Sign in to follow this  
aaron-xp

Posting

and if we do actively run some sort of "active campaign" to promote the correct use OPENLY, that would also serve to deter others from polluting this grounds we lurk...Im sure after this incident, most of us here would be subconsciously aware to at least speak in proper english, but what is to prevent the newcomers from doing otherwise? Maybe we can all come up with a way to solve this issue?

Haha, fongalv has made a very good point. In fact, the MOE is fully aware of uses of improper language by youngsters in their online conversation as well as written materials in school. I think the MOE made a point for the language teacher in Primary, Secondary and Junior Colleges to highlight the proper use of language for communications. However, compulsory language modules are implemented such as "Communication Skills for Work" and associated modules. The target of these modules were to educate the use of proper language and correct the habit of short forms and polluted langauge even in an informal ground such as online chats etc.

I feel that the forumers should be observe the etiquette especially in the use of langauge. On top of that, one should keep a open mind for ideas and suggestion. For example, if somebody asks for suggestion or recommendation of a headphone, simply state your suggestion and the properties that attracted you. If there is a need to compare a product, critic with senses and not because you simply didn't like the product for no particular reason. It might cause flames between the person who made the comment and the users of the product.

As many others have mentioned, flaming is a very poor behaviour. Observe the forumer's form of etiquette and sgHeadphones will be a lovely place. :))

' date='2 Sep 2006, 11:29 PM' post='76796']

Err, that's not quite true.. I've had seen customers on Friday who walked into Mr W's shop and was like saying how entertained they were over those postings, so yeah! It was fun... :D

If those people find such postings fun and get entertained, lol I got nothing to say. :P

Edited by afbug

Ya la. I go OT because of your previous post and I blame you. :bash: lol We have different ideas of entertainment so it seem. So each to his own. :P

So back to the point, why only half of members post here? I think the older members had move on with life and have commitments or other interest.

Some are shy? Or have nothing much to post. Some people prefer not to post I guess. Members come and go.

Edited by afbug

Wow, this is starting to get a little too constructive (i.e. requiring long replies) for my liking. LOL.

Anyway, to clear the air.

ok...im not really bashing anyone up am I?

No, nothing serious enough to be called "bashing" has occurred thus far. The word happened to show up in my post because I conveniently quoted afbug on that sentence which conveyed my general opinion on this issue, i.e. the need for constructive as opposed to destructive engagement.

Anw this showed up in post #16: "its like something my 3 year old niece would say, in a certain shorthand and distorted spelling..." Mockery, no? How about post #2: "At least they are better than those who post 80%-99% of BS and crap and use terms that they dont really understand about." I think the general tone in this thread has been one of condescension and sarcasm, which is in conflict with the harmonious culture I have come to associate with this forum.

do you really think the people here cannot spell "like" they just are doing it intentonally for some reason, and that attitude is unacceptable to me, personally...

That I agree, but most of it is in mockery of that particular member, not because they have been adversely influenced by him/her, which makes it even more contemptuous.

Im sure after this incident, most of us here would be subconsciously aware to at least speak in proper english, but what is to prevent the newcomers from doing otherwise? Maybe we can all come up with a way to solve this issue?

A kind reminder to newcomers (PM by moderators, if need be) should do the job, provided they have that minimum proficiency to write in grammatically sound English, i.e. they are ABLE to "code-switch". No amount of prodding or "poking fun" is going to help those who do not have a good grasp of the language, and we can only leave it to their parents and teachers to educate them, unless there are aspiring English teachers around here. :D

Wah lao! No point arguing anymore la. Lets get on with life and listen your your fav cans/music instead of making yourself agitated here! :beer:

Man, its just a small problem and it can escalate to a bigger one. I'm out of here, if I offended anyone with my post, sorry. Goodnitez. :yawn:

Sorry about my tone there, and I deeply apologise if I may sound too harsh.. but Absolute0 have u been browsing the forums lately and reading all those posts?

About the aspiring English teacher part, I'm sure we are all educated at least properly to be able to discern general/extreme or careful/purposeful errors right?

Haha I'm glad all of us now have some sort of agreement. The fact is, I have seen many of those posts and I do know who the member in question is. They irked me but I decided to let them pass because this is, afterall, a public forum, so it is only natural that it reflects the spectrum of views and language proficiency in our society. If you are annoyed enough to rant about it on this thread, why not just PM him/her to advise him/her to change? That's how I see it. But I do realise that all of us have no malicious intent and mean well for this forum, as well as the reputation of Singaporeans, so this course of action, though not totally desirable, is understandable.

As for the English teacher part, what I meant was that we would need someone with the patience and fastidiousness of an English teacher to correct every single error we are going to see. I, for one, know I am not up to the job. ^_^

And yes, we ought to return to the topic.

Edited by Absolute0

Oh man, only 17 this year so I'm starting to feel really kiddish amongst and lao jiaos here.

Gasp... :mellow: I feel so small amongst you guys...

fresh blood joins this forum ever so frequently and Im sure many of these are teenagers, or even kids since they have so much spending power these days, how much ability do you think they have to differentiate between good/bad english?

It isn't really age that matters in the maturity and proficiency of a person or an Englsih speaker for that matter. It is just an assumption that younger means "less experience/more childish" whilst older would more likely mean "wiser/more mature".

Personal opinion though. :))

As what some of you have done (correctly), if any post or conduct of any forumer were to make you feel offended and/or uncomfortable, report the post to admin/moderators and we will investigate and take the necessary action. This course of action not only alerts us of potential problems but also shield the "plaintiff" from impending backlash if he/she were to publicly denounce the concerned person. In addition, the "defendant" will be cordially advised on how to blend in and correct his conduct via private correspondence. We hope that the concerned will capitalise on having an opportunity to mend his ways and avoid embarrassment if a public lashing were to be given by us, which is inappropriate and impolite.

As we have found out in previous cases, it's usually a misunderstanding, plain and simple. Those that are truly antagonistic and looking for trouble will be banned from this forum without hesitation or they just simply fade away after being sent to Coventry.

Edited by Mackie

not often I come across a phrase in English that i'm totally unfamiliar with... :)

From wikipedia:

To be sent to Coventry is to be ostracised, shunned, or otherwise systematically ignored. Some believe that the phrase dates from the English Civil War, when a military prison was located in that city ...

The phrase has been adapted by internet forum programmers, particularly the popular vBulletin program which has the "Tachy goes to Coventry" option where a forum administrator can cause a user to be automatically "ignored" by all users (rendering their posts invisible).

This term is commonly found in Enid Blyton's books (my primary school years....man.....28-33 years ago) on life in boarding schools eg. Malory Towers and St. Clares.

Edited by Mackie

' date='2 Sep 2006, 06:01 PM' post='76740']

At least they are better than those who post 80%-99% of BS and crap and use terms that they dont really understand about.

:D

Anyway, new members must post a few to let us know your existence!

If u want to be a lurker, no problem, but please do not surface from the bottom of the forum sea and start posting like crazy... :shocking:

I meant to highlight this :rolleyes:

In light of recent incidents...

Rock on SgHead! :party:

Err, which incident?? :blush: