Sign in to follow this  
mychew

How would a headamp help your cans?

Hm... thought this was gonna be a thread with simple questions and answers.

Mychew,

The ah pek you talk to is not wrong. I have come across a few people in this hobby that adopts very similar attitude towards varying aspects. In fact they are all RIGHT. (Look Mackie! General Sweeping Statement!)

They all mean well but they are only advising within their capacity. Everyone has their own bias, musical tastes and knowledge. First and foremost, this guy is already a speaker biased person. Who is to say he gives the same attention when critically auditioning a cans stereo as with his preferred, loudspeakers? Next, something heard a week ago is just as stale as something a month ago. Human memory of audio experiences are incredibly short. Lastly, ... ah screw it. I won't even go into time of day, mood, music, the room and myriad of other factors that can affect the final sound and its perceived experience.

Also, what he says is better is within the context of something was compared and favoured as it brought the final sound closer to his musical tastes and likes more than the other.

It aint your tastes and likes.

Accept advise, appreciate it only knowing why people advise so. This hobby is all about relativity and subjectivity. "One man's bright sound may be another's detailed and spacious sound" So what's the gist of my babble? Listen for yourself.

Edited by fishball79

The good thing about headphone is:

If you made a mistake buying the wrong one, you will lose a few hudred at most. If you buy a wrong speaker, it can go up a few thousand.

(I think Rameish said these before... tongue.gif)

So it is always good to learn music this way and it won't occur heavy damage...

that's what extensive audition is for biggrin.gif

I believe when it comes to money, and alot of $$(speaker for example), one must audition it extensively. Sometimes it may involve weeks and weeks just to hear that gear. But if you are not sure, then you better do make sure because it's your money afterall smile.gif

When you've made up your mind, you only have yourself to blame if you don't like them after purchase. wink.gif

my personal experience is that amps do make a difference.

The difference that I noticed driving my etys with the meta42 is that bass has better texture and goes deeper, overall more coherent sound, better detail resolution thus overall more refined and realistic sound.

I dont think that an amp will change your headphone into something radically different, i.e. if you dont like a headphone atall in the first place the amp it not likely to make u start liking it.

But if you do like the basic sound you are getting and want to better it or tweak it to your liking the amp certainly helps.

This is ofcourse with my limited experience and may be I dont have 'golden ears' to hear what amps really can achieve w00t.gif

you're definately right on that rohit!

I think that 'golder ear' guy simply is not interested in amps lah.. not that there isn't any difference. We all know amps do make a difference. LOl.. otherwise why is gilmore so popular laugh.gif

Maybe must let him listen to good system with emp and r-10? cool.gif

well but then again he can always say it 'doesn't sound any different from cd output'

Edited by Blues

Mychew,

Actually, a headphone based system lets you listen to music at a much higher fidelity than a speaker based sysem of the same price. That is a S$450 headphone will outperform a S$450 speaker.

A headphone amp (like all amps) need to be partnered with the headphones (or speakers) to drive the transducers well. A low impedence pair of cans generally need higher current while a high impedence can needs higher voltage. An amplifier is a booster. To amplify means to "make bigger/louder".

You don't need to have golden ears to tell you that a Beyer DT-880 or Senn HD-600 or Grado SR-325 all sound better with PROPER amplification.

Headphone amps became popular because:

1) Most equipment nowsaday don come with headphone out

2) The few that do usually suck bigtime (there are exceptions)

The importance of an amplifier designed specifically for headphones is IMO an often overlooked area as most people focus on headphones.

that's what extensive audition is for biggrin.gif

I believe when it comes to money, and alot of $$(speaker for example), one must audition it extensively. Sometimes it may involve weeks and weeks just to hear that gear. But if you are not sure, then you better do make sure because it's your money afterall smile.gif

When you've made up your mind, you only have yourself to blame if you don't like them after purchase. wink.gif

Unless you live say where I am & auditioning is next to near impossible. You have to base some of your buying decision on advice & getting to know people with similar/closest tastes to recommend. That makes it alot harder. Although the other alternative (flying over to Spore) works out more expensive overall.

