Sign in to follow this  
afbug

Who wants more treble/less recess on their UM1?

$35.

I was thinking of that too.

Wanted to get it but not sure of it's quality and whether the original P -> S cable would be more worth it.

If you guys want that thing, better get a Xin amp that has a built in impedance switch.

Actually, I myself also dont know wh, when impedance load is increased, music tends to sound abit better.

If you're planning to get a Xin amp, then the original P-S is not worth. And others might not want a Xin amp or out of their budget. The original P-S is the ideal choice if you're not planning to get a Xin amp but other brands or want to use it with different amps with the ER4P.

Higher impedence does not mean it will sound better. I think it is hit or miss. Like the UM2, it doesn't sound better with it, sound worse to me. It also does not make a difference to those Koss 60ohm cans.

For UM1 owners:

This adapter is good for using at home. For portable situations, I think the adapter + cable one will be better. Less stress on the jacks but might tint the sound. Just remember to get one with L male plug.

That's a nice find afbug. I sure hope it'll rid my dislike... no no... i'm actually starting to understand why the UM1 sound exactly the way it is. It's actually made for monitoring purposes, not truely for portable listening!

The current line is designed for stage monitoring. Westone was surprised that the UM line took off at headfi. I think they're planning something for playback purposes.

Guest joi-ful

Hmm, a bit tempted to add resistance to mine as well. Currently, I find EQ-ing the music does wonders to it. Makes it sound more airy with better highs...

Hmm, a bit tempted to add resistance to mine as well. Currently, I find EQ-ing the music does wonders to it. Makes it sound more airy with better highs...

If you're happy with EQ-ing, I don't see the need to spend more $$$ but.....

UM1+ 75 ohm adaptor:

After spending more time with it today, I think I can give a more accurate description of the 'transformed' UM1 sound. So lets touch on the bass first. If you find the UM1's bass barely enough, just enough or not enough, then this is not for you. I think it shaved off about 1/4 amount of its bass, at least 1/5, bringing it to about somewhere between E4-E3 levels. Still have enough bass to enjoy I felt. Its midrange is also not as forward as the stock UM1. With the 75 ohm adaptor, its treble is not as recess as before, adding more sparkle to its sound. Details in the upper frequencies can now be heard better I felt.

Overall, I think it balanced out its sound. On some songs, its perfect. On some songs, I feel that its presentation is leaning towards the brightside. It is still not the perfect earphone. Never did I thought a change like this is possible from a earphone. From dark to bright. Really a 2 in 1 earphone! Look out E4, ER6i and ER4P! :cans:

Edit:

I forgot to add: It removes hiss as well!

Edited by afbug

Guest joi-ful

Cool, I might want to try that sometimes.

Considering the low price of the mod, it's definitely worth a go at it... especially so since it's recommended by mr. afbug himself... hehe.

Cool, I might want to try that sometimes.

Considering the low price of the mod, it's definitely worth a go at it... especially so since it's recommended by mr. afbug himself... hehe.

Nonono.....I don't really recommend it as I dunno if you guys will like it or not and you will need the 'original bass' to sound good outdoors or in noisy environment. With the 75ohm adapter, I think some will find that its bass is not strong enough and it adds stress to the jacks.

I only recommend it if you want a brighter sound and likely to use indoors. Broken jacks is not my fault. :P But it really changes its sound. Worth a try if you're curious or dun like UM1's dark presentation.

Guest joi-ful

^ Disclaimer noted. =X

Btw I did prefer the UM1 to feel a bit more airy and brighter to some extent.. Hence, the need for me to EQ in the first place. Bass is never too big a problem due to the genre of my music, though sometimes they're needed to make the music sound more fun IMHO.

Anyone else tried this mod?? In any case, kudos to afbug for sharing this piece of info with us! =D

Edited by joi-ful

Lol this is abit interesting, to be honest the treble boost will be very good, and i find the bass on the stock UM1s more than enough, however i plan to use it with my ipod nano unamped(don't like carrying so many things around lah). Any of you guys got a reccomendation for the mod?

Anyone have idea where to find the adapter + cable?

' date='3 Aug 2006, 10:00 AM' post='72309']

PM Xinomo.

Maybe u guys can ask him to add 100ohms in parallel, not the 75ohms

Or maybe 300ohms each side, and u need a powerful amp to drive it :P

I think he would have it, not too sure, but i would like to know how much it would cost

Someone on headfi mentioned that plugging in an attenuator and turning down the volume on it adds resistance. Will this work as well?

Think this was mentioned in conjunction with removing the hiss when used with ipods...