blackmouth0

Tube Amp

Hi guys.

Been looking around for an tube amp, and have some doubt about it. Hope you guys can help to answer my doubt.

What is the major different between an tube amp and the normal desktop amp?

Where can i get tube amp in singapore?

Hi guys.

Been looking around for an tube amp, and have some doubt about it. Hope you guys can help to answer my doubt.

What is the major different between an tube amp and the normal desktop amp?

Where can i get tube amp in singapore?

Hi, it is generally agreed that tube amp gives a 'warmer' and more personal tone to vocal music, but may lack 'transcient". Go for both tube and solid state to enjoy both worlds of music. In this way you also help to 'kick' out recession mah! :))

sure do help to kick off recession!

But, can disclose the price range?

I presume your tube amp is solely a headamp. If so why not bring your favorite cans to stereo electronic or jaben to try out? Even a Chinese made like Darkvoice figaro is acceptable in terms of sound and pricing (the Figaro is around $200/= ?). regards

sure do help to kick off recession!

But, can disclose the price range?

It really depends on what you want. Generally for headamps, unless you're talking about budget china products, you can expect to go above 1k for a tube amp. However if you're referring to a tube power amp, then you're looking at a way different budget.

Also you have to consider the cost of the tubes. Some tubes aren't cheap.

also depend on what cans or speakers you are using. the synergy is important. Some Chinese tube headamps to your consideration are Darkvoice, Little Dot, Little Country and Shanling etc. price should be 200+ onwards.

How about Musical Fidelity's X-CAN v8?

It is a hybrid, with tubes inside. It also has a built-in DAC, using USB input. Only thing is, it is not a portable amp.

Goes for S$800+ only at Alpha Audio.

How about Musical Fidelity's X-CAN v8?

It is a hybrid, with tubes inside. It also has a built-in DAC, using USB input. Only thing is, it is not a portable amp.

Goes for S$800+ only at Alpha Audio.

The older x-can V3 is good enough. I think you pay more for the v8 for an additional usb input.

hows a littledot II++?

isn't that replaced by Little Dot MKII?? i'd suggest going for Little Dot MKIII or IV at least..price difference is not so great anyway..

You can also check out Little Country 3. Someone is selling a brand new set in Marketplace at a very reasonable price.

It seem like there's quite a number of Chinese Tube Amp coming along the way, but is it as good for a start?

What is actually a Solid State? (lost my understanding during study)

What is tube power amp and tube amp?

I am rather new towards this, tho.

It seem like there's quite a number of Chinese Tube Amp coming along the way, but is it as good for a start?

What is actually a Solid State? (lost my understanding during study)

What is tube power amp and tube amp?

I am rather new towards this, tho.

Solid state = uses transistors or chips for amplification

Tube = uses vacuum tubes

Tube amp = umbrella term describing amps which uses vacuum tubes for amplification.

Tube power = power amplifier using tubes. Usually this applies more to speaker amps than headphone amps. Most power amps does not have a volume control as this is done by the pre-amp. Power amps is what delivers the power to the speakers.

Pre-amp = provides source selection and volume control. In some cases, it also has circuitry to boost the input levels to a level high enough to drive the power amp. Preamps can also be "passive", i.e. has no electronic circuitry.

Integrated amp = pre and power into 1 chassis

Hybrid = uses both tubes and transistors/chips (i.e. solid state) technology. Usually tubes for the pre-amplification, solid states for the final amplification.

Regards

CK

Sad to say, most of the tube amp(or solid state amp) now are made in China. Those that are not will cost a leg and a arm. So budget Chinese tube amp will be a good start to ensure whether you like how it sound. Btw, I've yet to hear one that sound bad. Most of them are quite decent for it's price.

Edited by ical