Gouki

Need a can in 2 days!

hm.. from the pic. they don;'t look like fake..

at 95.. it's a good deal

so who are jumping on this baby yes.gif

I tried to bargain with the guy before I bought it, but he would not budge smile.gif

Tell me, is this a good price that I paid for?

BTW, when I was breaking it in, I played it on med-high volume for a few hours. Is that ok?

When I was breaking in my Senn e2770 (I didn't know what was breaking in when I got the 570s), I played it on high for several hours. Not sure if that was a mistake.

Anyway, my quick preview of the D66SL :

PROs.

1. Very lightweight and compact, the extra carry bag is nice (didn't get one with my senns.)

2. Great sound. Gave me a better reaction than the e2770 because of the solid bass and clear sounds. I find that its fairly neutral, it seems to play pretty accurately which means that I can really hear the difference between a 128kbps and a 160kbps whereas I couldn't tell the difference when using a normal phone.

3. Great punchy bass. Its very accurate. Its not as boomy as the e2770. They were excellent for technos, even out of the box.

When playing rock, the highs were a little high when playing "Point of authority".

Sentimental/classical/rock (playing "Ah reum da oon ah poom"), hmmmm, mids didn't seem as lively as my 570. Vocals sounded very nice.

4. I have longish/biggish ears, but still manage to fit them inside the cones(?). Its semi closed, which means that you can still hear what's going on outside when the volume is low. When the volume is high, you hear 98% of the music and 2% of outside noise. The Eggo passed the MRT test smile.gif

5. Good enough to play on my Sony Clie PDA, wasn't as loud as the default ear phones, but was definitely clearer.

CONs.

1. Immediately I found that opening and closing the Eggos a little difficult. Hang on, its quite difficult. I cannot seem to close or open it properly (it slips as I try).

2. The headband is kind of tight, it wraps around your head whereas the Senns. kind of sits and wraps a little (ie. not as tight). Some may find this tiring after a while.

3. Not really sure about the short cable/extended cable setup although its well suited for my Sony Clie PDA which has a remote control. I love Senns. idea of totally detactable cables as I think some people tend to rip off their cables by accident from the root of the phones.

4. Did not like the look of the 2 small cables hooks as you can in one of the pictures. Once something sharp catches it, it would be hard to fix.

Its a great pair of headphone for the price that I got it for. I'm beginning to feel that it is better than the e2770 in terms of portability and clarity. Was clearly better as a techno phone than the 570 but not sure about how it compares as a movie headphone.

wow. congrats Gouki. looks very good. and looks like it sounds very good yes.gif

put a note in the price thread about your new purchase smile.gif sure beats the heck out of audiocubes US$89 price!!

N@Z is probably gonna want one laugh.gif hehe

about the burn-in, I'm a lil scared to go too aggressively at high volumes after my CD3Ks blew..so maybe you wanna lay off the high volumes till at least 24-48h at low-med volumes wink.gif

gouki, how do you compare this to the eH2270

the eh was my first can.. and had always sound fine for the price

wonder if you can write up about them smile.gif

For that price DAMN RIGHT! blush.gif excuse my Greek! Get it while it's hot ablaze. Ummm... don't use it on your X-can please!

how's the d66l compared to the other cans in the same price range(hd497) etc.. I might get them for portable if they are really good laugh.gif

HI Guys,

I'm back smile.gif

I'm gonna talk about the following :

1. Review - D66SL on the plane

2. Review - D66SL on the train

Please note that this phone was used for review with a Sony Clie NR70V PDA.

1. D66SL on the plane

The default sony earbud phones were clearly louder than the D66SL, but you could also hear the thrashiness of it too. D66SL reminded me of a smooth drink, very moderate headphones that is clearly capable of asking for more power.

It did not block out the sounds of the plane altogether. I think it was probably 25% plane and 75% music, still bearable in my opinion. I wish I could have listened at a louder volume as the phones do sound a lot better especially when the bass kicks in smile.gif

When I connect the Sony to the plane's audio jack (I only used one of them since I didn't have the 2-point audio adapter), it was much louder and far more dramatic. Seems like if I had an adapter I would be much happier :-)

They were comfortable for the 6 hours++ trip. Didn't hurt my ears at all.

2. The Sony was much better on the train because perhaps Japanese trains aren't as noisy as Singaporean trains :-p I enjoyed it more here.

I haven't had the chance to look around for phones as I'm dead tired from my first day. Will come back with some photos (if any people are interested).

As for the review of the e2770, I can do it better if I actually had it here :-)

thanks gouki.

that's a nice review of sony eggo!

Wow, thanks for taking time to write your impressions. Are you in Japan already?

Can you define smooth drink for me, maybe give me an example of what you mean beer.gif

Based on your description, you will certainly need an amp to get more volume out of the clie. The added benefit of course is theoretically you will get better sound. I say theoretically as the clie only has a headphone out which is not as ideal as a line out. More volume you will certainly get as I've experienced with my old portable Sharp MD player.

thanks gouki.

that's a nice review of sony eggo!

Hi,

If you are interested in buying the Eggos, I recommend that you try it from someone who has one and then use it on the portable that you will be using while you are on the move.

Some portables have better "amps" than others. My PDA is not an MP3 player, its main function is to work as an organiser but with music playback ability. Also, the songs that I've encoded are crap (from 96kbps to 256kbps), so you hear every mistakes of your encoding if it is not done right.

N@Z, I'm not sure about your definition of which line would produce the loudest sound. I've always thought that you will get the loudest sound from the headphone jack than from the line out jack. I could be very wrong, that's just from personal experiences.

The Eggos is really like a nice smooth drink. The sounds are very mild on the ears, perhaps its because of the music that I listen to ;-) Once you start listening to techno or hip hop, the bass responds very well (and not too overwhelming either).

For its size and the price that I paid for :-) , its not a bad buy.

I have one hate about the Eggos though, they are a hassle to open and close.

Good luck finding an Eggo for the price I paid for, they are a good buy even at $150++.

If you tried it out of the line out jack without an amp you'd get nothing at all! What I meant was the sound quality would be better using an amp connected to the line out rather than the headphone out.