Sign in to follow this  
Senn

Newbie needs help! Experts please help :)

regarding your last 3 questions:

the CD3000 takes the cake for all your criteria

I've had nothing that drives easier than the CD3Ks, amped or not.

nothing more comfortable (ok, 'cept maybe the Sony F1 biggrin.gif)

suitability for a variety of music? I think thats subjective, but I'll say it leans towards the more aggressive, dynamic side of things. works well for me, but YMMV.

you can't get it here. so you either hunt in Japan, ebay, or www.audiocubes.com

cd 3000 you have to order from the net ... it's only for japan consumer ... lol.giflol.gif brand new is around $ 800 w00t.gifw00t.gif

Some might disagree but IMO spending that kind of money for your intended use seems overkill. The ATH W1000 & MDR-CD3000 will work but they will not be performing to their intended/full potential. But hey, it your money.

Source for CD3000: ebay, audiocubes.com. Price varies, audiocubes sells both of them for SG$656 (US$379 @ 1.73) excluding shipping.

It depends...

I prefer cd3000 sound to the W1000. The cd3000 is more dynamic and aggressive at times, while w1000 is more 'gentle'?

The vocal on the AT takes time to get used to , because to me it's a bit nasal? or something.. probably it's the wooden enclosure.

Both are around the same price, 370 USD I believe.

However, do note that if you like to move around while listening to headphone, cd3000 might be a little bit of a problem. They don't clamp your head, and as such a little loose. Just a little jumping about and you will find them slipping off your head tongue.gif

I really like the dt770pro last time. Maybe that can work for you?

Another nice one is dt250-80. very comfortable and kinda like senn hd600 sound also. Warm presentation, a little dark, nice bass.

Edited by Blues

wah.. the cd3k price is O V E R W H E L M I N G for me.. indeed it would be an overkill for someone like me.. i think i better look lower down.. hehe

anyway, today one of the shops quoted me 330 for the HD 590.. do you guys think that can its worth that kinda $$?? ( im not a rich kid btw.. juy a guy who is willing to pay slightly more for quality) i didnt really like how it sounded.. but well i have to remind myself im on a budget

i tried the DT770 pro (nicer sound) but i didnt like how it felt on my head.. only a few minutes.. i felt there was slight heat buildup and my head feels compressed..maybe abit too small for my taste..hehe

how about the other philips 890 / 910?

or shld i spent the $$ on the Sr 225 and conjure some kidna way to make them comfy?

Edited by Senn

hm.. I notice you've just edited and included a few more points.

Ok, cd3000 is it worth every buck? very subjective.

I feel that at its full price, no quite, unless you are very rich. Well for me, I managed to get it used (around 300). Thus I can say that it's worth every buck.

cd3000 is very good.. but I am afraid that you need a very good source( if you listen to mp3 then it's a bit of a waste IMO) like cd player, or at least a lossless format coupled with a good soundcard(m-audio revo etc). Don't forget that the cd3000 is an extremely high fidelity component.. it will reveal the truth of your source.. sometimes the truth hurts tongue.gif

I guess for your use, the abovementioned dt250-80 is decent. Its strength is in the midrange whereby it's the most important for movie(you want to hear the dialoques clearly). Dt770pro is also good and it's meant for studio use. It has monstrous bass(unmatched in terms of slam) and is quite decent. The isolation is great if you need it.

Grado sr-225 is also another great choice. They are pretty easy to drive and is very dynamic sounding. Alot of energy. Good for music like rock, pop, etc. You might want to try them at Music By Design, Adelphi.

I am not a fan of senn hd590 and thus my opinion might be bias. I believe for the same money, you should try the grado 225, dt770, dt250, or even some AKG mentioned earlier.

Philips HP890 is great value for money.

Since you like the sound of the DT770pro, did you know that there is a non pro version? It is designed to be more comfortable but oddly it is more expensive.

N@Z: i didn't know about it.. hehe.. u seem to know everything o_O" anyway, im not a big fan of bass so i tihink i'll still go for a all-rounder..

urmm.. hehe more advice needed from you guys.. now the new list is

Philips 890 , 910 , DT 250-250 . 250-80

btw, can anyone point out pros and cons between each of brand's cans? i.e.e between the 2 philips & between the two DTs .. then which is better for me?

i believe i do not have enough experience to tell these differences yet.. unsure.gif

Edited by Senn

250-250 is the same as dt250-80, except that 250-250 is better sounding when amplified. dt250-80 is meant to be used for a more 'portable' situation. Of course it gets better too when amplified, but dt250-250 is better in that case.

I have not heard the 2 philips

Edited by Blues

You're seriously doing youself an injustice if you don't hear a Grado. However if you do like the Beyer DT-770 then you really gotta think about amplification.

hmm... how much cheaper(roughly) is the 250-80 from the 250-250

Ramiesh : since you talked about Grado.. i have a q here. Why is SR225 'called' the best ROCK can instead of SR 325.. i thought was somewhat an improved version of it?

also, there are more comfy pads for the grado phones i heard.. but can it really get comfy.. frankly, i am blown off by the comfort of teh hd590..

also, i was thinking of trying out an ATh-A900 but no one here seems to have much information about it? also its like v diff. to find locally.. anyone knows?

Edited by Senn

Senn, the 250-250 is about the same price, if not the same price as the dt250-50.

The grado 225 imo is not the best rock can. To me, the best rock can has got to be the sr-325. It has got more bass , more detail and somewhat a little more energy that the 225. But of course opinion may differ and since all the grados have the same family sound, 225 and 325 is a close call.

A900 is difficult to get locally mainly because there is no AT dealer here, or maybe there is but shop like Hungbros don't carry them. As such, you're only limited to ordering them from overseas. I believe AT S.E.A office has them too.. but it's even more ex than what you can get from overseas. Don't ask me why, I also don't know lol lol.gif

AT is also fairly easy to drive (about same impedance as cd3000), as such amp might not really be necessary. Well if you are really interested, you can try ordering them from www.audiocubes2.com

Anyways if it does come down to the 590's and the 890's? Definetly get the 890's. You could even audition the headphones at hung bros. I've tried some of the lower end beyer headphonds (price range was about $130-$190) and I still prefered the 890 in terms of sound and comfort. Seriously end of the day, one might tell you something's better than the other, but when it all comes down to it, it's up to you. I mean to you something might sound great even though it's been given terrible reviews. party.gif

Edited by Huma Dragonbane

IMO, if you want value for money, the Philips HP890 at $80+ is ridiculously good. I mean, its a full-sized headphone with full-sized sound and costs a lil more than the typical portable headphone!