Sign in to follow this  
autorock

Any known Westone UM1 flaws?

I forgot how the ER4P cable looks like.. are they having the same thickness as well.. but comparing to my ER4S's cable, the UM2 is still a far fetch.. I believe with a thicker better cable the UM1 and UM2 have protential to sound even better. Imagine the Drivers of the IEM as speakers and the IEM cable as speaker cables. Westone's one is like low gauge cheapo cable that comes default with the speakers.. and a better thicker cable is always prefered to maximise the speaker's protential..

The 4S cable can be as thick as a snake but its internals are the same as the 4P's cable. If not, how can Ety claim that by just adding a P-S cable (Resister), it converts the 4P to 4S? I've seen pics of older 4P and they use the same cable as 4S but Ety change them to reduce microphonics as 4P is meant to be used as a portable earphone. :cans:

The new Super.fi cable is thicker and stronger but so far, no one has claim that it sound better as well.

Edited by afbug

Errr.. just to check how you guys wear uM1?

Firstly is it string over the ear? or just normal like aurvana.

Second, is the string under your neck or behind you head? :dance::cans:

Edited by visions

Errr.. just to check how you guys wear uM1?

Firstly is it string over the ear? or just normal like aurvana.

Second, is the string under your neck or behind you head? :dance::cans:

I wear it over the ear and behind my back ... :D

I duno whether this is a lil off topic or not, but after using the UM2 for about almost half a year, today i used my dad's UM1 and WHOA, suddenly my music is bassless and thin. well, almost. I'm using Jaben's custom molds with both. Think my ears are too used to the fat thick sound from the UM2 already. Suddenly the UM1 sound terrible as compared to the UM2. haha.

afbug.. do my eyes decieve me or did u really recable your um2?

whats that sound like then?

Sorry to give you a wrong idea. What I meant was change to fresh cables. My plug gold plating got a little worn off, so I emailed Westone and they offered to change the whole cable, recondiditon and add new filters for me. It came back looking like a brand new set.

Waa you tot I change to some python size cable ah? :P

haha.. probably!

buts really nice of them to restore your set... good after sales service.

Bro,

when you changed cables, did they change it to the black cables for you? or still the transparent ones? i kinda don't like the black cables. haha. maybe i shouhld get mine changed for the transparent cables.

Sorry to give you a wrong idea. What I meant was change to fresh cables. My plug gold plating got a little worn off, so I emailed Westone and they offered to change the whole cable, recondiditon and add new filters for me. It came back looking like a brand new set.

Waa you tot I change to some python size cable ah? :P

Bro,

when you changed cables, did they change it to the black cables for you? or still the transparent ones? i kinda don't like the black cables. haha. maybe i shouhld get mine changed for the transparent cables.

Black cables only. UM series no longer have clear, beige or brown cables but Elite series got. :P Westone decided to do away with the clear cables because of it turning green and customers can SEE and complain so they changed all to black once and for all. Shure E5 also got this problem but I think Shure is not willing to replace their cables.

Well you can always email them and try your luck.

Oxidization is especially problematic in humid places like Singapore. I owuld personally steer clear of clear cables. Personal choice though.

Edited by aaron-xp