zonalblitz_audio

Volume Management for IEM users with iPods

Hmmm I use a 4G 20GB iPod with a Westone UM1. My volume's about 30-35%. Never really need to adjust it even in a crowded place... I use the Rock equaliser.

Edited by xkcwlx

- 3~5 notches on iPod shuffle with UM1 & CK7

- 25% of volume bar on PSP with UM1

- 50% of volume bar on PSP with CK7

Edited by evian_vortex

Guest joi-ful

5 notches?? Holy sh*t!

I go up to 10+ most of the times. Hope I don't go deaf soon...

5 notches?? Holy sh*t!

LOL ... My ears are sensitive to loud noises mah ... If it goes too loud , i will get a pretty bad headache ... So i listen to music really softly

5 notches?? Holy sh*t!

I believe you're a person who would demand realistic soundstage from live performances?

But i believe there's a safe way of listening LOUD. Keep both ears plugged all times instead of one. I got a crazy dude of mine who listens to metal on his Creatives at blasting volume, only plugged on the left ear.

Of course, reason the volume with distortions. Most important of all, keep it comfortable to your ears!

I think probably in another few years time, he will not be able to tell the source of a sound. (directional)

Edited by zonalblitz_audio

Guest joi-ful

Sorry to 'hijack' this thread but I'd like to ask how does one use the line out from the iPod?? Does the volume/SQ differ??

I use 1/25 on my Zen Micro, 1-2/40 on my TX FM and 1/15 on my CD player.

u using amp ???

wat iem using???

I'm interested to know as well. :DD

IEM can be powered without the use of amp unless you have your special preference.

Sorry to 'hijack' this thread but I'd like to ask how does one use the line out from the iPod?? Does the volume/SQ differ??

which ipod?

for 5G and shuffle, improvement in SQ is minimal. for the rest of ipods (exception of 1G and 2G, cant take their line-out) the improvement is a lot.

if you wanna use line-out, you've gotta get an amp and carry it with you. line-out is not supposed to drive low impedance load (errm, yeah, even 600 ohm is low, not to say ur UM1 or any other IEMs)

and also, line-out gives you full swing of the volume, which I believe for ipod is 1V RMS.

hence you need the amp to drive ur IEMs or any other headphones and give you the volume control,too

footnote: I've never listened to ipod without amp anymore, unless my amp's batts gone kaput