Sign in to follow this  
Rameish

Nakamichi Anyone?

Hehehe... shurely shome mishtake. I will rectify that accordingly on my next trip.

Thinking of looking for it used.

Okay, finally this thread seems to be drying out. After 4 pages! Wow. Hmm...maybe I'll bring my Nakamitchi Deck to the next sgheadphones meet in Jan. Of all the tape formulations I used to use I love the Sony UX-Pro (with ceramic tape guide) the best. Unfortunately, when they were available they cost more than most metal tapes - including Sony's. They are pretty heavy because of the ceramic tape guide. That's right not plastic of metal but ceramic!

Only have about 6 pieces of them though as each blank cost about S$10!.

What's you favourite chrome formulation N@Z?

Barradio, if you ani't using your demag, N@Z needs one.

Hmm. Is the white ceramic cassettes made by Sony, the ES model with the aluminium presentation case the same? I think I had those. Need to check at my parents house this weekend. I think they cost about B$18 the cheapest when they were still available here a couple of years back.

Fav. chrome formulation TDK-SA. It had the best headroom & sound quality overall. I've only tried BASF, Maxell & Sony.

Barradio wink.gif

I just found a place where they are still selling the Sony Metal Master Cassettes. This is the plain jane case but with the Ceramic guide. Selling +B$13 before discount. They have about about 14 on their rack. Thinking of getting some this weekend. There's another place where I think still sells the ES for $21. Hopefully I can get a discount. This will be fantastic for my bedside rig as I don't normally skip tracks when I listen to music in bed.

I've tried the SONY XLⅡ-S before, not as good as the TDK-SA. First recording is fine, recordings after that deteriorated exponentially.

user posted image

I assume this is the UX-Pro you were referring to?

user posted image

I've never used them before maybe the HF series below that. Also nothing to shout about.

If so mine is definitely the Metal Master.

user posted image

Finally warmed up my Nak, using a MINT META amp (with 120 Oehlbach adaptor to quell the slight harsh top end on this amp) & K501. Looks like some of my TDK MA-XG & Sony Metal Master cassettes are a little worse for wear. On some areas where there is damage (pinched due to use in my car's crappy basic Sony player) to the tapes it sounds horrible but where they are pristine the sound is exceptional for analog. Recordings made from CDs sound full, warm & shows little loss of original detail. I listened to it with Dolby off. The Nak once fully cleaned up still works perfectly. I'm rediscovering some of my music which I have never heard on headphones before. There is alot of detail in there than I originally expected. Prerecorded tapes which I thought sounded mediocre before sounds pretty good. If you are predominantly a Digital source user you will find the hiss from tapes annoying. It doesn't bother me once music is playing.

It's raining this afternoon so I didn't go out to check out the ones in the Aluminium tins.

Photos to show of the setup. Using your Clone PBJs Rameish wink.gif Volume knob had to go all the way to 12 o'clock on the MINT with the K501 in order to get moderate volume.

DSC00001.jpg

Swapped amps, trying the Porta Corda II. Sounds alot warmer & not as bright/harsh as the MINT. I really don't regret getting this used PCII from Rameish. It's a grower. I like it in all the applications that I've used it in (TV, portable & Main rig). I think I would have really liked the PreHead. Shoot!

Some of my tape collection...

DSC00005.jpg

I have already committed myself with the Cayin HA-1A & DT150 so that'll have to be on the backburner for now.

Cayin? Is that still on? I thought the response was/isn't sufficient enough for the Power Buy thing.

Anyways, Don't put your good cassettes into cheap/lousy decks. They are often not allingned properly or go out of alingment because the head (of the cheaper decks) actually rotate 180 degrees for auto reverse. That's why on an auto reverse Nak the tape drawer physically comes out reverses the tape (not the head) and goes back in. The dual playback heads don't have this problem but there are other issues with alignment as well. In short the Naka Cassette Deck II is a keeper. Just clean the head, pinch rollers and capsan, after 10 tapes or so. Demag the payback head ONLY after about 40 hours of playback or before you record. Cleanliness is key with all things in hi-fidom.