Sign in to follow this  
palestofwhite

Xenos Amp anyone?

Anyone bought or tried the Xenos Amp with the DAP and IEMs?

Wonder what good will it do if i hook up my nano lineout and UM1 to the Xenos? Will it improve the sound?

They do look good. Both under $150. Why not you give them a try? Aron got 7 day money back guarantee. If don't like, return them within the 7 day period. Just remember to say:" Eh, I want money back one hor" to the salesperson. :P

Or, organise/wait for the next LDM+ MO.

It should improve the UM1. But whether you can tell the difference or not is another matter. Don't expect the improvement to be great as the UM1 can be driven quite easily. Maybe more bass? Tighter bass? Better details? More treble? It depends on the coloration of the amp and interconnects.

The only thing I can say is to bring your headphone down to audition with the amp. The Creative Auvana really opened up and became more listenable when plugged into a humble Crossroad HP1 amp (Thanks Theory87!).

So you could be pleasantly surprised - though not too sure about your wallet :))

The only thing I can say is to bring your headphone down to audition with the amp. The Creative Auvana really opened up and became more listenable when plugged into a humble Crossroad HP1 amp (Thanks Theory87!).

So you could be pleasantly surprised - though not too sure about your wallet :))

huh? y thank me? i lyk crossroad hp-1 very much but only wish the casing is metal... the size is juz right for me...

huh? y thank me? i lyk crossroad hp-1 very much but only wish the casing is metal... the size is juz right for me...

Well, I'm thanking you for letting me know the name of the "no-name" amp :))

Oho! Wilson just let me audition the Xenos RHP and REP for a few days - wow! Can't wait to try them on the Senn 590 and Grado SR80 and see how they sound. Maybe I'll also hit the AT CK5 & the Auvana to see if I can coax more listenability out of them :cans:

Well, I'm thanking you for letting me know the name of the "no-name" amp :))

Oho! Wilson just let me audition the Xenos RHP and REP for a few days - wow! Can't wait to try them on the Senn 590 and Grado SR80 and see how they sound. Maybe I'll also hit the AT CK5 & the Auvana to see if I can coax more listenability out of them :cans:

More hope when pair up with the Aurvana but as for the CK5...... :lol:

Heh, I know what you mean about the CK5, but hope springs eternal :P

Funnily enough, the CK5 sounded a whole lot better than the Panasonic HJE50, to my ears, at least. The Panasonic sounded like a someone ripped the entire mids out of it, so all you get are the lows and the highs. The net result was just dreadful....I couldn't bring myself to hear it anymore so I gave it away that very day <_< . Wasn't particularly motivated to try the HJE70 after this disappointment. Does Stereo Electronics have a pair for auditioning? :P The design is damn class, sia

Oh... Really got me tempted there. :P

Really a newbie at amps, not too sure what they do,

amplify sound (as the name suggests),

improve sound, (how?)

&

what else.

If only I had a decent DAP with me still. Seems like a new DAP is still the way to go, but come to think of it, Christmas and birthday is coming along. :P

Heh, I know what you mean about the CK5, but hope springs eternal :P

Funnily enough, the CK5 sounded a whole lot better than the Panasonic HJE50, to my ears, at least. The Panasonic sounded like a someone ripped the entire mids out of it, so all you get are the lows and the highs. The net result was just dreadful....I couldn't bring myself to hear it anymore so I gave it away that very day <_< . Wasn't particularly motivated to try the HJE70 after this disappointment. Does Stereo Electronics have a pair for auditioning? :P The design is damn class, sia

In the matter in fact, I do have the HJE-70 for audition.

Oh... Really got me tempted there. :P

Really a newbie at amps, not too sure what they do,

amplify sound (as the name suggests),

improve sound, (how?)

&

what else.

If only I had a decent DAP with me still. Seems like a new DAP is still the way to go, but come to think of it, Christmas and birthday is coming along. :P

Well Aaron, as they say, your mileage may vary :P Whether an amp improves your sound will depend on your source, your headphones, and the type of music you like. Most integrated headphone jacks of portable players does not provide enough power to drive certain kinds of headphones. This is especially true because as players get smaller, so does batteries and battery life thus becomes a legitimate concern.

Not all headphones benefit from using an amp. Gradoes, and most IEM's like the UM2 are very efficient and usually do not need amps to sound good. Similarly, not many users can differentiate between an amped and unamped headphone. It's all subjective, so you do have to try it out.

However, some headphones you may have given up on may be brought "back to life" using an amp. I was trying out my Creative Auvana canal phones with an Xenos REP headphone amp on my way back from work just now. The Auvana definitely benefits from amping :P

Unamped, the Auvana sounded congested, hollow, with a tinny base and weak high's. From the amp, the soundstage expanded tremendously. It's more airy, clarity has improved as the highs were extended, and the bass became tighter and more authoritative. The mids were more pronounced, but not by much, because there was still a slight hollow resonance (Maybe it will get better, in time - we'll see). It became a totally different headphone - from the point of my ears, I mean :))

On the other hand, my friend still preferred the un-amped Auvana's :P

Let your ears be your guide!

Edited by scanfiend

personally i dun like both xenos amps, coz X0HA is having high hissing sound but so far so good performance.

yet, X3HA is too bulky & IMO not a portable amp at all....maybe jus movable instead.

i agree xenos do improve but with comparison to so many china portable amps in HK, i would prefer the really lotsa choices in the same price range on the mkt.

Wonder what good will it do if i hook up my nano lineout and UM1 to the Xenos? Will it improve the sound?

for me i would sell nano, use the money for the amp & from nano to buy a 2nd hand iAudio X5/X5L or Toshiba F20 (choose according to your music listening preference) or discman....if u were considering xenos

Edited by vnwn