Sign in to follow this  
mychew

Way to judge a headphone

most important bass= no bass no life mad.gif

party.giftongue.giflol.gif

I used to listen out for details, lately since I've been doing alot of the comparos. I've listened for balance & midrange clarity.

Get the Cheskey Ultimate Demo Disc if you can. It's a good beginner's CD. The music on it is real music with a preceeding track that explains what to look out for (ie the equipment that does this better is better).

But it's just a starter disc - the one thing I don't like about Cheskey recordings in general are the somewhat bright way it's recorded - unlike Reference Recordings.

Ultimately It's you own ears that are going to judge an equipment - headphone amp, CDP or a pair of cans.

As I see it, all opinions are heavily biased and dependent on one's preference as only a direct comparison between the actual live performance and the same music piece through your sound system is deemed more accurate. Another factor to consider is the ability to discern and interpret sound as it varies with different people. However, experience and a full understanding of your personal needs and wants of the music/sound preferred will help U to form opinions during auditions.

Personally, I try to gauge the construction and then overall tonality of the gear in the first instance. If I don't like what I hear, I simply avoid dwelling deeper into other characteristics such as bass/mids/treble performance, soundstaging/imaging, clarity, resolution, timbral nature etc.

On the latter areas, there're bound to be compromises but as long as U're happy with the overall sound, live with it. Hence, a lot depends on your personal wants and if U're yet to reach this stage, try to listen to as many gears and understand what the presented sonic characterisics are. U're bound to reach an enlightenment someday. JMHO.

Edited by Mackie

Sounds like a religion Mackie (hmm...maybe it is LOL).

Back to the point: Comparing the live concert you're in and then later comparing the recording could lead you into trouble as well.

Why?

Because of the human element - recording eng at the mixing board, editing eng, post production. But hey if the recording artist is happy with it....

Always trust your ears - you may like things dark or bright.

The simpliest and most trusted test is this:

Which headphone gets your feet taping and head bobbing. The one that does it more successfully is your prefered headphone.

Sounds like a religion Mackie (hmm...maybe it is LOL).

Back to the point: Comparing the live concert you're in and then later comparing the recording could lead you into trouble as well.

Rameish, not a religion lah.....just my own yardstick when I carry out my auditions. U've highlighted the pitfalls of making comparison between live music and those generated from home systems correctly. I don't follow this path but it's the best theorectical way (if possible at all) to gauge what's accurate and what's not.

I've come across comments that said violin strings were shrilling, not smooth and trumpets sounded too bright on certain sound systems. The fact is, these are sometimes the true nature of how the instruments should sound on certain music passages.

Once upon a time, I was doing an audition of home theatre system at KEC and the dvd "Patriot" was featured. As the movie was about the American Civil War, muskets were used in the battlefield and some folk who stood behind me actually said aloud the musket shots were too thin sounding (no bass). Geeesss.......I was wondering if he expected the shots to sound like M16, SAW or GPMG! What a joke! lol.gif

Sorry for the OT.......just highlighting the common fallacy of what general comments on accuracy implies in this hobby.

Edited by Mackie

i guess it's kinda hard to judge what's accurate and what's not unless u have heard the actual sound of the intstruments or u have played with them before.

Mackie, precisely. They probably wanted the musket to sound like canon fire.

I have great difficulty even judging the accuracy on one instrument - say piano. The piano I have - although a good german paino - is no match for a Steinway/Steiwag Grand. But then in some recordings it would be a Kawai or Yamaha. Then it's how the concert tuner, tuned the piano just befor the concert, then the concert hall etc ad nasuem.

I guess another good way would be to spend a few bucks now and then and go for concerts. The SSO is an okay ensemble and tickets are quite cheap. Then maybe compare a recording of the same compaser (by a different orchestra of course). It may not be very close but it's as close as you're gonna get (at least in Singapore).

Hey I've go an idea - a head-fi meet at an SSO concert. I think it's a good idea.

rameish, at least for those interested in classical music.

remember students and ns men get a hefty discount!

it's a good idea. actually wanted to go to the piano festival that ended last sunday but sigh by the time i called sistic up they were sold out.

hhehe I play abit of acoustic guitar

that's why I pay attention on some tracks with the acoustic..

the strum especially.. and the plucking. Not so much of plucking though cos it's mostly done in classical guitar, though some are on acoustic.

Listening to live music esp acoustic music - piano guitar etc will allow you to appreciate the timber better and make you aware of natural decay - from the strike of the string to the time the musician stops it. Some of you have heard me play a couple of bars on my piano to illustrate legato (I play very badly btw). But during the demo, you must surely have heard and felt the reverb right. Now the headphone that can more accurately reproduce that NATURAL reverb is usually the better one.

Once I was listening to a track where the guitarist added an extra sting - I heard it very clearly on my Grado RS-1 as an extra string. On some other headphones and even the lesser Grados like the SR-80 it comes accross as the string broke.

Grado's do have weak points but they seem to be fewer.

Actually, I think one will know 'it' when good sound hits you. Good headphone sound happened to me when I heard mackies dt880 in his system. I havent been able to reproduce it yet.. no.gif

Sometimes, if you're happy with your current system.. just stick with it for as long as you can... try looking for more and you end up being disatisfied, and afflicted with upgratitis / audiophilia nervosa etc...

PS. Damn you Mackie, wish I never heard your system....

Eric,

Yes system synergy is vital. You can take 3 good pieces of equipment (from CDP to Amp to Headphone) and make them sound bad. There's nothing worse than in mismatch.