Fishball,

We share the same conclusion......personal auditions are imperative be it for purchases or opinions on any audio product. As long as one has a mindset in this hobby, no one has the right to change him. Hence, I refrained from commenting mychew's friend.

However, there's a difference in principles between his friend's uncle and mine. Everyone can draw their own conclusions and preference but I personally think's it's not fair to the concerned parties who are either influenced or pressured to support or write off any ancillaries. Just my own opinion.

Hmm.. if headamps dont matter then doesnt it imply all power amplifiers

are the same, as long as they can drive your speakers to the desired

levels without clipping?

On the other hand, a slightly off-topic article about audiophile foolishness,

a good read if you havent already seen it:

Audiophile Myths

EDIT: Link doesnt seem to work, please click on 'Myths' tab on the left navigation bar

Edited by erickoh

I guess ultimately is wat you really want. To me hifi can never be perfect. There will always be flaws. If you know what is really your listening preference, go for what matters to you. It will save you lots of money.

You will live with what you buy. Not the one who adviced you. Trust you own ears happy.gif

Great. At least I had supporters here... LOL..i don't mean that support me to argue with him. But support my stand that amps really stands a place here and I strongly agree that we must trust our own ears coz we have our own taste. But, do be open and listen to other ppl's opinion and advices. U never know, maybe u would learn something new from each other?For my friend, since he is not willing to agree with me, that means he would never got chance to learn new things that i learnt from u guys here or myself. Bcoz he doesn't want to listen to what i say. He just sticks to his very own belief. He always tells me that, "coz i know the amp can never help to improve the sound quality of a pair of headphone, therefore i would refer to buy a normal headphone. why waste my money on a volume booster?" And he always ask me to invest my money in something more worth the value, such as a high-end amp with a set of speakers, then some more u can plug in your headphone to the headphone out of that amp, if it got." Trust me, don't waste money on headamp."

When he heard i wanna get a headamp like what i mentioned here earlier, he said that i'll regret for buying that. He said he can guarantee there will be no sound improvement there,if got, only a volume up for your headphone.

Nah, as Blues had said, i looks like wanna convince him, but i give up, coz i tried before. Haha, how stupid i am. I swear i would not repeat the same mistake twice tongue.gif

On the other hand, a slightly off-topic article about audiophile foolishness,

a good read if you havent already seen it:

Audiophile Myths

is this true??

some of them sound logical

Headphones are speakers next to your ears. So if speakers need careful partnering with an amp to perform it's best then why is it that headphones don't? There's no logic in your friend uncle's thought process. On the other hand, just audition how an amp inproved the sound of your headphones will convince you. If you hear no difference, then don't get an amp.

Yup...impressive Rameish! If i can hear a difference, there's no doubt that he is wrong. And i would still not trying to convince him anymore. Make no sense for me to convince him and tell him what i heard since he does not believe in headamp. He also does not believe that a pair of headphone can produce any sound quality that can beat a pair of speakers. He probably will said that i'm a newbie, know nothing much about hi-fi and headphone's stuffs.

Anyway, as long as i can prove to myself that i'm right, i care nothing for how he thinks. Because i'm the one who is enjoying, not him. He don't appreciate capabilities of headphones. let him be.

And please spare me to say something that will offend him but not u all...hehe

U don't believe me?Big deal! U think i care?LOL..... of course i won't say this to him tongue.gif Coz he is my fren tongue.gif

Edited by mychew

wait till he tries etys 4 series. or other higher end cans like beyer 880, sony 3k, gradoes etc.

Etys can beat plenty of speakers in detail and overall sound quality except for soundstage. But they have isolation to compensate for that. And no $400 speakers can ever come close.