Sign in to follow this  
Rameish

PPA - 1st Impressions

This is not a review - more of a first taste. I did not have the opportunity to do direct comparisons with several other amps. So here's my train-of-thought preview.

When Ablaze dropped off this amp my first impression was wow that's a nice looking case and I want one LOL. Yeah I'm a sucker for nice casework however the pictures Ablaze posted did not do justice to the case. The plastic front and back, I guess, reflects the inherent shadows. In real life there are no dents on the front or back. The Aluminum body has a nice matt finish to it as well and I kinda prefer this 2 tone finish.

Okay, okay so how does it sound? You ask.

Well since this amp is a combination of: an evolution of the META42 design, PPL own one-off designs/amps, with collaborative effort from other distinguished members at head-fi. So I, naturally, had to give it listen.

Within 10 mins I was SMSing Ablaze and asking him why was he selling it? I couldn't understand it. The amp reminded me of the Gilmore very much. At this point I thought it was using the OPA637 op-amps and was surprised by it very clean sound. Ablaze then corrected me to say that it was using the AD-8610 chips (3 of them). Ah...I went. And thought, hmm... that's why it's sounds different from my META 42 (which has the OPA 637 op-amps).

Using several CDs the amp displayed a wider soundstage than the META 42 that I have (this meta is almost complete and needs a case and crossfeed to be put in - waiting for the busy firefox man to finish it lah :-). The highs of the PPA are quite natural sounding - not too aggressive like the AD8620 in a META amp that I've heard. Yet the details are all there. I am beginning to think there are serious differences between the AD-8610 and 8620. I don't know why but the 8620 is just too aggressive for me.

Back to this PPA. The one thing lacking was weight - adding more buffers or changing the op-amp to have a AD-8610 in combo with OPA 627 might voice it better. But here, I'm getting fusssy. Yet in it's current configuration its suits some darker headphones like the Beyer DT-880 or Senn HD-600 better (both of which I have). As for my current fav - the DT-931 a darker amp is required. However since most people don't quite like the DT-931 that should not be a problem.

Looking under the bonnet (when abalze was around to open it up), everthing looks quite well done. I even took a peek under it and I must say the Ablaze's solder work has improved quite a bit. No blobs of solder etc.

The greatest accolade I can give this amp is this: after hearing it I feel like building one myself. I would probably try a combo approach AD-8610 (in ground) and 2 x OPA 627. Hopefully this blend of op-amps will result in what I'm looking for. Or 2 x OPA 637 with AD-8610. I would also stack the buffers (but hey that's me). How much of an improvement will all that bring? And will it justify the price increase? I really don't know.

The one thing that this PPA has is its not as fussy as the Gilmore about the interconnects used. So in a sense it's more compatible. Otherwise it sounds like a Gilmore (at least from memory). I wish I had the Gilmore around to be sure. It's a pity I don't have my Corda HA-2 to give a comparison as I loaned to to lengcm. However that's an unfair comparison as this PPA isn't maxed out --- yet! :-) I think one can stack more buffers from the little I've read on Tangent's website.

So if you have a darker-richer sounding headphone like the DT-880 or HD-600 give this amp a listen.

Remember, it's all about system synergy.

CDP - Rotel RCD971 (stock) and op-amp rolled AD865

Interconnect: Kimber PBJ, Silver Streak, Grado Ref, Wireworld Polaris MkIII.

Headphones: Beyer DT-931, Senn HD-600, Beyer DT-880.

Cheers

ah, yes, finally some respectable ears to justify the work I put in to building this respectable amp! biggrin.gif

for those who missed out, here's the thread with the pics http://www.sgheadphones.com/index.php?showtopic=1055

thanks for the commendations on the casework Rameish! I took extra care to align everything in a straight line, and to drill clean holes, whilst not damaging the rest of the faceplate blush.gif

one thing though, it already uses the full assortment of 12buffers! the buffers alone cost almost $100! if you're thinking of FURTHER stacking the buffers, to say 2 per socket, thats gonna be 24buffers! also, I'm not sure if stacking is possible? (jt? firefox?)

lastly, I think the opamps used should give the final tweaks to personal tastes. I figured you might like the more laid back, darker OPA sounds (how about 637s for L and R, and 627 for ground, for YOUR own ppa? wink.gif) vs the brighter, more detailed AD sound.

anyway, thanks for the impressions!

edit: before you think this is a paid advertisement, do note that I'm not trying to sell the PPA locally wink.gif

Sounds like the PPA might be my cup of tea..

rameish, do you still have the corda ha-1?

maybe you'd like to compare those ? wink.gif

Yikes S$100 for the buffers alone. Well at least it's easily updrageable when funds allow. I still think you should keep it and add buffers when funds allow. Read the PPA thread on head-fi and some are having success with the combo op-amp. For the uninitiated the AD-8610 amp that I have heard gives more air (like the AD varient of the PreHead). However, the BB op-amps have a more laid back slightly less detail, perhaps, sound. With the exceptions of the OPA 637 but that's one pricy op-amp man. Well, all things considered I'll give ablaze the Star Track Award - to boldly go where newbie builders have not gone before. LOL Well done Ablaze. I give you a Silver Star. Now go build a toob amp and you'll receive a Gold Star.

I'll try to give more impressions if time allows.

Cheers

woohoo! silver star! haha.gif haha..

didn't burn my thigh with the soldering iron, like one of the other diy-ers, so no purple heart? biggrin.gif

about stacking buffers, there's a buffer input resistor for each buffer, not sure what values to use if say there're 2 buffers per socket, instead of 1..but still, its an interesting idea.

Blues,

If you've completely left the dark side LOL do give it a listen before Ablaze packs it up and ships it to the US or somewhere else. He's quite quick about these things you know.

dark side... lol.giflol.gif

well I would like to try but I am too busy right now to make a trip down and borrow the PPA for testing sleep.gif

Hoping to see ha-1 ppa comparison though! w00t.gif

Sounds like the PPA might be my cup of tea..

rameish, do you still have the corda ha-1?

maybe you'd like to compare those ? wink.gif

You're a bass freak right? Then you'll love the bass boost feature...

Blues,

If you've completely left the dark side LOL do give it a listen before Ablaze packs it up and ships it to the US or somewhere else. He's quite quick about these things you know.

Oh yeah hes quick, no questions about that.

smoke.gif

Bulkie,

Nice to see you in this parts. My nephew is coming back for the school holidays (2 weeks) then he goes back - need anything? Be quick as he leaves end of the month.

The Bass freak? I think that was a different guy called Guyferd. Not Blues. ;-)