Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

Need help to build

I certainly don't mind the assistance. I PM you when I get round to it.

Im gonna start off cheap. haha.gif

My dad is not audiophile just very skilled with electronics.

I wanna build that Jan Maier Corda haha.gif Maybe someday..

I need some skills in reading circuit diagrams... wacko.gifunsure.gif

however it's quite a nice amp for portable use .i would suggest you build a Gilmore instead.

Not everyone can build a gilmore, dude..

I add a filter to the power in, to reduce the noise, and it does its job quite well. and for the input cap, 0.1uF is too small in the DC filter, changing to 5uF would be better. Think of this, 0.1uF, the cut off frequency is 15Hz, which is quite high. When change it to 5uF, the cutt off- freq drop to 1.5Hz.

It's not a filter to reduce noise actually. The capacitor's purpose is to reduce DC offset from the inputs. Given a 100K ohms resistor and a 0.1uF cap forming a high pass filter, there is significant phase distortion & attenuation up to 100Hz.

That explains why the change to a 5uF cap improved the sound. It's not because the cut-off at 15.9Hz is too high. BTW, a 5uF cap. with 100K ohms resistor forms a cut off freq. @ 0.318Hz, not 1.5Hz.

At the output, i suggest you put a 120ohm resistor there for AKG K501 for maximum power transfer.( basically the sound remains the same).

To obtain nominal power transfer to the headphones, you need to measure the impedance of the output and add a resistor in series with the output to obtain a TOTAL resistance/impedance equal to the impedance of the headphones. Secondly, obtaining maximal power transfer to the headphones doesn't mean better sound. Most headphone amps have lower output impedance because that allows the amp to better control the drivers in the headphones.

I'll take it onboard Firefox. I read your post carefully but don't know enough about electronics to really follow. unsure.gif

tongue.gif

0.1uF is too small in the DC filter,

what i mean is DC filter which block any DC at the signal input.

and forgot to put in the calculation which is

1/(2*pie*R*C)

pie=3.1416

R=the reisistor value in the filter

C=the capacitor value in the filter.

and very sorry for miscalculation. dry.gif

what i mean for the "reduce noise" is include with a power filtering which including caps and buffer. cool.gif

and after experimenting, the maximum power transfer design is only good for AKG K501...i think... sleep.gif

PI=3.1415927 party.gif

It is highly recommended to use the opamp DC offset rather than using the capacitors. It is introducing multiple phase-shift to audio signal as the opamp is drawing micro amps of current from the source.

It is highly recommended to use the opamp DC offset rather than using the capacitors.

Opamp DC offset? Care to explain?

A bit hard...

Frankly, if opamps could get rid of DC voltage on the input, you're going to have major problems using them in amps.

The capacitors are for removing DC offset from the source, not from the output of the opamp as you might have thought. tongue.gif

Most Fet opamps are pretty okay but bi-polar opamps do need some special configurations to prevent offset on the output.

rolleyes.gif I see....

To conclude, the input capacitors are still essential when it comes to removing DC offset from your sources.

However, for personal amps where you know the source(s) do not have DC offset on the output, you may safely omit the caps. Thus, removing the problem(s) of degraded sound quality (if any) & the high-pass filter.

Is the best way to 0 dc offset by matching resistor in the source?

No, it depends on how the output stage is in the source. Usually, there are already capacitors in the CDP for opamps based outputs.

Hence, any DC offset would have been removed. Some outputs are tube outputs and those have their own compensation for removing DC. Some use transistors in push-pull configurations and the DC is removed using other methods.

Now Im even more confused. I gotta read more headwize. :|