Sign in to follow this  
variablefeedback

Recommend me a warm & lush headamp

Please recommend me a warm & lush headamp ...

am using a Sony MDR-SA5000 now with my Denon CDP but its obvious to me that the headphone amp is not up to it from the CDP after some ICs rolling .... I believe my CDP is 2880AR ..... the headphone section has no problem driving the SA5000 but i feel the sound is harsh and compressed ....

Thinking of going tubes ......

any advise?

For desktop amp the Spark (Cayin) HA1A is very good for the price. I currently use a portable Xin Supermacro III which has a very rich, smooth sound as well and can drive your cans withn ease.

my budget?

well it really depends how much I like the equipment .....

am now contemplating DIYing the Aikido amp .... because I like the peaceful sound of 6SN7 ...... but a lot of ppl will find it bland and tasteless ....

well, I used to own a modded Darkvoice336i, which also uses 6SN7s (i think). Nothing peaceful about those!

It definitely sounds warm and lush and was great that way. However, the tradeoff was in the details, and (most particularly) the loss of the 3 dimensional headstage that the SS amps I had gave me.

Frankly I think you'll always get this tradeoff unless you buy expensive tube amps, or go the hybrid route with diy amp like the SOHA or the Millet, or just get a good ss amp.

That said, why don't you go with your current preference and diy the aikido? I'm curious. :))

what about the little tube II+?

what do you all think about that amp?

it has a warm sound and the price is good

darkvoice probably blows it out of the water thoughn? I haven't tried both (little tube II is coming in though!)

Little tube II can be had for around $100USD i think (used)

cheers

what are the mods done to the modded Darkvoice336i?

Maybe I can help to rip max. details from it .....

what is the tube you are using for your modded Darkvoice336i?

Thinking of a full tube amp ..... hmmmm ...... yar, i am too curious about the Aikido sound on a Sony MDR-SA5000 ......

Really sarce now becos the Sony is ruthless in details ........... it IS a reference monitor ......

Care must be excercise in choosing the correct amp .....

Edited by variablefeedback

the mods are documented in another forum with the links here http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?show...25&hl=darkvoice

i was using a chinese made 6sn7gt and a 6080

miss the tube sound, but the sacrifices just weren't worth it. I must say though the beta22 i've built sounds really good with alot of warmth, though maybe not so lush.

if you're into diying you could consider that too

what about the little tube II+?

what do you all think about that amp?

it has a warm sound and the price is good

darkvoice probably blows it out of the water thoughn? I haven't tried both (little tube II is coming in though!)

Little tube II can be had for around $100USD i think (used)

cheers

hi, i just got my Little Dot II and now got stuck with tubes. i read forums the II+ has arcing problem. not really sure the newer sets have this in them. the II and II++ dont have this prob. in terms of sound, hmm i cant comment coz i havent heard from other tubes. but for the price, to me II got it. :D

now the bad part, the tubes for both LDII and LDII+ are rare here. LDII has the 4P1S and the 1B2 (or the 1K2 for newer sets); equivalents 4П1Л Russian tubes and 1S5 (or 1U5 for 1K2), cant find in Singapore. i have a pair of unused Mullards CV131 though (for LDII+). for 4P1S, dont bother trying to get the NOS 4П1Л for replacements. forums have ppl stating they are no different at all. :D

Please recommend me a warm & lush headamp ...

am using a Sony MDR-SA5000 now with my Denon CDP but its obvious to me that the headphone amp is not up to it from the CDP after some ICs rolling .... I believe my CDP is 2880AR ..... the headphone section has no problem driving the SA5000 but i feel the sound is harsh and compressed ....

Thinking of going tubes ......

any advise?

I used the SA5000 with my Bada12 tube amp & they mate very well together..

You wanna sell me your 八达 Bada. PH-12耳机放大器?

BTW, where did you buy it?

I used the SA5000 with my Bada12 tube amp & they mate very well together..

These are too expensive for me ..... :doh:

Take a look on SinglePower amps.

http://www.singlepower.com/

Many many many models and you can ask custom upgrade without problem.

I rarely see peaple sell those amp and not buy another SinglePower higher level. 8-)