Sign in to follow this  
Shiro MS08th

Power cords and interconnects

Hi all.

Just got my Marantz cdp and exchanged amp today.

Would like to know what kind of power cords and interconnects will be better.

Saw Mackie faq thread on interconnects.

I think I like the Klotz GY107, but does the power cord of it also same?

And where can I buy that?

Would like to get 1.5-2m each for the cdp, amp and IC for the RCA-RCA.

And how much will it costs?

If there is any other more recommends for power cords and IC, I will be thankful!

Thanks!

folgalv:

So powercord entry level kind only got belden to choose from?

What's the difference between the 2 belden cables?

I would prefer a warmer and dynamic sounding kind.

Then for the IC, how much is for like example klotz cable + termination with caps?

Like neutric caps or any other that is warmer sounding kind?

Thanks again!

You helped alot!

Finished reading the thread at a glance kind, will do more detailed reading tomorrow.

So if I want the power cord need:

1) belden 83803 cables

2) UK plug, got hospital grade which is $5 more expensive

3) shutter IEC *I have no idea what this is though*

Then I get all this thing and go the LHS to ask them make for me?

For IC, I think i'm pretty going to get Klotz GY107 cables, but dunno what caps, need recommendations from you guys.

But also, to make the whole thing, LHS can assemble for me as long I buy the caps and other stuffs from there, is it right?

Thanks again.

Ooh.

So how much more is the bullet plug than neutrik caps?

What's a better power cord than 83803 with $10-20 more?

I don't mind spending more money for cables as I know I can reuse later.

But I want it to be warmer/dynamic sounding, cause I prefer warmer sounding though.

haha!

Thanks again!

Ooh.

So how much more is the bullet plug than neutrik caps?

What's a better power cord than 83803 with $10-20 more?

I don't mind spending more money for cables as I know I can reuse later.

But I want it to be warmer/dynamic sounding, cause I prefer warmer sounding though.

haha!

Thanks again!

I believe he meant getting the 83803 at $10-20 more than the 19364.

Bullet plug from LOK cost 15-20 EACH versus 20 for a pair of the neutriks. There are more expensive varieties if which you can get at musiclink (beach road shaw leisure gallery)

Hi Shiro,

I have DIYed power cords from 83803, they do me is value for money but i think there is also a version with only two wire (cheaper) provided your cdp does not need the earth.

To smooth all the spikes, try Audio Prism - Quite Line filters. They work wonders. Lastly plug in a 75ohm resistor in the cdp coaxial out if there is one.

Above are some external mods. Try all external mods before stripping your baby.

Cheers,

clemo

Hi fongalv,

I got the QuietLine filter years ago in Adelphi. Its somewhere from 70 to 100, if i remember correctly. For the coaxial plug, use a RCA and short it with a 75ohm resistor.

Cheers,

clemo

Hi fongalv,

I got the QuietLine filter years ago in Adelphi. Its somewhere from 70 to 100, if i remember correctly. For the coaxial plug, use a RCA and short it with a 75ohm resistor.

Cheers,

clemo

clemo any pictures of what u mentioned..?

Hi zero61zero,

Improvement forget liao. But its still in my system, too lazy to plug out and in again. No harm trying out, simple and cheap trial.

I would go in the order of power cable, filters and cheap thrill. All what the hack, just lump all then slowly remove each to find out what you're missing. Sometime we waste too much time fine tuning our system and miss out all the music.

Cheers,

clemo

hi clemo,

i tot this was a cheap tweak to play, i think i got almost everything.

just need to put them together.

not sure was it a tired me or its the system. i suddenly find my living room system (speakers) sound very weird yesterday. only certain cd sound nice. however the headphones sound so much better, usually its the oher way round.

Maybe i am just tired. will try out tonight again and also the 75 ohm tweak.

I say the filter is the best bet for bright system, it really took the sharpness off and adds thump to the bass.

fongalv: I was actually told that the powercord for CDP dosent matter much, personally I dont know as my CDP cord is the cheap "radio" 2pin kind...

I think you were misinformed. If you believe in "garbage in-garbage out" concept, any tweak at the source should yield the most benefits sonically. It's true that gauge of the power cord does not matter as much as that for an amp because cdp does not drain lots of current than an amp. However, a stable and quiet power line to source equipment will help to reduce interference at the digital and analogue signal conversion circuitry.

Shiro MS08th: So powercord entry level kind only got belden to choose from?

What's the difference between the 2 belden cables?

I would prefer a warmer and dynamic sounding kind.

Remember that interconnects and power cords serve to tweak the sound that your system inherits and they don't change its overall characteristics. Think of it as fine adjustment of a TV set.

For the tweak on unused digital output, please check out the thread "Mackie's plug". They work especially well with Marantz cdps. This tweak was also tried by other audiophiles in www.audioreview.com when I posted a review of a cdp, inclusive of this tweak.

On my part, I don't recommend Belden 83802/803 cable as power cord for a source as it makes them sound edgy at the top end, not unless you have a source that has much treble rolloff. This was highlighted many times in previous threads, especially those regarding power cord upgrade for amps. I favour Belden 19364 as a better and more user friendly cable to be had as power cord for sources. Although it might not have the bass tightness of 83803, the overall presentation is much improved over the stock cord and most importantly, smoother from midrange to treble and thus, kinder to most ears.

Belden 19364 costs $10/m. Terminate it with a MK UK 3-pin plug, be it white or red as internal structure are of hospital grade, and finally, a Shurter IEC female plug on the other end. I reckon the hole receipe for 1m will not cost you more than $30.

Last but not least, sonic improvement from power cords are harder to discern than interconnects, but the improvement over the stock cord should be quite obvious. My concern is whether your cdp has a captive power cord or a IEC male connector that allows easy swopping of power cords.

hi clemo,

i tot this was a cheap tweak to play, i think i got almost everything.

just need to put them together.

not sure was it a tired me or its the system. i suddenly find my living room system (speakers) sound very weird yesterday. only certain cd sound nice. however the headphones sound so much better, usually its the oher way round.

Maybe i am just tired. will try out tonight again and also the 75 ohm tweak.

If your system sounds weird like wooly or "cavey", your might have a phase or polarity problem in regard to power and speakers connection. Are there any US-standard power cords and/or power conditioner in your system? If it's affirmative, please start a new thread as we can discuss from there. In the meantime, listen to your system again and confirm if there is indeed a problem.

Edited by Mackie

If your system sounds weird like wooly or "cavey", your might have a phase or polarity problem in regard to power and speakers connection. Are there any US-standard power cords and/or power conditioner in your system? If it's affirmative, please start a new thread as we can discuss from there. In the meantime, listen to your system again and confirm if there is indeed a problem.

yup i think thats the word to use, i guess.

cdp to amp to speaker, no us plugs only 2 plugs uk plugs on a normal tray.