Sign in to follow this  
ablaze

Clipping/distortion

I've got an alarming number of tracks on various CDs that clip.

Take one example, for those of you who have the popular "Best of audiophile voices"

user posted image

track 11: Eva Cassidy's Ain't no sunshine around 2:45 when she goes "ALWAYS gone so long" the track sounds distorted.

(can those of you with this album, check it out for me on your setup?)

Emi Fujita's Camomile extra album

user posted image

Track 1: Fields of Gold around 1:27 onwards eg. at "LIKE a lover so" it distorts

or Norah Jones' Come Away with me.

At first I figured it might just be the recording, since my Chesky recordings all don't clip. But can it be that so many other albums are badly recorded too? (I mean the examples quoted above, they're supposed to be 'audiophile' discs aren't they?)

If its NOT the recording, what could it be?

my setup currently, M-audio Revo-->unamped for now-->Sony CD3000s

my speakers out of the same source clip too at the same points, but its just not that obvious since speakers just generally (don't shoot me for saying this wink.gif) don't reveal flaws as much as headphones do.

thoughts?

You might want to try getting a dual power supply just to feed the AD8620's on the soundcard. They might not be getting enough voltage and unhappy about the single rail power.

no, its not the new opamps I'm sure. before I replaced the opamps, the distortion on the tracks was already present sleep.gif

hahah laugh.gif like me needs to get a real source

ablaze, before the op-amp thingy, I mean when you've just got the revo, did these cds clip?

If not.. probably..

blues: yeah it clipped already, before the mod.

can those of you with any of the above albums take a listen to the parts I pointed out and see if it clips? thanks

I've got an alarming number of tracks on various CDs that clip.

Take one example, for those of you who have the popular "Best of audiophile voices"

user posted image

track 11: Eva Cassidy's Ain't no sunshine around 2:45 when she goes "ALWAYS gone so long" the track sounds distorted.

(can those of you with this album, check it out for me on your setup?)

Emi Fujita's Camomile extra album

user posted image

Track 1: Fields of Gold around 1:27 onwards eg. at "LIKE a lover so" it distorts

or Norah Jones' Come Away with me.

At first I figured it might just be the recording, since my Chesky recordings all don't clip. But can it be that so many other albums are badly recorded too? (I mean the examples quoted above, they're supposed to be 'audiophile' discs aren't they?)

If its NOT the recording, what could it be?

my setup currently, M-audio Revo-->unamped for now-->Sony CD3000s

my speakers out of the same source clip too at the same points, but its just not that obvious since speakers just generally (don't shoot me for saying this wink.gif) don't reveal flaws as much as headphones do.

thoughts?

If your are talking Norah Jones CD, my opinion is that the local CD pressing & engineering sucks. You should listen to the SACD hybrid pressing - much better engineering and sound quality.

sleep.gif

I got the best audiophile CD. Yes it sound distorted. Or would I say, possible it would sound very good with a tube and speaker setup.

I heard the same CD being played at Sim Lim Tower with a tube amp. SOUNDS GOOD!!!!

Will someone bring a tube amp please....... innocent.gif

jason,

distorted got nothing to do with be it tube or solid state..

so does the same cd at that tube eqpt still clip or not?

Just my theory.

With headphone very near to the ear, certain high frequency noise will be audible to the ear. A speaker setup, certain noise will attenuate by the air it travels when it reach the ear. Of course I like to do some experiment first before concluding anything.

I am listening to the CD now. Feels like cheapskate. It does not expand the sounstage and very tasteless... How I missed the sound of tube....

I believe the distort sound will turn nice with another setup.

So whats the deal ablaze gonna stop using your soundcard?

Im gonna stop using mine when I can afford a home CDP. laugh.gif