Gouki

Need a can in 2 days!

Hi people,

I need a good pair of headphone that would be perfect for travelling on planes and trains (ie. portability).

I have Senn. 570 (open cans, great for movies, bad for techno and terrible for portability), Senn. e2270 (closed cans, good for techno, a little better for portability), Sony wireless (cheap, but reasonable, Senn. 570 was much better and more comfortable too).

I love the comfort of my Senns, and I also love the natural sounds from open headphones. I don't really like earbuds as they fall out of my ears, though I haven't tried the Etys.

I'm going to Japan, so I want to have an outdoor and indoor phones. I hope to get the Sony wireless phones for indoor use.

I've queried on head-fi.org, and some has suggested the Senn 590, Sony d66l and M6 7506 as outdoor phones.

At the moment, I don't have the cash to buy the 590.

I'll be using my Sony Clie to listen to music, as well as my notebook.

I've heard great things about the Etys, can anyone comment about my situation as I'll be leaving on Monday and I hope that I will be able to enjoy my music while travelling for 7 hours and travelling in Japan (I'll be travelling a hell of a lot, so I need music!!!).

Thanks for your help, hope that I can buy something this Monday!

PS. I've taken a look at the thread regarding on "where do you buy your headphones?". That is very helpful, I would appreciate if people can tell me if there are other places selling the kind of headphons that I'm looking for. Thanks again!

I think the Etys are really great "cans" (if they can be called that) they sound really detailed and neutral. isolation is almost EXTREME. this might be good if you're sitting on an airplane, but if you're wearing them crossing the road or something..not entirely safe. one point is, if you don't have the dough right now for the 590s..yknow the Etys are almost TWICE the cost of those? unless you're talking about the ER6s, which I've never heard, so I've no comments. 7506s are pretty decent outdoor cans too, sound quite good and quite cheap. they used to go for $125 at mustafa, I think now you will have to buy from other shops..the cheapest I remember is "Videopro" I think, sls ground floor - $180. if you're buying them from japan, they've got a different name and model no. there..can't remember what though tongue.gif

If you're gonna be buying the cans in Japan, how can you resist the hype about the eggos? happy.gif

Hi,

Thanks for that.

OK, so I think I'm looking for cans less than $200.

My options comes down to these :

1. Sony 7506

2. Sony D66l

Thank you for your suggestions, I'm going to ORchard now, to shop around for these and other phones of around the same price.

I would go for Sony D66SL since I've already tried it before. The can's neutral sound, plus the deep, tight bass and detailed, clear highs attracts me to the phone. However, I have to remind you that it is a semi-open can so it might not have the full isolation you need.

I don't think you can get uit from any local shop here so I would recommend that you get it from this guy, Minhwa of http://www.bluetin.com/stores/singapore/SG.html. He's sort of a parallel importer, I guess, and a nice guy too and he's able to get the phones within a day. He stays in Singapore and doesn't mind meeting you at City Hall MRT.

I'm assuming if you were to get these headphones from Japan they would be too expensive?

My guess would be that these phones would be similarly priced in Japan, will find out when I get there next week.

perhaps the audio technicas, A900, A1000 or W1000. Have to see what I can find first ... wink.gif ... or perhaps something more exotic ....

R10! Sony CD3Ks? wink.gif

hehe..I always get excited when I find out a friend's going japan rolleyes.gifblush.gif so much stuff there not available here..mmmmm...

R10 reviews: quite a few..search head-fi. one thing i remember is that they provide the most 3-D soundstage thats possible with headphones.

the CD3Ks:

Type Circum-aural, dynamic

Driver unit 50mm diameter, CCAW

Impedance 32 ohms

Sensitivity 104 dB/mW

Rated power 500mW

Power Handling Capacity 100mW

Frequency Response 20-20,000Hz

Cord Length 9.8 ft (3.0m)

Plug Self-cleaning, gold-plated stereo UniMatch®

14 oz. (400g) w/out cord

My favourite pair of cans. they're by far the most comfortable phones I've ever owned, and superb-sounding, with a wide soundstage. headphone.gif Some find them bright, but I never had a problem with it. even with the supposed "bright" stock-X-can and "bright" Belden 89207s.. happy.gif

np. its not a chore at all to talk about the things you love smile.gif

btw, you're going next week? don't you mean the week after?