Sign in to follow this  
ablaze

Brunei mini-meet thread

great and fair review N@z!

I agree on the part that dt880's bass is a little lean. It's deep but not that slamming. of course.. y'all know my benchmark for bass right biggrin.gif

I also thought that beyer provides quite a good alternative for those looking for neutral sound that doesn't require cable upgrade. With cable upgrade, senn becomes very good, so is the price. So that puts the hd600+clou in another range imo, like in cd3k or even w1000 range happy.gif

keep the review coming N@z! esp the meta vs porta corda II

Thanks Guy. I tried to be as fair as possible. Given another opportunity I would like to listen again possibly replace the Clou cable with stock to hear how much difference it would make. I still would like to add one of the Beyer lineup in my collection of headphones.

Yep I collected the PCII before lunchtime had a brief listen using my Powerbook with my beloved etys. Not too bad. Tonight I'll use it on my PCDP. One thing I'm a little irritated about is the noisy volume control which seems to have had a fair amount of use, noisy when turning up or down. It's ok when the volume is set (so far), just worried that it might be a problem in the future. I've paid $280 after all so I didn't expect something like this. Hopefully this will be covered under the 2 year warranty, I'll shoot an email to Dr Meier later to get his comments.

N@z, are you using it out of extension wall-wart?

I did experience the same problem when I connected my amp to the extension thingy. Then one day I just tried to connect it directly to the wall-socket, the crackle is gone!

Then I concluded my extension wall-wart is not a good one sleep.gif

Still using battery at the moment. Rameish has emailed me offering a suggestion which seemed to work on all but the very low setting it's still there but less annoying than before. Jan Meier also wrote that it might be because the volume pot has oxidised a little & Rameish's suggestion of turning the knob up & down a few times worked a little.

mine also worked when I turned it up and down..

but mine is not because the volume knob has been oxidised.. rather the fault of the extension wall-wart LOL tongue.gif

N@Z,

Try turning the volume knob a couple of time more without the battrery in it but this time go past the on/off switch (don't do this too many times) - what is too much - well 50 times is too much. If that doesn't clear the carbon film on wiper noise you have 3 options:

1) Send the unit back to Meier Audio for a change in part (involves shipping of course)

2) I ask Jan Meier to send me a volume pot and I'll get firefox or one of the other diy guys to replace it here in Singapore when you come in October

3) I have one extra new unit of the PCII in my inventory. I'll keep it on hold for a week, and if you wish you can exchange for it when you come to Singapore in October.

How does this sound?

Sounds fantastic! I pick door no.3 please Rameish.

OK I'll let you know by Thursday next week.

This has nothing to do with the Brunei mini meet thread & I apologise to all.

N@Z,

Jan has just emailed me and is sending a replacement volume pot. Of course the cost of replacement will be born by me. I aim to satisfy. However, since I've already offered a new unit it's your's to choose. Obviously I rather sell it and replace your volume pot but since you had no opportunity to test it and I so happen to have an extra PCII it's okay either way.

Another thought. Open the case and see if there is any hole in the volume post were you can blow some compressed air through - it could be dust from packing materials. Although when I opend a PCII sometime back to take a picture I don't seem to recal any holes. Some volume pots have little holes but others don't.

Anyway, since Jan is sending a volume pot for you, you can go crazy and turn the pot back and forth (don't go past the switch on/off part). In other words, don't keep clicking it.

Will do, I'll decide by Thursday, by then I'd have done the 'turnings' & 'blowings' ad nauseam!

Actually the reason I chose the used unit is because you already made the hole on the case for the wallwart jack to go through. Me being Mr Lazy & all. BTW you didn't say how to wire up the enclosed plug as I have a spare transformer (polarity switchable & 12v/24v options) with crocodile clips which I can sacrifice.

N@Z,

While this has got nothing to to with the topic I'll post here sine you've asked the question. BTW Didn't I send you an email about wiring up your AC-DC transformer? I hope it is a linear regulated unit (IMPORTANT).

The leave the polatity switch to +

Check that the polarity is correct and identify which is positive (soimetime the black wire has a white stripe running through it)

The + should be wired to the inner core of the DC jack shaft

The - should be wired to the outer DCJack shaft.

Sounds like you didn't understand my email to you as such my recommendation is you either bring it down and let me do it for you.

Or get your brother in law or brother to do it for you.

There is a standard way to wire these things. Its a normal DC jack (check with your PCDP DC jack (hooked up to a power supply socket and switched on) and you'll see which is positive. Your multimeter has 2 test leads. If the red test lead is put into the hole of the DC jack (it may be able to slip in as the hole may be too small for the test probe) and the black test lead (-ve) is placed on the shaft, you get a + reading of say +4.5 VDC. Do a continuity checkto the supplied DC jack of the PCII. Put one test probe into the hole (not the shaft!) and check which of the two is connected to the +. Thats the one where you should solder the + wire from you AC-DC transformer.

IMPORTANT - Damage caused by abuse (ie higher voilatge) is not covered by the warrenty. Check that your AC-DC transformer does not fluctuate with the AC current (it MUST be regulated). Non-regulated AC-DC transformers will drift with the AC current (so at night when the AC current goes up from say 220 volts to 245 volts you DC output may go up from 24 volts DC to 31 volts and you'll fry you PCII.

If all this is as clear a mud to you, leave things well alone. Let me do it for you.

No, I didn't recieve it, otherwise I would have replied. Unless I accidently deleted it when removing spam.

Thanks.

Edited by N@Z