Sign in to follow this  
Blues

Power cords . Do they make a difference?

Hi guys,

I've spent about 30 minutes keep switching the power cords and trying to find the difference between the stock and the DIY-belden 19364.

It's very very troublesome and tedious to compare A/B power cords. So those out there who wants to upgrade their power cord.. better think twice. Luckily the power outlet is very close to me, so it makes switching easier.

I also switched them immediately while the song is still playing. This is to make any difference more easily discernible

Here is my conclusion so far:

I cannot hear any difference between my stock and the belden 19364 power cord.

Alright I cannot hear anything.

I kept forcing myself to hear something , but to my ears both sound exactly the same.

When I connected the belden and listened to it, I got used to the sound but actually when I a/b , both of them are no different, sonically.

For the moment, belden seemed to have more air, but when I switched to my stock cord, it presented the same air..

Suggestions? Perhaps I should burn them in longer, or cook them laugh.gif . But I have no access to any oven or fridge or stuffs like that lol. I burned them in since wednesday, I think. I just on my amp almost 24 hrs a day. So It should have around 50 hours by now.

As of now, I join the school of thought that doesn't believe in power cords. Unless someone is kind enough to lend me their high end power cord and maybe I can test to see if I could hear any difference biggrin.gif

Well until I can hear the difference... yawn.gifyawn.gif

Written by

G|_|y d4 5p@mMeR - 28/6/03 Finalised at 2:16 AM

Edited by Guyferd

Hey Guyferd,

Firstly, thanks for pulling me in here.. biggrin.gif

I suspect you'll need very revealing and picky components to be able to hear any difference from switching the power cord...

I always wondered, the electricity has travelled over such a huge distance from the power plant thru your house wiring etc, how would swapping the last meter of the cabling make much difference? You may get bigger differences from digging your ears or something.. rolleyes.gif

On the other hand, I do think power conditioners, regulated power vs unregulated power makes a difference...

Everything is IMHO, of course.. innocent.gif

Hi eric, welcome to SGH mate welcome.gif

Er.. imo my system is already quite revealing. I can easily hear differences of IC swap, amp swap and so-on. But this one I can't so..

Hi guys,

I've spent about 30 minutes keep switching the power cords and trying to find the difference between the stock and the DIY-belden 19364.

It's very very troublesome and tedious to compare A/B power cords. So those out there who wants to upgrade their power cord.. better think twice. Luckily the power outlet is very close to me, so it makes switching easier.

I also switched them immediately while the song is still playing. This is to make any difference more easily discernible

Here is my conclusion so far:

I cannot hear any difference between my stock and the belden 19364 power cord.

Alright I cannot hear anything.

I kept forcing myself to hear something , but to my ears both sound exactly the same.

When I connected the belden and listened to it, I got used to the sound but actually when I a/b , both of them are no different, sonically.

For the moment, belden seemed to have more air, but when I switched to my stock cord, it presented the same air..

Suggestions? Perhaps I should burn them in longer, or cook them laugh.gif . But I have no access to any oven or fridge or stuffs like that lol. I burned them in since wednesday, I think. I just on my amp almost 24 hrs a day. So It should have around 50 hours by now.

As of now, I join the school of thought that doesn't believe in power cords. Unless someone is kind enough to lend me their high end power cord and maybe I can test to see if I could hear any difference biggrin.gif

Well until I can hear the difference... yawn.gifyawn.gif

Written by

G|_|y d4 5p@mMeR - 28/6/03 Finalised at 2:16 AM

my experience is 'yes', power cord (p/c) does make a difference to the sound. maybe you would like to try other make of p/c before drawing any conclusion.

oh ya..it is a blessing (money wise) that you cannot find the difference between the p/cs......

cheers......... kicking.giftongue.gif

With headphones of your calibre I expected you to hear something, a change at least. Here's my suggestion 'when in my shoes', stop listening, take a break make a drink or something to get your mind off it, then sit down relax & don't strain yourself to hear the changes. Play your 'audio nirvana' discs, swap cables & replay the same disc.

Also, 24 hrs of burn in is not much really. You should know by now. At least 48/72 hrs. Ahh... the impetuousness of youth! Relax... don't try too hard it's only music we won't judge you!

