Sign in to follow this  
stussyking

recommendation on getting 2 grados..

It's Jaben. Please familiar yourself in this forum first and please use the Search function on top of the page before asking any questions! And also please post in the appropriate forum.

Anyway, welcome to SGHeadphones. ;)

Despite my liking for Grados and having many Grados in my inventory, I will advise against buying 2 Grados for different kinds of music because they have similar tonal balances. Unless you like to collect (or hoard), that's a different matter.

If I were you, I would just go for the best Grado I can afford (they are actually very capable phones) and move on with my life. Buying multiple cans that sounds similar with the intention of getting different tonal balance isn't a good idea. If you have to own multiple cans for different music (which I think is an overkill, at least for me, since during the time I own multiple phones with different signatures, I ended up with the SR325i 99% of the time) go buy cans with opposite sound signatures.

My sentiments exactly, Username. Most of the grados generally have the same sound signature, hence it's not advisable to get two grados if you want to use them for different music genres. It would make more sense to get two grados if one is intended for portable use, and the other for your home setup, and that's provided you are very sure the grado house sound is the one and only for you, as there is a myriad of other (arguably better) choices out there.

If you must, I would get one grado (RS-1/GS-1000) and one alessandro (MS-1/MS-2i). But I'd rather get a Senn HD6X0 or the AKG K701.

Get the Grado SR-80 -it's better then the SR-60 when amped (ie a portable amp or computer source that has decent headphone out like on apple computers - sorry only have experience with apple computers). As for alessendro it's made by grado and is supposed to have a more neutral balance (for studio use). I personally think they are so close to each other that it comes down to individual units sounding a bit different. That are no 2 beyer DT880 that sound identical likewise for Senn HD-600 or Grados. I put it down to different run in periods degree of use/abuse and of course there must be slight variations from one production run to the next. But if your ears are really that sensitive then go for the Grado SR-225. Why dont to visit Music By Design or Stereo Electronics and Jaben to see what you like.

Edited by Rameish

I only have experience with SR-80 and would recommend it. Personally, I'm more of a Senns person but I do own a SR-80 and can appreciate why many like the sound. As with Username and Absolute0, not sure why you'd want to buy 2 grado's but I had 2 Senns and I only use my 600 now. In fact, I use it most of the time among all my other headphones... except when on the move of course... so much for my initial intent of have different phones for different musc :P

Do take your time and listen to the phones before buying them... preferrably to music you're familiar with. Cheers

Guest joi-ful

If budget is a concern, then simply pick the model that's within your budget. Shouldn't be too hard of a problem then. Enjoy your Grado's!

225 a bit too ex for me leh...

Don't rush to buy 2 phones first. The best is to buy something good and something you like. Maybe you could get a 1 MS2i with the money for 2 cans. then enjoy the music. Slowly along the line, you know what kind of sound you are looking for. Only then you go buy your second can.

When you buy 2 cans now, most likely 1 will be under-used. Plus with the low budget, it's not worth to get 2 low end cans

I concur. Buy one for now. Let your taste matures and after prolonged listening, if you hope to improve on a certain or a few sonic aspects, then you can proceed with the purchase of another pair of cans to compliment the first one. Economical and wise, this will be.