blackmouth0

Tube Amp

some tubeamps when powering the low-impedance headphones, (eg, 32 ohms or lower) are more susceptable to microphonics. at higher impedance not audible at all.

Edited by audison

hmmm, ok, i had decided to go for a simple and budget tube amp for the time being. Do look out for me posting "WTS" tube man in 2 months time if i get bored with it. :))

Well, the problem now is, which brand of tube amp to go for.

Solid state = uses transistors or chips for amplification

Tube = uses vacuum tubes

Tube amp = umbrella term describing amps which uses vacuum tubes for amplification.

Tube power = power amplifier using tubes. Usually this applies more to speaker amps than headphone amps. Most power amps does not have a volume control as this is done by the pre-amp. Power amps is what delivers the power to the speakers.

Pre-amp = provides source selection and volume control. In some cases, it also has circuitry to boost the input levels to a level high enough to drive the power amp. Preamps can also be "passive", i.e. has no electronic circuitry.

Integrated amp = pre and power into 1 chassis

Hybrid = uses both tubes and transistors/chips (i.e. solid state) technology. Usually tubes for the pre-amplification, solid states for the final amplification.

Regards

CK

That's great for my understanding :thumbup:

Sad to say, most of the tube amp(or solid state amp) now are made in China. Those that are not will cost a leg and a arm. So budget Chinese tube amp will be a good start to ensure whether you like how it sound. Btw, I've yet to hear one that sound bad. Most of them are quite decent for it's price.

I reckon that I might look for solid state amp but is there any recommendation for it? I heard of SS on mixing console tho, but was wondering if it include a volume control? Sorry for such question as I hope to understand more. :holiday:

hmmm, ok, i had decided to go for a simple and budget tube amp for the time being. Do look out for me posting "WTS" tube man in 2 months time if i get bored with it. :))

Well, the problem now is, which brand of tube amp to go for.

Hm you could try Jojo's Little Country. I believe at his asking price that is about the best value for budget tube amps.

Frankly there are not much choice with budget tube headamps. You might want to give the millet max a shot too.

I reckon that I might look for solid state amp but is there any recommendation for it? I heard of SS on mixing console tho, but was wondering if it include a volume control? Sorry for such question as I hope to understand more. :holiday:

For SS, I recommended the nice Novo. Good price and performance. You can audition at Jaben.

http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/

Most headphone amp are integrated pre and amp, which comes with volume control.

For tube, as mentioned by peanutbutterjam, you might want to check out those Little Country in Marketplace that offer at a damn price.

Edited by ical

For SS, I recommended the nice Novo. Good price and performance. You can audition at Jaben.

http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/

Most headphone amp are integrated pre and amp, which comes with volume control.

For tube, as mentioned by peanutbutterjam, you might want to check out those Little Country in Marketplace that offer at a damn price.

Thanks ical, I saw that lil country thread, lovely. :grin:

for SS amp,do look out for the travagan white too,it is not a very well known amp but was a very very good amp and also can test the GS novo ,i somehow find the sound to be like tube sound with the travagan white amp section...and for the tuba amp,LC3 or LDmk series?

well if u looking for a tube amp,

try the ldmk series

i started with mhm, then to ldmk4 se

imo it is very good budget amp and doesnt disappoint me in terms of driving my 3 crazy hard to drive cans...

well if u looking for a tube amp,

try the ldmk series

imo it is very good budget amp and doesnt disappoint me in terms of driving my 3 crazy hard to drive cans...

The LDMK4se not a budget amp. lol! :sweat:

@boon

For SS I recommend also the Novo. :shifty:

But if you want warm sound and some heating involved. Just send me a PM. I think I posted some pics on my post. =)

haha well for my case it is true ldmk4 se is ahem way out of my budget during that time

almost the same price as my powercords lol

if u looking for an alternative, jojo and uber lc3 is not a very bad choice either

hear it for yurself and decide for yurself

haha well for my case it is true ldmk4 se is ahem way out of my budget during that time

almost the same price as my powercords lol

Eric's idea of "budget" is making my hair stand :shocking:

I think my rig needs quite a bit more work on the amp and esp the DAC side before the power cords play starts :drool: