Sign in to follow this  
mychew

How would a headamp help your cans?

Hm..talking about this, i think i got raised this up to N@Z before. I have a friend whose uncle helps people to repair electronics and audio devices. He claim that his uncle has a golden ear too and told him that there is no need for a headphone to get a headamp, headamp only can boost up the volume but not the sound quality. He said last time he is very fancy of hi-fi and learn a lot from his uncle. But he don't own a headphone himself...just a normal one for music listening. He prefers speakers to headphones. He said eventhough u buy the highest-end set of headphone also cannot beat a pair of speakers. Somemore got 3D surround effects and deep bass like what Mackie had mentioned before.

He strongly disagree on the idea for me to get a headamp. But i just dun listen to him. He just shrug and sigh. Say i'll regret if i buy headamp. U never try, how u know it doesn't work?he replies me with "trust me, don't buy headamp, useless for u, waste money only".

I wonder how would u guys response regarding his advice to me?But for me, i can say that there is really a difference there. Although i don;t own a headamp yet, but my dad got it, although not really an amp, at least it's both a receiver and an amp. I can differentiate the sound quality from the source with amp and without amp using my set of cans. Although i think my dad's amp got problem, but u can still experience the difference sound reproduction capabilities of a source with amp and without amp.

Hope you guys can spend time reading and feedback actively on this topic.. smile.gif

Mychew

Reading thru your post, I've already found a few points worth contesting and if brought to light, I think a few of us here can debate till your friend gags.

Take everything U read and hear with a pinch of salt...including us. Never make a sweeping statement or disregard any component that U've not tried. Keep an open mind and don't heed any advice thrown to U blindly. Try and decide for yourself. If U are mixed on getting head amps, make some friends here and audition their stuffs. If head amps do not make any sense to U sonically, go without one. If it does, go with it. In the end, the biggest fool is not the one who speaks gibberish but the one who actually follows blindly.

For newbies, try to learn as much as possible and judge the facts for yourself. Nothing is absolute in music nor audiophilia. Otherwise, there won't be so many different renditions of Beethoven Symphony no. 9 although the conductors are looking at the same composer sheet.

One last word, don't try to argue with your friend after U've become more knowledgeable as U may lose a friendship. tongue.gif Let him be if he's adament in his philosophy.

Yup, hope can try out different setup from friends i know here. I do believe an amp can bring out a different listening experience. That's why i am planning to get an headamp and wish to have u audit together with me. If time aloows and u r willing to, i hope u would let me audition. And maybe give me some guides on how to audit a device efficeintly and effectively, perhaps headphones and headamps wink.gif

Hope we can soon finalised the free time and audit it together. I believe people won't talk about the greatness of having a headamp to drive your cans, if it's just a fairy tale. I don't really believe what people said blindly until i really experience it myself. But i can deny, sometime i just spur for it without thinking twice. But not for headphones and related devices. Coz i really mind the sound quality. No matter how cheap it is, if it cant satisfied my minimum requirement, i won't think much but just to give it up. As for taste, like u had said before, it's really very personal. Therefore one's taste might not suits the other's. But i'm sure if u have a golden ear, at least have experience in listening to good sound quality or sound reproduction, then no matter what pieces of music u r listening to, u would definitely, although not very accurately, differentiate the differences there. Am i right?

When I swapped opamp within my head amps, the sound also changes. This says that not all headamps sound the same, like wise even the headphone output of the cdplayer(Likely opamp base coz cheap and easy to implement) will sound different from each other. So can't say they all sound the same.

BTW, I don't have golden hears and I can't hear the difference in alot of tweaks.

Oh yeah, Mackie, since you have found some points worth contesting, why don't u just post it here to share with us?As i also wish to know more. Don't worry,i won't try to argue with him. I would just let him be smile.gif Because he is also one of my good friend and quite helpful also.

U don't need golden ears to differentiate the subtle areas in sound, just experience. As yet, those who claim they have golden ears do not draw admiration but only disdain. The reason is how can one measure and conclude a pair of ears as "golden"? Unless of course he/she can pick up signals beyond or at a fairer extent, all that is prevalent inside 20-20HKz. I personally know one guy who has golden ears.........my cat Tabby! wub.gif

Oh yeah, Mackie, since you have found some points worth contesting, why don't u just post it here to share with us?As i also wish to know more. Don't worry,i won't try to argue with him. I would just let him be smile.gif Because he is also one of my good friend and quite helpful also.

If these are brought to light, it's gonna turn out to be a debate between our beliefs. Futile and a waste of time as there's no rule of thumb to follow. Hence, I refrain. Hope U'll understand.

Edited by Mackie

I agree with u, Mackie, but the term golden ear is also what i often hear from people who claims their friends have golden ears biggrin.gif

But i don't really know whether there are really golden ears or not. But i do believe, the more u listen, the more u can sense or feel the differences smile.gif

yup, jtfoo, sound did change, whenever u switch your source. For this, i can sure, cause i got try it before.

Edited by mychew

You can't teach an old dog new tricks. innocent.gif

sorry.. what u mean N@Z? do u mean that my friend are so stubborn until we can't make him learn from us? tongue.gif sorry....my English bad wink.gif

Correct!!! Hehehe, I'm being noti!

jump.gif Haha....the problem is he don't even want to hear what can come out from a headamp. He just said,"forget it, just a volume booster, all i can hear is just louder music"... dry.gif

I don't think bringing him together to audit or let him listen to my setup would make him change his mindset that headamp is just a volume booster unsure.gif

He don't even wanna give himself a chance or a try, who can help him right?

As we always said..if u dun wanna help yourself, then nobody can help u.. tongue.giflol.gif

I think he's just trying to say "speakers are superior to your headphone and I why should I spend so much money for amp if headphone is not my cup of tea?"

As you already said, he doesn't own a good headphone and matching amp.

Infact, yesterday I went to tee's place. He has astounding speaker setup and the stage is something that headphones can NEVER rival. But one thing good about headphone is that it lets you enjoy music in a different way. Everything sounds more personal. In your head music I would call.

Nah.. if I were you, I wouldn't waste time trying to convince him. Let him believe what he wants to believe. Stubborn people are a real waste of time smoke.gif