Sign in to follow this  
Fizban

Budget newbie CDP

Hey guys!

Paiseh got to bother you people a bit hor!

I wanna get a cd-player, budget lah...newbie wan....

Looking at Marantz CD5001....can hor?

But i hear from my friend that Denon makes extremely decent cd-players as well, so i should consider it.

How is the "Denon sound" like?

And where can i find them?

Oh and er....

I really dunno about such things but...

will it be ok if i plug my aego-m to the marantz?

do i need to do anything else?

Will it be SWEEEET? :beer:

i don't know about marantz or denon; marantz is well rated here but you can also try the cambridge 540/640 series cdps. I own the 540cv2 - the sound is very big, very detailed with a good soundstage if you have the right amp to match. But it tends towards the more 'electronic' sounding type, not as natural as some of the higher end stuff. I think if you go down to adelphi you can find all the players you want.

yep you can plug it straight to your aego ms, just make sure you have a pair of rca cables

Edited by loop_

Er...what are RCA cables arh?

I have one with white and red heads, terminating on the other end with a single head (grey).

Is that it?

Cambridge how much? I budget leh

Marantz i pay 300 got liao

The TS Lim mod is for the Marantz CD63 cdp. It makes the cdp very good. Listened to it before, its good but didn't do a comparison to the 640v2.

RCA Cables are interconnects from rca jacks to other set of rca jacks. They are 2 heads to 2 heads (red to ted, white to white) .Google it to see.

5001 is ard 280-300. Cambridge audio 640c V2 ard 700. 540cv2 ard 600? Also got the NAD ard 500.

Sim Lim has quite a few shops selling the CD5001. Alpha Audio on the ground floor is one of them.

I assume that the Aego-M uses a subwoofer amplifer. Hence, you could either use the RCA outs (together with the provided cables) to connect to the Aego-M subwoofer, so as to power the speakers themselves.

I should think that the Aego-M would come with a 1/8 inch to RCA input cable, hence, you could use a 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch adapter and plug it into the Marantz CDP's headphone out.

Whether it sounds sweet would depend on you.

You may want to consider the Oppo universal player which falls into your budget as well. It has received uniformly good reviews and a unit I heard at a friend's place was good, especially from SACD.

I had a Marantz 5001 about a year ago for my secondary room setup and it just didn't sound right for me. Lacking at both frequency extremes. Finally settled on an NAD which I thought was much better.

Ooooohh...

thanks guys....really DARN APPRECIATED :)

Oppo player can play SACD?

where to get?

but i tend towards warm sounds leh, so thought marantz will suit me