Sign in to follow this  
stussyking

recommendation on getting 2 grados..

hmm fongalv, IMHO i dun think its counterproductive. i have yet to develop any listening styles yet , so yah. there u go. others' perspective n mine. so its a whole new ball game altogether

bluemoon, lets say u can hear the diff in SQ n i simply dun , i roughly can gauge how sensitive my ears are also

:)

Edited by stussyking

i have yet to develop any listening styles yet

Which is THE reason why it is counterproductive. Some peoples opinion are swayed towards a certain trait of a can, others can mean a totally different direction. In the end, what you get is an even bigger confusion when you purchase the product and listen to it yourself for the first time. Some people find specific cans dry and boring, but to seasoned listeners, it might mean analytical and neutral. Others find it lacking in accuracy, but some find it fun and etc. You get what I mean.

The statement of, "others' perspective n mine. so its a whole new ball game altogether " can only be applied if everyones here has the same set of ears, the same level of taste and the same listening styles. You will need to develop at least some form of listening style before this can be applied, as by then, you would have understood some user's perspective & approach to certain sonic characteristic.

bluemoon, lets say u can hear the diff in SQ n i simply dun , i roughly can gauge how sensitive my ears are also

the above statement makes it worse. If you can't hear the difference in SQ, you are blessed with the fact that 1 can is ALL you'll ever need. Because it's really not going to matter to you so much between a $150 can or a $700 can. The difference in SQ between the two is going to sound only marginally better to your ears. Does it make economical sense to splurge 700 for something a 200 pair of can could easily satisfy?

Now we understand what you are trying to accomplish, many of us here is trying to help you, and you wanting to know everything all at one shot is not going to help. Other than make you more confused.

Anyway, I would like to know what you'd purchase so far. You tell us what you bought, and what you wanna understand about that 1 purchase. Helping you along that 1 purchase to a better listening system is better than you not having anything to build your understanding around.

stussyking: U are on the right track in researching the right product for you but this must be substantiated by actually listening to the product and see if your findings will concur with the reviewers'. In actual sense, you will discover the reviewers' preferences which contributed to his/her opinions, and that is imperative. I couldn't fault you in trying hard to come to a sound decision on your next purchase but I reckon you may have a wrong approach on using reviews as benchmarks. Say for instance you have tried DT880 and found cmk's opinions are more in line with yours than mine, you could do well by using cmk's findings to target a specific product you like in future.

Back to the question on Beyer cans, please see the following:

Latest range

DT990 (flagship)

DT880

DT770

Previous range

DT880 (flagship)

DT990

DT770

Pro range (clamp pressure is higher) and lookalike of the "previous range"

DT770 pro

DT990 pro

Concurrent premium range - foldable and 32ohms impedance

DT860

DT660

DT440

Pro studio headsets

DT770 pro

DT990 pro

DT150

DT250

DT100

Edited by Mackie

right thanks a lot guys.. anyway its all theory and i have to back it up with practicals.. lol.. sounds like sch.. guess thats why we go to sch .. lol