I'm not surprised as power cords are not as easily discernible as interconnects as they don't carry signals but current to the audio circuitry.

I concur with Eric ( welcome.gif ) on the technical standpoint but in my own personal experience, the difference in sound of some power cords are as clear as day and night. I have to trust my ears and reject my technical theories. This was learnt when the sound of my slam-bang power amp collapsed after having connected a "slow" sounding power cord.

Eric, since U're gonna be at my place later, let me have the honour to demonstrate the different sound of power cords. However, I'm not gonna tell U what the difference is....U tell me. We're gonna have fun! headphone.gifkicking.gif

Believe it or not, the effects of power conditioners and filters are harder to discern as they serve to lower the noise floor.......a toughie when all the music is playing but nevertheless, I agree they do improve the overall sound but dubious to less experienced ears. IMHO, these ancillaries (generally but not all makes) do curb the dynamics of an amp and this is one area which all ears should be able to pick up. However, they are highly recommended for sources though.

Edited by Mackie

my experience is also "yes". It will sound difference. Sound good/better/bad/worse/whatever, I can't comment as it is very subjective.

Guyferd,

How long did you use the new power cord before comparing against the stock? Try using it for your computer monitor or some other high current electrical appliance like the electric kettle for a week before comparing.

I agree with Mackie and used to be a doubter too. However, p/cs do make a difference. Some more, some less.

As with all components, system matching is key to getting the best out of your equipment.

Suggest you do not give up on p/cs yet.

Hey,

I just came back from Mackies place (thanks dude!)...

he did a simple power cord change test for me (in his headphone

system) and unfortunately, I could hear the difference straight away..

guess I'll have to rethink my cynicism towards $500 power cords... sleep.gif

His resonance cones tweak on the headphones changed the sound

too, although I didnt have enough time to familarise with the subtlelities..

Just for the record... tongue.gif

alright guys,

hm other than kettle where else can I hook it up to.

It's kinda wasted if I don't hear the full potential of the belden and I skip the p/c altogether

hmm tests must be blindfolded and arbitary, if you guys are told there is a difference then you are expecting one. have mackie change the cables without telling you whilst you are listening. then you will actually hear a difference. also trick yourself, say it was changed but nothing is actually changed.

Guy,

You're not the only one who don't hear the diff between power cords. I tried several type, all diyed and can't hear the diff. They're are already burnt in for months, and now I just used them without any consideration with how they affect the sound(if at all). If I need new power cords, I just get some 110V type from my company and change the plug. These 110v handle higher current (not that I needed it anyway) and are shielded hospital graded. Best thing free for me.

Edited by jtfoo

hey finally someone who has similar experience to me wink.gif

Guy &jtfoo, count yourself lucky that you can't hear any difference. For me, the difference is so bad that I have to hunt around for new power cords, change my power bar and the accompanying cables just to get the right sound.

PowerCords I have at hand:

1. Belden 19364 with Mk Plug and WattGate 320 IEC Connector

2. Quantum AC Cable

3. LAT AC-2 PowerCord

4. AFA ARES PowerCord

5. Stock Cables

6. Power Bar made with Belden 19364 Cables and Mk Plugs

Changes I heard:

1. Thickness or Body

2. Weight

3. Control

4. Bass Slam

5. Extreme frequencies extensions

6. Airy-ness

7. Forwardness/Laidback

8. Depth

9. Noticeable difference in noise floor

Some Comments:

For some of the attributes above, I don't believe that it's the doing of the powercord. Instead, the powercord helps with bring better signal intergrity as well as keep the phase in check, i.e. it 'cleans' the power rail so that your equipments can perform to their full potential.

However, there's certain arrtibutes which I believe is directly due to the power cords, eg. Airy-ness, Depth, better dynamic contrast, Forwardness/Laidback (1 Belden => singer take 2 steps back, make it 2 Beldens and the singer will move 4 steps back.)

More words to add to the power cords confusion :

DO POWER CABLES MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE? To my humble ears, YES.

IS IT A GOOD THING TO BE ABLE TO HEAR THE DIFFERENCE? NO, it's a PITA to do power cords A/B and the price one has to pay for just a piece of so-called technically advanced wires.

Edited by Northern Oak