Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

KurtW META Vs Porta Corda II

N@Z, don't shy. I put for you wink.gif

Rohit: very nice! yes.gif if you could edit it to the original size, and make the background transparent, I'd happily replace the one I have on the site with yours!

My impression on the PCII is very good, indeed!

I suspect the crackling sound is blamed on the Volume/On/Off switch. I think that one design aspect that can be improved on. Other than that I can live with it. headphone.gif

I personally don't like the on/off switch incorporated with the volume control.

Give me back my HP-1.kidding.

lol.giflol.giflol.gif LOL!!

N@Z,

Why don't you like the on/off switch with the volume pot? It saves having to add another switch to an already crowded facia. I mean if the switch was on the side it would ba a little more problematic to switch it on and off in portable use.

BTW you new Alps volume pot has arrived. So that scratch post will soon be a thing of the past.

Matbon,

How come you not using your Plastics One mini to mini? I suspect it's made by Etymotic for Headroom (just take a look at an Ety 4S cable and mini jack and you'll see what I mean). Can't confirm for sure of course.

The member sometimes known as Guyferd,

The HP-1 are they best cans I have heard so far. But the weight just reminds me of army days when I had to wear the metal helmet like Vic Morrow in Combat (I don't think you'll know combat series but some of the older guys here will. If only Joe Grado had made them lighter I would have kept them (hell, even the SR-325 seems super light next to the HP-1).

rameish: no wonder you seemed to prefer the rs-1 the last time. Hm hm.. got it biggrin.gif

To the member formerly know as Guyferd,

The RS-1 and the HP-1 to me offer a level of performance not found elsewhere. Are they perfect for every kind of music? No, the HP-1 comes close and RS-1 is more coloured. However, the weight of the HP-1 ensures that I can't listen to more than say 2 hours of music at a time.

RawHit,

This is a warning: Make sure the safe has three features - thumbprint ID, combination lock, and key.

Kidding of course, enjoy it man. It's a great headphone. Dare I say it, yes. Amoung all the headphones I've listened to - in pure performance - the Grado HP-1 is if not King definately not a pretender to the throne.

rameish , 'blues' will do lah wink.gif

Rameish, there's a tactile feel to having a power toggle/rocker switch compared to a combined power/volume knob. It reminds me of cheap transistor radios of yore. Also the way the PCII is designed is more of a belt clip/external clip on hence no matter where the power button is located it is still fairly easily accessible.

Presently it's crowded because the fascia is occupied by all the necessary bits. I'd prefer if the input was on the side & the socket for wallwart is on the outside rather than hiding in the battery compartment. It's a personal thang I guess.

Guyferd-Cookie-Blues,

Hmm..could be a song title. I know! I'm just yanking your chain LOL.

N@Z,

I don't know what to say LOL. It a portable amp fo crying out loud - but I do agree about the DC inlet. Maybe we'll see it in the mark 3 version in 1-2 years time.

To the member formerly know as Guyferd..

a bit OT, but reminds me of "The Artiste Formerly Known As Prince".

tongue.gif

Getting back on track:

Revisited the PCII using same PCDP & etymotics ER-4S.

Used Eric Clapton & BB King - Riding with the King CD

The music is highly enjoyable. It shows the two masters of blues at their ease playing & singing with nothing to prove. Both performers have a distinct vocal & guitar timbre. EC with his warm & fat fender guitar tone and similarly his warm & easy going vocals. Whereas BB has a clean higher pitch gibson tone & sharp vocals.

The PCII is able to distinctly potray both styles & sound clearly. Compared with the META the PCII lacked top end bite which can be heard in the slight distortion on some of BB's vocal. With EC on the META I heard a distinct warblyness in his throat, which made me feel like clearing my throat! This is heard to a lesser degree on the PCII. PCII had a reverby (echoey?) sound in the background. I didn't notice this on the META which emphasized the dryness of the etys. Although PCII lacked certain things it is still enjoyable to listen to & it was able to drive the etys with relative ease. Bass is lean but extension is fairly good. Notably the PCII is able to pick out different guitar sound and performers intonation (Style of playing) distnictly even when both swapped to acoustic guitars. EC favouring a more fingering riff like playing whereas BB a more towards lead guitar. Here the META excelled at potraying the sound of acoustic guitar more naturally as the timber & transients are clearer/sweeter. Percussive sound of BB's 'licks' are heard very clearly & you can tell he is using the fret board closest to the plucking area due to the 'clicking' sound on the strings.

I tried crossfeed again. It helped reduce that reverby sound. On this CD at least it doesn't sound congested like I mentioned before. On one particular track where a Rhodes keyboard was used it produced a panning like sound. Without crossfeed it felt disconcerting, crossfeed 'on' it made the panning sound smoother & seemless from channel to channel due to less panning 'distance' to travel. Also with crossfeed ehgaged, on this CD at least, I couldn't detect any detrimental effects to the lows, mids or highs. Sounded the same to me with or without crossfeed. Just the presentation is changed from around the head to slightly infront of the face. Unlike Headroom's Airhead/Total Airhead, when crossfeed is engaged highs were dulled & bass was lower & slightly muddied. It still moved the headstage to around the same position though. Overall the PCII is more successful here.