Corda), speakers anything else...

I thought it might be helpful to find out so we know who we can turn to should we want to get a DIY amp built.

Me? I voted NO for obvious reasons! I put in "other" just in case your answer is not black or white. Make sure you explain why.

Happy voting.

Edit:

DIY - Do it yourself. Doesn't matter if you copy someone else's design as long as you can build something that will work.

Just to refresh everyones mind what I was asking.

No wanting to pick sides but I have to agree with Mackie Jarthel doesn't mean you are wrong just that his answer is correct to my original qestion.

Bump for newbies.