Sign in to follow this  
afbug

Who wants more treble/less recess on their UM1?

Someone on headfi mentioned that plugging in an attenuator and turning down the volume on it adds resistance. Will this work as well?

Think this was mentioned in conjunction with removing the hiss when used with ipods...

I've yet to try them with a volume attenuator, so I dunno. And with an attenuator, you don't know how much resistance you're adding. I only tested the UM1 with a 75ohm resister, so other amounts I don't know if it will work or not. Do a search in the classifieds for more info and the seller. Its a P-S adapter.

I'm afraid that adding too much resistance will impair the ability to drive it. I'm not using an amp. Is it correct to assume that more ohm = better sound?

I'm afraid that adding too much resistance will impair the ability to drive it. I'm not using an amp. Is it correct to assume that more ohm = better sound?

I don't know what player you're using but my Shuffle got no problems driving it. UM1 is not as inefficent as you think. For my case, no, more ohm don't = better sound. For example, it makes the UM2/CK7 sound worse for me. Don't make a difference on the Koss 60 ohm headphones. It only make the ER4P and HD595 sound better. It doesn't really make the UM1 sound better as you lose some bass as well.

I tried the attenuator from UE on my Super.fi 5 Pro, it seemed to work like a resistor. I tested it on a multimeter, it showed 215 ohms.

When plugged into a amp, it removed the hissing totally. Sound was alittle dim. However when i tried on my iPod Mini, i had to turn volume to the max. It turn out to sound more decent than normal volume and without attenuator. It gave the 'amped' effect.

The reply from Shure:

"The PA235 attenuator/volume control uses two 500 ohm resistors -- one between the left channel and ground, and one between the right channel and ground. So, the resistance is 500 ohms. Turning the thumbwheel changes how much of the signal is "bled" away to ground, which changes the level. It adjusts from no attenuation at all (0 dB) to about 70 dB of attenuation, which would essentially be "off"."

Is 500ohm gonna be too much? Maybe I should get the UE one from SE. Can someone test this?

I tried the attenuator from UE on my Super.fi 5 Pro, it seemed to work like a resistor. I tested it on a multimeter, it showed 215 ohms.

When plugged into a amp, it removed the hissing totally. Sound was alittle dim. However when i tried on my iPod Mini, i had to turn volume to the max. It turn out to sound more decent than normal volume and without attenuator. It gave the 'amped' effect.

Does the UE attenuator have a volume control too? I like it better since its just a plug instead of the cable of the shure one. Uncle say this Friday only the UEs will arrive...

The Ultimate Ears Attenuator is just a plug. 215 ohms as i have tested yesterday. You're using it for an IEM?

It gave a slight different taste with the attenuator onto an IEM. Reduced the sensitivity of the IEM from a portable player.

I tried on headphones, it didn't gave much change or anything. It became underpowered. As i bring the volume up to match the usual playing volume. It gave minimum difference.

I'll be using it for my UM1. 215 ohm seems to be overkill. I think something like 50 ohm would be the ideal balance between a better sound and ease to drive. Don't seem to be readily available on the market. Any DIY experts can help?