Sign in to follow this  
ablaze

M-audio opamps replacement

ok. I've replaced another opamp. (just now was the filter opamp)

user posted image

this time, its the left buffer opamp (5532-->8620 as well)

so the right buffer opamp is not replaced (ie. still the 5532)

..which brings me to an interesting comparison!

since I can now downmix my music from stereo to mono (ie. the same music in both channels) and additionally, mute one channel at a time, I'm able to directly A/B the left (8620opamp) vs the right (5532 ie. the original opamp)! initial impressions are positive in favour of the new opamp (of course. if it wasn't better, after all that work, I would've shot myself tongue.gif) the 8620 sounds much cleaner and crisper. the old 5532 sounds overly warm and boomy in comparison.

of course this is assuming, my left ear and right ear hear the same, and the left and right drivers of my headphones play the same. do opamps need burn-in too? rolleyes.gif

hahaha left ear and right ear doesn't hear quite the same. so are you planning to go for the third opamp change as well? how about the DAC? it sure looks interesting.

Edited by evil-zen

maybe I should try turning the headphones around to test? wink.gif haha..

yeah. the only reason I left that last 5532 there is cos my second batch of 8620 'samples' haven't arrived yet tongue.gif

DAC? have you seen how many tiny lil legs are on that thing? blink.gif

just think of it this way ablaze: another day.. another challenge!

btw i've managed to desolder my dt880's wires already.

what made this step very very very dangerous was the fact that actually the metal piece where the input wire is soldered is the same metal piece to which the thin copper wire (thinner than a hair) that led into the driver was soldered onto.

this meant that all i had to do was apply a bit too much heat and BOTH the input wire and the copper driver coil wire would have desoldered. try to picture yourself trying to solder something that's thinner than a hair!

whatever it is, i managed to pull it off successfully ( w00t.gif whew) and i'm resting now and trying to stop my hands from shaking. i think ill have to continue another day my hands are shaking too much liao. blink.gif

btw ppl i DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU DO THIS. one thing i realised was that the dt880's diaphragm is made of paper. one touch with the soldering iron and ... ablaze! sad1.gif

oh btw ablaze i got the same soldering iron as you.. lol.gif

got my samples from AD today.

I ordered 6 parts. they only sent two pieces. THANKS GAWD those two they sent were the AD8620s biggrin.gif

anyway, replaced my last opamp just. overall, I think one word sums up the mod for me. DETAILS thumbup1.gif

haha maybe they sent you defective ones.. whistling.gif