Sign in to follow this  
volk

Opens Cans & MRT noise

Hi everyone,

Still quite a noob on headphones..

Currently using CX-300 and I use it mainly on the MRT.

I thinking to change to a pair of headphone...

I have tested a few cans and I prefer the sound of opens cans.

May I ask those who like open cans, how much of the MRT noise can be heard? (MRT are getting louder these days -- poor maintenance??)

Will it help if I listen to the music louder? Not really care abt disturbing others.

Thanks

--CUT--

Will it help if I listen to the music louder? Not really care abt disturbing others.

Thanks

Hi,

I do hope you care for your hearing. Listening to headphones loud is a guaranteed way to damaged hearing.

Regards

heady

I started using inner ear phones (IEM) for the reason of isolation so I don't need to make the music louder. There are really good IEMs around but I am not expert on them. I only use the IEM while on trains and exercising so quality is not a big issue as I am using MP3. For quality listening, I use circum-aural headphones with lossless sources.

The IEMs I have used and liked are ATH CK7 and the Mylar 3. You can try them at Jaben although many other shops also sell the ATH.

Edited by heady

Do take care of your ears and hearing.

The solution to ambient noise is isolation, not louder volume.

In any case, IMHO open headphones dont really sound as nice as they could in a noisy environment.

On IEMs, I normally listen at 10% volume, no external noise heard.

The one time I tried open cans on the MRT, the volume was about 70% and I could barely hear the music above people's chatter and the train's rumble.

My guide for safe outdoors listening volume: it should be the same volume used at home for listening comfortably for 6 to 8 hours straight.

On the issue of louder MRT noise: thanks to more passengers and trains that are going faster.

Edited by radioactive28

i tried take out my MS 1 with my friend who using SR 60 some time back, it was ok lei...until one point of time, we two were "DJ" in the train...

well, back then, the train not crowded...think can try those with smaller driver one? any view on that?

Hi everyone,

Still quite a noob on headphones..

Currently using CX-300 and I use it mainly on the MRT.

I thinking to change to a pair of headphone...

I have tested a few cans and I prefer the sound of opens cans.

May I ask those who like open cans, how much of the MRT noise can be heard? (MRT are getting louder these days -- poor maintenance??)

Thanks

your hearing aside, i think you should consider about the other commuters. it's plain civil. stick to closed cans or IEMs while commuting.

I haven't tried the in-ear earphones other than the Creative EP630 and the Sony EX71SL. Both isolates the noise to a certain degree, but is still rather loud. I do find the Creative Aurvana X-Fi to be very effective (more so than the 2 in-ears mentioned) in cancelling the noise though. Above ground, the train noise is nearly totally cancelled. Underground, there's still some noise remaining. Trouble is the bulk of it.

I am not sure how the better IEMs like the UEs, Shures, Westones perform though.

Regards

CK

well, there are always closed-cans or in-earphone :)

noise cancelling phones dun really work well...

unless your noise is constantly at the same frequency

well, there are always closed-cans or in-earphone :)

noise cancelling phones dun really work well...

unless your noise is constantly at the same frequency

Well, in the case of MRT or airplane noise, it's more or less constant. :)

Regards

CK

Well, in the case of MRT or airplane noise, it's more or less constant. :)

Regards

CK

slightly different with MRT, most NC cans are designed to cancel the freq of airplane engine noise within the cabin. and the noise is waay louder than MRT. so in MRT, i find it cancels too broad a freq range, doesn't really work as well as in aircraft.

your hearing aside, i think you should consider about the other commuters. it's plain civil. stick to closed cans or IEMs while commuting.

Thanks...maybe I should stick to my cx300...

upgrade...hmm...

actually tried the akg k412p...quite like the sound..so is the sr60

if for iem...budget of $100...what can I get?