Sign in to follow this  
ablaze

Clipping/distortion

ablaze, I have high regards of the Premuim label which produces the "Best Voices" cd. As for the distortion U're hearing on Eva Cassidy's track, I've to investigate but I won't find it surprising as her albums were all recorded before her demise 13 years ago.

As much as studio technology has grown by leaps and bounds, detriments on decade-old recordings will still show up despite the latest remastering process. One thing of note is Eva's songs are mostly recorded live and on her album "Songbird", undesirable venue resonance and audience's responds were digitally removed.

I will listen to the track tonight and give U a more definite answer whether the software is to blame.

snowparang: last I remembered testing, whatever clipped on my Revo, clipped on the PCDP too. I'm wondering if its my cans? Is it possible there's not enough current or something from my source, since I don't have a dedicated amp as of yet, thats why it clips?

jason: I don't see how tube amps have to do with anything.

wortel: unlike you, I'm more than happy with my Revo's sound quality. your Xplosion just sucks tongue.gif

Mackie: thanks man. thats what I need, someone to listen to the same album and to tell me if it clips on their setup. smile.gif

Which part of Norah Jones' album are you talking about? What originally sounded like distortion (mike overload) was actually one of the guitar players hitting the wood bit of the guitar (dunno what its called biggrin.gif ) when I got a better setup.

Cheers,

Mike

Ablaze,

There's an easy way to tell if it's clipping - lower the volume and if the distortion goes away it's clipping.

mike, seems to be all over the place on the album. haven't gone down to pinpointing the exact parts though.

Rameish, thanks, so if it doesn't go away with a lower volume, its not clipping?

Yes Ablaze. If you still hear the distortion at lowish volumes then it's probably not clipping. Clipping occurs when an amp (built in or otherwise) lacks the driving power.

ablaze,

I just listened Norah Jones' Come Away with me and do hear her voice cracked.. I think they upped the recroding level on this track just alittle too much..

thanks. yeah I know Norah Jones distorts.

anybody tried the other two cds I mentioned? Mackie?

Rameish, its the CD clipping not the amp clipping.

Unlikely as from a CDP (I really don't know the REVO sound card here) it's usually input overload and not clipping. However, in Ablaze's case I don't think its clipping as even at low volumes he hears the distortion.

ablaze: Regarding Eva's track, there's a very slight distortion inherent in the recording...possibly breached the threshold when she hit a crescendo. However, this is not detectable on speakers rig. This distortion would have been missed if the disc hasn't been remastered in a higher 24/96 resolution.

ablaze : I like you am happy with the sound quality of my soundcard.

Im just unhappy because when cranked to the max it gives me a truckload of garbage. When I make my amp it should solve this problem as I wont have to push it as hard. It can sit in its happy spot. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gifhaha.gifhaha.gif

mackie: thanks! I'm relieved you hear it too on your setup biggrin.gif

This distortion would have been missed if the disc hasn't been remastered in a higher 24/96 resolution.

are you saying that discs remastered at a higher resolution would be more likely to have these distortion-type flaws than a regular disc? I thought they were supposed to sound better with the remastering! wacko.gif (but if thats what you're saying, it WOULD make sense since my Emi Fujita disc, that I mentioned, was remastered in 24/192, and its got the distortion too)

wortel: unlike you, the Revo cranked up to the max, STILL sounds spotlessly clean! nyeh nyeh ppth.gif

are you saying that discs remastered at a higher resolution would be more likely to have these distortion-type flaws than a regular disc? I thought they were supposed to sound better with the remastering! wacko.gif (but if thats what you're saying, it WOULD make sense since my Emi Fujita disc, that I mentioned, was remastered in 24/192, and its got the distortion too)

Hold it! That's not what I meant albeit this could also happen if the remastering process was badly done.

What I'm trying to say is the latest technology is able to dig out more details from older recordings and at the same time, any inherent flaws would also be apparent.

I don't have the Emi Fujita disc but I think my point does apply to Eva's track since it's recorded more than a decade ago.