Sign in to follow this  
sghound

CREATIVE cheating

Standard message to the big corporations: be on your toes or we consumers will be out to rip you for every cent you're worth. And remember: we're always right.

These class action suits are ridiculous.

Standard message to the big corporations: be on your toes or we consumers will be out to rip you for every cent you're worth. And remember: we're always right.

These class action suits are ridiculous.

wow.. another setback for creative... :blink:

can anyone say what is it? in a summary form? lols...canot understand well

In computer lingo, 1KB = 1024byte and 1 GB = 1024KB. Seems Creative counted differently, their 1GB was 1000KB. So they misrepresented the actual memory in their MP3 players, there is about 5% less memory than advertised.

See lah, that's what happens when people don't study computer science..... :P

Edited by heady

In computer lingo, 1KB = 1024byte and 1 GB = 1024KB. Seems Creative counted differently, their 1GB was 1000KB. So they misrepresented the actual memory in their MP3 players, there is about 5% less memory than advertised.

tats what happens when they do study CS, so that they can slim shady most consumers. it's called gigabyte shaving. 5% is like 2GB shaved for their Zen 32GB. what a hoodwink!

tats what happens when they do study CS, so that they can slim shady most consumers. it's called gigabyte shaving. 5% is like 2GB shaved for their Zen 32GB. what a hoodwink!

The flash chips used are pretty standard within the industry, but you don't see other companies getting sued.

Just check out your own USB flash drives. Both my 1Gb Sandisks have about 960Mb, not 1000Mb.

If anything, their fault is not skimping on the gigabyte.

It's not including the standard disclaimer that "1Gb = 1,000,000,000 bytes".

No matter how fine the print, it is a legal shield.

Not that I'm trying to defend Creative. I think they suck at doing business.

It's damn irritating though, to keep seeing frivolous class action suits that were possibly initiated by people who knew what they were doing when they set out on the hunting trip.

Oh man I never expected this. So far I had bought 2 Creative MP3 players and they ripped me to some extent :(. I remember checking the space and thought it to be occupied by the OS.

Edited by vjbab

Err... I think 1MB = 1024KB and 1024MB = 1GB, yes? :))

Oh man I never expected this. So far I had bought 2 Creative MP3 players and they ripped me to some extent :(. I remember checking the space and thought it to be occupied by the OS.

When you do get the Cowon D2 16Gb, check its capacity.

Don't be too surprised to find only 15,259Mb, or 14.9Gb.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?p=381932

Here's a lesson in how storage formats report their data. Storage formats--ALL OF THEM--HDDs, DVDs, HD-DVDs, BDs, flash drives, etc. use the SI definiton of KB, MB, GB. That is, 1 KB = 1000 bytes, 1 MB = 1000 KB, 1 GB = 1000 MB. Thus, when an HDD reports that it has 80 GB, they mean it has 80,000,000,000 bytes available on it. Computer OSes don't use that. They use the binary definition for KB et al. 1 KB = 1024 bytes, 1 MB = 1024 KB, 1 GB = 1024 KB. TO prevent this confusion, these are sometimes written as KiB, MiB, etc. ("binary kilobyte"). So, let's do the math

For DVD,

4.7 GB ==> 4.337 GiB

8.5 GB ==> 7.91 GiB

For Blu-ray,

50 GB = 50,000,000,000 bytes. To convert that into the GiB that the computer sees, we divide by 1024^3, and get...46.56 GiB.

For HDDs,

80 GB ==> 74.5 GiB

120 GB ==> 111.75 GiB

For HD-DVD,

30 GB ==> 27.93 GiB

51 GB ==> 47.49 GiB

Edited by radioactive28