Sign in to follow this  
autorock

Any known Westone UM1 flaws?

no offence to Westone users.. i personally find that their wire are too thin and not thick enough.. Yes they are very comfortable... i believe some cheap unshielded wire are used.

However they look, the proof is in the hearing. That's all that matters. Heck, when one of my friends saw my UM2, he asked, "Cool, are they home-made"? :lol:

no offence to Westone users.. i personally find that their wire are too thin and not thick enough.. Yes they are very comfortable... i believe some cheap unshielded wire are used.

Erm, bro, its the same cable as a ER4P. The top part is the same, right down to the texture and flexibility. The bottom part of the ER4P got the protective sheath that the Westone dun have. The plugs are the same.

The new ER4P's cords will have small little white markings on their top cord. Same as my recabled UM2. :P

Westone got their cable from a 3rd party and I think many IEMs company does as well.

However they look, the proof is in the hearing. That's all that matters. Heck, when one of my friends saw my UM2, he asked, "Cool, are they home-made"? :lol:

Wow... it's proberly not too hard to imagine a home-made UM2.... :rolleyes:

i'll just like to add that if you decide to go with the um1, you'll definitely grow to appreciate the um1 cables. in addition to being strong and having minimal issues with microphonics as mentioned earlier, another plus point is that they dont tangle.

The lack of microphonics is simply amazing. Both the UM1 and UM2. Even the newer ER4 with the braided cable exhibits some signs of microphonics. I don't know how westone did it, but *clap clap clap*

Thanks all for the reply. Think I'm likely to go with the trading in for Westone UM1. keeping my finger cross.. :wub:

Oh ya... gonna miss aurvana nice and hard casing....

Edited by visions

UM1's case in not exactly hard , but more on the supple side .... since it could be soft plastic laid under the nylon exterior

oopppsss my mistake.

nah ... it is not a mistake ... that is my opinion of the case ... :lol:

but to many others it is still considered a hard case , when compared to the pouch of the etymotics :lol:

Erm, bro, its the same cable as a ER4P. The top part is the same, right down to the texture and flexibility. The bottom part of the ER4P got the protective sheath that the Westone dun have. The plugs are the same.

The new ER4P's cords will have small little white markings on their top cord. Same as my recabled UM2. :P

Westone got their cable from a 3rd party and I think many IEMs company does as well.

I forgot how the ER4P cable looks like.. are they having the same thickness as well.. but comparing to my ER4S's cable, the UM2 is still a far fetch.. I believe with a thicker better cable the UM1 and UM2 have protential to sound even better. Imagine the Drivers of the IEM as speakers and the IEM cable as speaker cables. Westone's one is like low gauge cheapo cable that comes default with the speakers.. and a better thicker cable is always prefered to maximise the speaker's protential..

Thanks all for the reply. Think I'm likely to go with the trading in for Westone UM1. keeping my finger cross.. :wub:

Oh ya... gonna miss aurvana nice and hard casing....

Good choice you will not regret :P

Edited by nakedtoes

The quality of the wires are not determined by the thickness, 5-digit $$ speakers internally wired with Cardas are just as thin if you must know, and in some case it connects from the crossover to a 10" driver. I guess Westone engineers know choosing the right wires for the right application so if it really needed thicker wires, they would galdly change them since the "upgrade" would just means another few more cents...

By the way, my old Shure E4c wire melt open, and its just as thin inside but apparently the rubber shield is rather thick.... looks can be deceiving.

did you guys use original ear "sponge" given by UM1 or bought different which gave a better sound or isolation? Thanks.

anyone can comment on the above? Stereo Electronics offer addition earbud for UM1. Which is highly recommeded upgrade or just stick to original?

Edited by visions

Ah.. a case of judging a book by its cover. So in your opinion, you would give the thin Kimber Kable Silver Streak interconnect a miss but favour a thick AFA (infamous brand....at least to a lot of people I know) cable then? :bash::D

I used to own a Zeus speaker cable and power cord...very briefly.....they look like snakes to me.....even a python.