Sign in to follow this  
aaron-xp

Posting

At last count, there are 1021 members who haven't posted at all... (sorry to include new members... But couldn't set filters to exclude)

*GASP* That's about 46.3% of the entire population... :shocking:

These threads are kept in archival mode and accessible to the entire internet...

if you are a regular at headfi, you can tell easily that a good lot of the people there are not native English speakers, but if they can type in full sentences, however broken the english is, why cant some of those here who have been educated in english language for like 100% of their lives type something that is legible?

go figure...

Yes, I am most certainly trying to understand this strange mentality as to why there are people who go out of their way to make themselves look silly. Seriously, what are they trying to achieve? some deep seated angst to hit out and tell the world, "hey, I don't give a Sxxx about what you think of me".

Fortunately or not, my folks frown on such behavior and it has rubbed off on me. When I first started learning English, I have to make so much effort and even now I have to speak a little slower than I would like, to make sure I am understood.

But to each his own. Otherwise there will be too many smart people for me to compete with, so looking back, I am glad there are people like that. Maybe I should start wishing there are more "lyke" him.

Yes, I am most certainly trying to understand this strange mentality as to why there are people who go out of their way to make themselves look silly. Seriously, what are they trying to achieve?

I think they are trying to archieve the Highest number of posts in the shortest amount of time from the day they joined the forum?

^ Like me? Joking... :P

Your posts are entertaining, not irritating and has substance. Speaking for myself, I enjoy them.

I think they are trying to archieve the Highest number of posts in the shortest amount of time from the day they joined the forum?

That's really some achivement. I still find it strange especially when there is no prize. What satisfaction can they get out of it. My papa showed me how the children of highly respected families behave and they are my role models. As I think through I really want to encourage these people to continue being silly. It will make life easy for us foreign born Singaporeans. The opportunity is given to us and we do not even have to fight for it. This and other local forums will suffer but why should I care when nobody does anyway.

Edited by surab

Well, I am indeed honoured... :P

Will definitely work to avoid such one liners... Just that I was really tempted to post that at that point of time... Sigh...

Don't worry though, I will never go down the "wlong load". Was once like that when I was in P5, thinking that it was real cool to speak in short form... Looking back, that's simply disrepecting the English language. I also have a dictionary tab opened when posting, just so that I can check the spelling of some words, given my rather bad spelling skills. Any bad spelling is probably some typographical error... :P

New rule? Why not state this:

No shortforms/improper english shall be allowed in SGheadphones.

My teacher had always emphasized on the difference between informal and improper English.

"I wan to buy u a present" Improper

"Hey pal, I'd like to buy a gift for you" informal

"Excuse me, good friend, I would like to give you a present" Too formal :P

My teacher had always emphasized on the difference between informal and improper English.

"I wan to buy u a present" Improper

"Hey pal, I'd like to buy a gift for you" informal

"Excuse me, good friend, I would like to give you a present" Too formal :P

Add another category - Rubbish English

I think some of us are assuming that everyone else has attained a similar (or perceived minimum) level of proficiency in written English but this is certainly not the case. Those who have been in touch with different spectrums of society should understand.

Give them a little more encouragement/coaching to use standard, grammatical English. That should be more helpful than sarcastic vibes or "monkey see, monkey do" antics.

My 2 cents worth, YMMV.

The way I see things posted here and the various threads; don't like the posting style and then go on and bash him. To me, thats childish and have no respect for that person. Its like, he likes a certain earphone or music style and you don't like, so bash him. Don't like or cannot understand, ask or pm the person to change or clarify and not bash, flame or snigger openly. Think what? EDMW Vs Flowerpod ah?! Please don't bring this kind of behaviour here. If you don't respect people, don't expect people to respect you.

Want this to be a mature forum, please take a look at some of your posting first.

This is just a small problem. Its not like he go bashing people. Don't like or understand what he is saying, just ask or pm him. If you don't understand whats been posted, isn't it your problem?

The purpose of this thread is not about this topic anyway. Please respect the threadstarter as well when you go OT.

Thanks for reading! :D

Edited by afbug

^ hmm...I hope this does not offend this guy/clone anyway...

thats definitely not a low level of english proficiency is that? Its more like pure "cuteness"...

This particular member is obviously trying to emulate another, whose use of "lyke", incidentally, has picked up in this forum. For the record (and the sake of some of our members who have somehow caught on with this incorrect spelling), the correct and acceptable spelling is "like". Or you can use "love" or whatever else comes up in your thesaurus. *tongue-in-cheek*

I agree with afbug to a certain extent, "Don't like or cannot understand, ask or pm the person to change or clarify and not bash, flame or snigger openly." That would be more constructive, IMHO.

I hope no one gets offended by my post. Thats not my intention. But I think bashing or flaming a person will not solve the problem. Will only invite more arguements.

' date='2 Sep 2006, 11:08 PM' post='76788']

YGPM. :sweat:

Where is the PM? :P

Edited by afbug

Guest joi-ful

Oh man, only 17 this year so I'm starting to feel really kiddish amongst the lao jiaos here. The Mr. Brown's culture has already infiltrated my school's English and I'm trying very hard not to bring it into this forum. lol.

Interesting thread. Allow me to ask something... what's YMMV??

Edited by joi-ful