Sign in to follow this  
Shiro MS08th

Power cords and interconnects

I agree Klotz GY107 does not bode well for all systems, just like any cable. You gotta select and understand the characteristics of how your system and cable sound individually and then try to match them; known as synergy. Any system that lacks transparency and leans toward the dark side should not use GY107 as it's better served with Belden 89259, for instance.

You asked if 1694A is the best cable for digital signal. Answer is a resounding "no" as the best are probably being used by major broadcasting companies. Even then, are you searching for a best-all-round, best-sounding, best-signal carrier, best-value for money?

Price over performance/specifications wise, Belden 1694A and its equivalent from Canare, are the chosen one, especially with home theater crowds. Signal dropout is almost nil visually. I'm using 10m run of both the Canare and Belden 75-ohm cables for my projector. As an interconnect between cdp and dac, I didn't notice any shift in tonality using 1694A.

Edited by Mackie

Mackie, Thanks for your info.

I should've said best in LHS as I was planning a visit today as I wrote that - i'll get the 1694 for my DAC to DVD.

I juts went to order more of the 259 (confirmed) as I like the sound. I was planning to order 2 sets of 89364 for my pc, but they ran out. I ordered a 83803 to try out instead.

Did cross my mind to try out the Koltz in my system but changed my mind as I doubt I'll like it much given the negative impression before.

Robert did mentioned just now that 259 is quite an old standard that was popular before all this DIY became popular.

I left the 207 to burn-in in office system further before testing again as it's quite characterless - neither good nor bad. I've fitted all with Neutric connector, so can easily resolder with new cable if I don't like the sound.

Besides affordability, all this DIY cables does add another dimension to the hobby.