Sign in to follow this  
headphonecrazy

New baby + some nudes !

Headphonecrazy,

How thck is the face plate? Anyway to drill holes in it? (For crossfeed control). Muse are nice caps and so are silmic. Some pictures please.

I don't play favourites - or at least I try not to.

No I'm not an X-Cans V1 or V2 fan. However my main gripe about the x-cans is the imbalance in all the units I have encountered (this is not a problem if you listen to your music loud). However they have now put in a more expensive pot - the Alps Blue and they might have refined the sound.

So to me the V2 or V1 was never an option to change things like caps and tube roll. And you cant really put a crossfeed board inside it. However these things have changed.

Still, it's very unlikely I will ever buy such a thing but until I have listened to it I will keep an open mind.

Rameish... by not buying the X-cans V2 you are missing out something so advance you could never have imagined.... As a former X-man (Owner of X-canV2), I have to defend this great British made product. The X-Cans v2 has the 5th Generation BS (British Standard) Artificial Intelligence built into it. It actually decides that there should be a channel imbalance to keep you company with a little music on the left channel even when the volume pot is turned to the minimum.

Sorry for the OT guys... now back on track...

headphonecrazy: is your X-cans v3 in your office? If so can I pop over for a listen as I may need to collect some stuff from Barradio.

Lengcm,

Now Now!. With the V3 the volume pot has changed so it won't have the AI you describe. Also some design changes (hopefully) would/may make it a more neutral sounding unit. However it's now competing in a different price league so it's performance needs to assessed in the S$700 price cat. Unfortunately, the cap changes have already occured.

Edited by Rameish

Headphonecrazy,

How thck is the face plate? Anyway to drill holes in it? (For crossfeed control). Muse are nice caps and so are silmic. Some pictures please.

OK, the face plate is 4mm thick and I've just change another 2 pairs of Red Blackgate NX 6.3V 220uF caps. The soundstage and separation has improve beyond your imagination wink.gifparty.gif

Will try to post some pics and further comments tomorrow when I've my camera.

I don't play favourites - or at least I try not to.

No I'm not an X-Cans V1 or V2 fan. However my main gripe about the x-cans is the imbalance in all the units I have encountered (this is not a problem if you listen to your music loud). However they have now put in a more expensive pot - the Alps Blue and they might have refined the sound.

So to me the V2 or V1 was never an option to change things like caps and tube roll. And you cant really put a crossfeed board inside it.  However these things have changed.

Still, it's very unlikely I will ever buy such a thing but until I have listened to it I will keep an open mind.

Rameish... by not buying the X-cans V2 you are missing out something so advance you could never have imagined.... As a former X-man (Owner of X-canV2), I have to defend this great British made product. The X-Cans v2 has the 5th Generation BS (British Standard) Artificial Intelligence built into it. It actually decides that there should be a channel imbalance to keep you company with a little music on the left channel even when the volume pot is turned to the minimum.

Sorry for the OT guys... now back on track...

headphonecrazy: is your X-cans v3 in your office? If so can I pop over for a listen as I may need to collect some stuff from Barradio.

Yes, it's in my office. You're welcome to come audition, you know my mobile no.

Okay. Will try and make it this saturday with Lengcm. Where are the pictures?

Hey, I'm off this saturday. ohmy.gif but you guys can come tomorrow or Friday.

I've left my Leica at home, some closeups tomorrow.

Edited by headphonecrazy

My all time favorite 6922s - the humble Siemens CCa.

BTW I'm uploading the pic in GIF format because there was an error in posting the higher quality JPG (message says this type of file cannot be uploaded), strange, what could be the problem? blink.gif

post-2-1065056658.gif

cool....

sound after mod and tube-rolled?hehe...

try to compare when u finish burn-in and did some reviews on them wink.gif

cant wait anymore tongue.gif

BTW I'm uploading the pic in GIF format because there was an error in posting the higher quality JPG (message says this type of file cannot be uploaded), strange, what could be the problem? blink.gif

You can no longer upload/attach images greater than 300kb. I assume those high quality jpgs were above that limit. Resize them to no greater than 800x600 & they should be more managable for the forum layout.

For those of you interested there was a review of the V3 in this months issue of Hi-Fi world!

I wont copy the whole thing here, but this is the main ?jist? of it.

?The original X-Can was far tighter and faster than you would expect from anything with a glowing glass bottle, yet offered the tiniest of ?tubular palliatives? the result was all the speed and grip of solid state rivals but just the slightest valve sweetness and liquidity.?

?The new X-Can V3 claims less distortion, wider bandwidth, lower noise and better stereo separation than its already usefully improved V2 incarnation. It also has better load driving ability??..?The improvement to the volume control is undeniable?

It adds ?a good deal more bass power and grip, midband speed and grip, and just a touch more treble air and space. The X-Can V1 was already a capable device but the new V3 is so good to be largely irrelevant to the sound you get from your headphones ? as the problems with your cans become ruthlessly exposed.?

The review used HD600 and DT990

??the musical fidelity box to be unremittingly powerful and big booted ? I head the senns pummel out bass like never before, but with dizzying speed, impressive as it was it seemed just a touch uptight, so I switched to the DT990 only to find a more full and breathy bottom end. With the HD600?s the midband had brilliant attack transients and metronomic sense of timing. The treble sounded more open than with the V1 and just a bit brighter too. A switch too the DT990 confirmed it was far more atmospheric than even the HD600 could convey.?

?it is head and shoulders abvove the Creek OBH-11 and not far behind the Sugden Headmaster.?

less distortion, wider bandwidth, lower noise and better stereo separation, better load driving ability, improvement to the volume control is undeniable, more bass power and grip, midband speed and grip, more treble air and space, pummel out bass like never before, but with dizzying speed, midband had brilliant attack transients and metronomic sense of timing.

Yes, I share the same comments and even more with the modded V3.

The brightness I reckon could be from the Jan Philips 6922s.

The BASS, Rameish & Lengcm, please check out the BASS.

I've not heard bass that sounded so good from the Sennheisers before, not even when driven from the RKV, and this is driven with a DIY Canare IC & headphone cable. w00t.gif

Edited by headphonecrazy

less distortion, wider bandwidth, lower noise and better stereo separation, better load driving ability, improvement to the volume control is undeniable, more bass power and grip, midband speed and grip, more treble air and space, pummel out bass like never before, but with dizzying speed, midband had brilliant attack transients and metronomic sense of timing.

Yes, I share the same comments and even more with the modded V3.

The brightness I reckon could be from the Jan Philips 6922s.

The BASS, Rameish & Lengcm, please check out the BASS.

I've not heard bass that sounded so good from the Sennheisers before, not even when driven from the RKV, and this is driven with a DIY Canare IC & headphone cable. w00t.gif

Looks like I may take a day off just to test drive the V3. headphone.gif