Sign in to follow this  
mychew

Way to judge a headphone

Hey I've go an idea - a head-fi meet at an SSO concert. I think it's a good idea.

Great idea! I swooned on my first experience at The Esplanade; attended concert by NYPO under baton of Zubin Mehta. Live music is still best.

Actually, I think one will know 'it' when good sound hits you. Good headphone sound happened to me when I heard mackies dt880 in his system. I havent been able to reproduce it yet.. no.gif

Sometimes, if you're happy with your current system.. just stick with it for as long as you can... try looking for more and you end up being disatisfied, and afflicted with upgratitis / audiophilia nervosa etc...

PS. Damn you Mackie, wish I never heard your system....

Thanks for your compliment. laugh.gif

Hey, I apologize on behalf's of my headphone setup for pampering your ears. tongue.gif

If U wish to heighten your current discontent, U should try out the current rig with Mullard tubes and X-feed. smoke.gif

LOL...those things u all talk about it's still a long long road for me. No money...haha...can get an amp then cannot upgrade the cans yet (somemore i just bought it around 1 month ago). Wanna upgrade headphones, then no amp. Get source, wait and save moeny first. Lot of things to consider before i invest on any new equipment to srt up my own rig.

So envy of u guys man. Got such a nice rig at home. How i wish that everyday when i come back form school or work....i can lay down on my bed and listen to the best sound reproduction coming out from my rig.. happy.gif

Lets use this passion as your guiding light............study hard, graduate, get a good job and all your past efforts will help U gain inroads in this hobby.

Yeah...your words always enlighten me,MAckie. Learn a lot from u guys here, especially u Mackie wink.gif by the way, the things that i can differentiate now is whether the headphone meet my requirement on bass and treble tongue.gif

the other like soundstage, know whether is wide or narrow. Imaging, still a long way to me..hehe..

mid-range and mid-bass duno who they r tongue.gif

mid range - vocals usually, females are upper mid. upper mids are IMO important for 'crispness' of a voice.

mid bass - usually most of the bass you hear, the real slim shady is an example of midbass IMO

deep bass - usually accounts for the impact you feel when listening to bass. the 'rumble'.

hm..understood...

now i know what to judge for when doing an audition for the cans, amps and sources smile.gif

by the way, anyone have anything else to looks for?

looks like the way we judge is heavily depends on our taste?

btw, adhoc....your avatar looks cute haha...but quite political... tongue.gif

tongue.gif

definately..

it all depends on your taste .... so that's where auditioning is a MUST when buying a phone, unless you really have no means to listen