Sign in to follow this  
kenshin_himura

portable players

Pardon me for asking,

But what would amping a headphone out do to benefit the overall sound. If an already bad source (which has gone through the built in amp) is being "re-amped", wouldn't that just amplify the distortions?

If that is so, is the only benefit of amping a headphone out to drive those power-hungry cans? So does it mean that lower impedence 'phones don't need headphone out amping?

Sorry for all those questions... :P Am really new to the whole ampifer thing.

But what would amping a headphone out do to benefit the overall sound. If an already bad source (which has gone through the built in amp) is being "re-amped", wouldn't that just amplify the distortions?

It won't do much good. Most built in amp would corrupt the sound. There is benefit but very little.

If that is so, is the only benefit of amping a headphone out to drive those power-hungry cans? So does it mean that lower impedence 'phones don't need headphone out amping?

Yes, for power hungry cans. Depends on different cans, sometimes low impedence cans are power hungry and needs an amp.

X5 and Lineout doesn't match. There's audible lower bass falloff if I remember right.

You'd be better off amping from the headphone out, or adding a resistor inbetween the lineout and interconnect.

EDIT:

Never mind, found the image (Take note that this is without load)

IPB Image

do you have for ipod nano lineout, headphone out and ipod 5g lineout and headphone out?

Ask and you'll recieve (as long as I've seen it being done or have done it myself, note that these 5G and X5 results were not tabulated by me)

IPB Image

iAudio X5 VS iPod 5G volume matched. Both of these are taken from the HPO (Note that the fall off at the end of the lower bass spectrum did NOT reach 3dB, hence its supposedly unpercievable(sp?)).

In short, when zoomed out, this graph's pretty flat.

Oh yes BTW, I found the graph where amping the Lineout with a 32Ohm resistor is added in-between. Didn't do much help... Instead it got worse... I think a higher resistance MAYBE needed:

IPB Image

EDIT: Add: If anyone's willing to lend me the Nano or anything else to test out, I'll be willing to help and test them out tho ;)

Edited by Zephyron

I used the X5L last time, the stock docking line out sucked, but the headphone out very good.

Nope, just saying that he can get 'better' sound using the same DAP by using alternative means.

I didn't say the X5 was bad now did I? :P

Interesting topic. Incidentally, I have a friend who's Creative DAP is dying (big surprise there) and might be shopping for a DAP. He wants to get a CLT-720 but I keep telling him that he might as well get a X5L; beats carrying around all those CDs and swapping them around where he could just loseless the whole bunch.

The difference is percievable, the graphs are only there to back it up.

Hear it to believe it I'd say :P

Like I said, his ears, not yours. If he likes it, he likes it, he doesn't need some theorectical warrior to tell him it is no good.

Edited by flu_fighter

^

Okay, fine with that.

I didn't mean to offend anyone with those graphs and suddenly I get attacked like this? *lol*

The grapf shows -3dB at 40Hz. At that frequency you would hear "RUMBLE". Which is less sensitive to the ear but our skin can feel the impact on it.

The grapf shows -3dB at 40Hz. At that frequency you would hear "RUMBLE". Which is less sensitive to the ear but our skin can feel the impact on it.

lol. If your skin can feel the impact when using earphones/headphones , I'd like a set of whatever you are using.