ezzo

Interest Check: SOHA Kit Group Buy

www.glassjaraudio.com

Are there anyone out there that is still interested in building a SOHA tube amplifier?

I am interested in getting a complete kit from glass jar audio. It includes everything to build one, plus the case and transformer. And I have contacted their company and gotten a reply on them. Shipping to Singapore is possible, though it is not stated on their website.

Do check out the kit if you are interested and leave a reply to this thread if you are intending to join a group buy. As I will be taking note of the number of people and maybe start a group buy.

UPDATE:

The weight of the kit is 3pounds. According to Jeff from glassjaraudio, shipping rate is US$23.10 for USPS First Class Mail for a single kit, however, prices are expected to drop with a group buy. Though currently there isnt much response from people.

Edited by ezzo

Glassjar definitely ships to SG, I have purchased from Jeff before. He provides good service.

yeap, agree with you, I got a reply from him personally the next day. I went check it out, they didnt put international shipping when checking out the shopping cart.

Interested in the lvl2 set, any idea how much it will cost in the end? less or more than $SGD200 with shipping?

Did a conversion without shipping and its as follow.

119.85 USD = 182.024 SGD

Level 2 SOHA kit

The kit includes all the parts needed to build Digi's v3 board of the Cavalli, Lovell, Pasculle Stoopid Opamp Hybrid Amplifier. It features Vishay / Dale resistors, Panasonic FC, and Nichicon Muse UKZ capacitors, an Avel Lindberg torroid 30VCT 500 mA, a tested old stock 12AU7 tube, hammond silver enclosure, TI Soundplus Opamp and a Alps RK27 Blue potentiometer. Black enclosures are an option, as are auricaps at C2 and C14.

Interested in the lvl2 set, any idea how much it will cost in the end? less or more than $SGD200 with shipping?

Did a conversion without shipping and its as follow.

119.85 USD = 182.024 SGD

Level 2 SOHA kit

The kit includes all the parts needed to build Digi's v3 board of the Cavalli, Lovell, Pasculle Stoopid Opamp Hybrid Amplifier. It features Vishay / Dale resistors, Panasonic FC, and Nichicon Muse UKZ capacitors, an Avel Lindberg torroid 30VCT 500 mA, a tested old stock 12AU7 tube, hammond silver enclosure, TI Soundplus Opamp and a Alps RK27 Blue potentiometer. Black enclosures are an option, as are auricaps at C2 and C14.

I would expected the total cost to be slightly more than S$200. Since the kit includes the transformer and the enclosure, the weight of the kit will not be very light. So shippings cost is definately more than US$10.

Edited by ezzo

Guys,

Just a tip, if you are building this, please try to include a protection relay into the output. During the time the tube need to warm up, the amp can send DC current into the headphones, burning up the drivers.

AMB sells a board for this OR you can just ensure your earphones are NEVER plugged in when turning on the SOHA. A delay of 10s is said to be sufficient for the tube to settle down.

Regards.

Guys,

Just a tip, if you are building this, please try to include a protection relay into the output. During the time the tube need to warm up, the amp can send DC current into the headphones, burning up the drivers.

AMB sells a board for this OR you can just ensure your earphones are NEVER plugged in when turning on the SOHA. A delay of 10s is said to be sufficient for the tube to settle down.

Regards.

Oh I see, thanks for that man. I probably would not have known if you did not mention it :sweat:

Oh I see, thanks for that man. I probably would not have known if you did not mention it :sweat:

I have a SOHA which I built and then took apart so I could case it. I bought the SOHA board in a group buy here. I could source all the parts from Koba. I was waiting for the output protection board to arrive from AMB together with my Mini3 pcb. But I am wondering if I can find the relays etc in SLT.

Edited by heady

I have a SOHA which I built and then took apart so I could case it. I bought the SOHA board in a group buy here. I could source all the parts from Koba. I was waiting for the output protection board to arrive from AMB together with my Mini3 pcb. But I am wondering if I can find the relays etc in SLT.

I am just wondering how much did it cost you in total, without the enclosure, to build the SOHA amp?

Its rather hard to find the pcb now though. The relays as in?

This site also sells the SOHA PCBs, usd18 for 2: http://www.assemblycraft.com/

But any case, the kit seems reasonable priced with alps p.meter and hammond enclosure.

What do you guys think?

I believe all the parts was below S$50 but remember the parts I bought are not boutique parts. And this was about a year ago. Anyway, old man also got bad memory... :))

The relays are for the output protection board from AMB.

I am just wondering how much did it cost you in total, without the enclosure, to build the SOHA amp?

Its rather hard to find the pcb now though. The relays as in?

But any case, the kit seems reasonable priced with alps p.meter and hammond enclosure.

What do you guys think?

I believe all the parts was below S$50 but remember the parts I bought are not boutique parts. And this was about a year ago. Anyway, old man also got bad memory... :))

The relays are for the output protection board from AMB.

Oh I see.. Thats cheap compared to the one from glass jar audio man. Those there arent exactly boutique parts either, just bust better vishay/dale resistors and panasonic fc and nichicon uhe caps. Though the alps and hammond enclosure alone cost US$38.

Oh I see.. Thats cheap compared to the one from glass jar audio man. Those there arent exactly boutique parts either, just bust better vishay/dale resistors and panasonic fc and nichicon uhe caps. Though the alps and hammond enclosure alone cost US$38.

Jeff has to earn something for buying things in bulk so he can supply the parts. It means time saved for you in walking around SLT to look for parts. It just so happens in SG we have a store which has almost everything, cos the young man working there built a SOHA himself.