N@Z

DIYers

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If you are, what can you build specifically? Headphone amps (CMOY, CHA47, META42, Gilmore, Corda), speakers anything else...

I thought it might be helpful to find out so we know who we can turn to should we want to get a DIY amp built.

Me? I voted NO for obvious reasons! I put in "other" just in case your answer is not black or white. Make sure you explain why.

Happy voting.

Edit:

DIY - Do it yourself. Doesn't matter if you copy someone else's design as long as you can build something that will work.

Edited by N@Z

I voted others. Coz I only know how to copy others people's design that are found on the web. Something like playing lego with a soldering iron.

Ablaze:

Can I make a wild guess that you probably could build your own computer's CPU?

jtfoo:

To me you can DIY! cool.gif

Edited my original post to be a bit more specific.

I voted others. I make my own powercords, do simple solder work (it's improving I tell you but not yet one point type but neither is it the blob type). Am experimentinging with a broken down radio (will tell ya If i fix it). Service my own VCR by cleaning the heads. Have fixed a drawer mech problem on my LD player and have changed the laser mech on my old Rotel RCD-855 CD Player.

DIY? Not yet but will get there somday. I have good mechanical sense - I fixed the flushing mech in the bathroom, service my air-con, repair broken down alarm clocks (sometime they don't work perfectly after my service LOL). I have an alarm clock that keeps time perfectly so long as you dont switch on the alarm - if you do it goes 10 mins slow everyday. If you don't switch on the alarm it works fine.

Does anyone know where I can get electronics training in the evenings/part time?

Edited by Rameish

At the moment I wouldn't dare to approach the Gilmore yet. Think I'll stick to opamps base for the while till a little more confidence is built up fro myself.

Northern Oak, where can get supply of 2SK389 and 2SJ109? Previously I tried to source for the 2SK389, but cannot find in the whole of SLT. In the got to order from overseas, and the shipping cost more than the FET itself.

Edited by jtfoo

Opamp based headamps.. Including but not limited to A47, Multi-loop, buffered and variants of..

Headphone cords, interconnects.

Probably could build a Gilmore but the parts are a pain in the ass to get..

Other stuff including mechanical work (a little).. Repairs on home electrical equipment..

Bump!

Jasonhanjk, huangyong etc update pls!

Firefox: Forget the Gilmore, PPA man, it can't really cost that much.

admin: N@Z, don't publicly post the price please. at least not until the ad starter for the PPA actually posts the price on his web site!

Edited by ablaze

Hhmmm... DIY PC and failed amps so far...

Adding an energy saving light under my computer table...

And a +-12V power supply using 240 AC input...

wacko.gif

Still on my list:

PPA amp

Gilmore amp

Can't believe I am so (tired / busy at work or NUS / lazy) to complete the list above...

yawn.gif