Sign in to follow this  
cmk

Is this finally a can for all seasons?

I had been waiting a good 2 weeks or so for the DT990 to arrive at Jaben so I could go down and have a listen. Messaged him numerous times, and each time I got the same reply - no yet. I think he kinda got tired of seeing my message, until he didn't reply, so I called, and sure enough, it was the same reply. Then last Friday, Wilson messaged me saying that it will be in after 4pm. I called just to make sure it was in, not another disappointing no-show, and it arrived as he said.

Wait, but this is about the 880, not the 990. Well when I arrived, I say a couple of boxes of the 990 and the 880 lined up on the floor. Fresh out of the box, I took the 990 and hooked it up to the Diva amp to have a listen. I had a brief listen before at AA, so my expectations were high. The sound of the 990 was a bit bass heavy and the treble was tilted up, similar to my old 990pro before modification.

Then I switched over to the 880 just to see how it sounded like and I was very surprised. Gone was the thinness of the 880, replaced with a fuller, deeper sounding can. All the shortcomings of the old model were addressed with this new iteration. It was quick and fast through the mids and highs, light footed, and the bass extended lower than before. Then the ever friendly Wilson suggested that I take home the 880. Mmm...this gets even better.

So the 880 went into the nice black leatherette bag and home it went. I plugged it into the Diva again back home and then took some other music to see what would happen, whether the same magic would still be there.

Putting some rock music on, Avril Lagvene, sounded downright harsh, the electric guitars put out some unearthly brightness that I couldn't last very long. So I left that CD in repeat mode and went about my other business. Coming back to the CD after that breakin, I was surprised at the change that took place. It was less bright, still bright, but bearable nonetheless, and this after only 3 hours of continuous music. In fact, I heard things I didn't hear before, a testament to the 880's resolving power.

Playing my favourite cello test CD, Zuill Bailey, the cello's colors were well defined, especially when the music extended to the mids, the harmonic structure of the notes were especially clear. The instrument's body was evident with this close miked recording. Compared to my 990Pro, the 990p gave a closer rendering of the music, while the 880 was slightly more laid back.

On jazz and vocals, where the mids are most important, this is where the 880s shine. Stacy Kent singing "So Nice" with Jim Tomlinson on Brazilian Sketches is sooo nice, seductive. Also Linda Rondstadt's "Round Midnight" sound just lush, with clear separation of the instruments, and a big soundstage. On Diana Krall's "Girl in the other room" the high resolution recording comes through crystal clear without any smearing of the music. Less you get the idea the 880 is a detail freak, its not just that, it brings out the detail without sounding harsh. Liquid is the correct word. With the song "Temptation", the drum strikes have impact, the double bass notes are there and they don't cloud the other instruments, just provide foundation and tempo. The electric guitar shimers in the background, without drawing attention to itself.

On to some large orchestral pieces. I switched to an old 1970 recording of Kyung Wha Chung performing Tchaikovsky's violin concerto with Andre Previn, LSO. This is a classic because it was recorded when Ms Chung was still a young prodigy and she tackles this piece with such maturity it raised her to the status of first rank virtuoso. With the 880, fortunately or not, the recording shows its age with tape hiss apparent in the background, so you can sure every little mote will be reveiled. Those familar with this piece will know it takes tremendous skill to perform, and KWC's brushes of the bow across the strings is well highlighted, from the lightest draw to its end. As the orchestra comes in after her cadenza, the full width, height and power is shown in its glory. There is no compression of the soundstage, or the strikes of the timpani.

In summary, the 880 presents a very balanced, musical, intimate, tonally accurate picture of the music. The highs are pristine, occassionally has some rough edges, but the mids are really excellent, liquid and effortless. The bass has just enough depth and impact to reinforce the music's foundation. The soundstage is not front row, perhaps row 8-10, close enough to get in all the details. Dynamics are v good, not the best, but close. Overall a v good all round headphone with all kinds of music.

Since I didn't get to listen extensively to the 990 after burn in, pls take the above comments about the 990's sound as inconclusive and have a listen for yourself.

Now my problem is, do I pass it back to Jaben or keep it?

cmk, I feel the same too when I compared the DT990 and DT880

I found the DT990 has a little bloated bass, which pushed me towards the K701 tongue.gif

I'd say keep the DT880. I'm loving the DT880 for its sound and comfort

Thanks squalle, I'm just wondering about the Beyer Manufacture options:

32ohms

Aluring - Red

Yoke - Blue

Housing - Black

Mounting - Grey

End piece - Grey

Headband - leatherette

Ear pad - velour silver

rolleyes.gif

why drop to 32ohm if I may ask?

AFAIK, lower impedance will put a higher demand in ur amp. higher current demand, and also it demands a lower output impedance out of ur amp.

I hope you've known all these facts before buying. hehe

else you might find the DT880 customed to 32ohm to sound different compared to the 250ohm.

I hope you'll enjoy it nevertheless, as much as I am smile.gif

Or go for the leather options:

32ohms

Headband - Beige leather

Ear pad - Beige leather

Housing - Black

Mounting - Grey

End piece - Grey

Aluring - Gold

Yoke - Champagne

Check it out here under Manufacture.

Not sure if you got it correct, but the lower the impedence, the less you need to turn up the volume to get the same loudness.

Not totally true cmk. For example with an Audiovalve RKV MKII, I have to turn up the volume when driving a Grado as opposed to a Beyer or Senn. But your statement is generally true for a solid state amp.

Or go for the leather options:

32ohms

Headband - Beige leather

Ear pad - Beige leather

Housing - Black

Mounting - Grey

End piece - Grey

Aluring - Gold

Yoke - Champagne

Check it out here under Manufacture.

Lower impedence require higher current. Higher impedence, less current. Right?

These new DTs are interesting. I like the design options. Very cool. Check out my designs!

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by afbug

loudness depends on the sensitivity of the drivers. e.g. 96dB/mW.

which means if you supply 1mW power into it, it would be able to put out 96dB (way too loud for listening IMO)

for drivers with the same sensitivity, lower impedance would require higher current to get the same power, i.e. P= I^2R

However, turning up higher volume is correct for higher impedance, provided you have the drivers at the same sensitivity. you would require higher voltage to drive same loudness for the higher impedance cans

normally, amps would not mind putting out higher voltage. the problem normally lies within its ability to output current.

if you wish not to turn up higher, well, you can change the gain of your amp one way or another.

and hmm, why are you not comfortable with turning up the volume knob?

sincerely, I suggest you to just keep it to 250ohm

Thanks all for the advice, think I'll stick with the 250ohm version.

My concern with the high impedence cans was that if I needed to raise the vol too much, it would also amplify any noise in the amp's circuit, incl tube noise.

AFAIK, volume pot attenuates the input signal, not the output

so the noise induced by tube stays the same no matter what your volume pot position.

well, in your hands is the 250ohm version isnt it?

can you hear noise with your tube amp ? if not, then I think it's very safe to stick with 250ohm

Yes of course its the 250ohm stock model, there is a hint of tube noise when I turn up the vol with the 880, but not with the other cans I have. Asked TS about it and he said he will modify the design by adding a choke(?), I'm not technically inclined, so no idea what this does. He also mentioned using low noise tubes, which I have a few lying around somewhere, so it should not be a problem.