Sign in to follow this  
Rameish

Nakamichi Anyone?

Ditto! happy.gif

I was supposed to bring it over to my house from my parents house last month. Haven't got round to doing it yet. Got a few compilation tapes on TDK MA-XG sound super warm & analoguey. Mostly recorded from the LP12 through the Naim Nait 2.

The headphone out on the bottom left is hopeless, only one volume setting... loud! Unless you recorded the tape well below 0db.

Practically no distortion on the MA-XG even up to +3db peak. Uber reliable. Mine is coming up to 14 years old.

Oh, edited the spelling wink.gif

LOL the headphone out is for monitoring while recording and not for playback N@Z! Its volume is adjustable using the record level. Read the manual. Hey I think I bought mine in 1990. So they are about the same age. I wish things were still made the same way Sigh.

I recall the higher model Yamaha Decks were the closest in terms of build & looks.

There's a Luxman model that was built like a tank but had a gold finish (yuch!). So my friend has it LOL. Otherwise it too is a great deck.

When I first saw this deck I thought Nakamichi was taking a different direction interms of their signature design/style but I couldn't argue with the selling price. I think it cost me about +£300 at the time. How much did yours go for?

Nakamichi's were the king of cassette decks when I was in secondary one. All I could afford then was my good old Denon 3 head cassette deck that only recently "croaked". And my dream machine back then was the infamous Dragon, but right now I'm thinking bout buying the RX505 model deck to replace my sadly departed Denon.

And yes the 505 is a beauty, first seen it in the movie "9 1/2 weeks". Any to let go? biggrin.gif

Edited by headphonecrazy

I've owned a few Naks in my day. happy.gif There's a great site (in addition to www.naks.com) which describes the models and their features along with a great FAQ about them. There are a number of awesome decks by Nak but parts for the older ones will eventually be hard to find, no? Here's the site:

http://www.sonicsense.com/nakfaq.html

For the record, I think the Studer/Revox, Tandberg and a handful of TEAC decks can rival the Nakamcihis.

LOL Headphonecrazy!

The other Cassetted Deck I owned was the NAD. I don't remember which exact model it was. It was fairly basic but it was advanced enough to have feather touch operation at the time (1988). I graduated to the Sony Walkman Pro (DC6) although not a full sized deck it had better sound than the NAD but not quite as good as the Nak obviously.

On thing I noticed with the Walkman Pro/Nak CD2 is that recordings made from CDs will sound warmer & reduce any of the inherent brightness/glare which was inherent in my CDP yet it did not have any (noticeable) detrimental affects to recordings made from LP.

The Nak Cassette Deck II is/was the same model (with different facia) as the DR-3 - I think? But sadly Nakamitchi has been sold off twice. After the 1st time, they went into Lifestyle systems. Now I don't really know. The Deck I wanted was the Cassette Deck 1 or 1.5 but they cost above 1k then and I couldn't afford it.

N@Z, I think I paid around S$700 - S$750 for it. Can you imagine what it would cost now if they built something like this today! Probably S$2k or so. LOL

Hmm...maybe I could post a few pictures of cassettes for the babies here. ;-)

Ah memories..........remember the jargons such as Dolby NR B/C, dbx noise reduction, HX pro etc?

Here u go! Now I'm getting a bit nostalgic for Open-Reel. Yest the Compact Cassette (as it was known then) was the MD of tape tech. Open Reels were the masters and then they were the cartridge loaders remember? Some even went to lengths to use VCR machines for audio playback! Compine that with a tube everthing - from radio to amplifier and some good old Rogers speakers!.

Tapes.JPG

Hey, come to think bout it, I still have some Teac Metal Cassette Tapes that came with interchangable spools just like that of the open reels.

It warms my heart to know that there is still people keeping their good old cassettes.

party.gifbiggrin.gif

Ah memories..........remember the jargons such as Dolby NR B/C, dbx noise reduction, HX pro etc?

What about Dolby S? Bias, and MPX filter. Hmm...we were all part time recoring engineers then LOL. First decidcing on recording level and picking a tape to suit it. Then, turning the tape bias, selecting a noice reduction system B, C, or S. No MPX for me! Then, cue the TT check for recording level and then gently drop the stylus onto the record groove before quickly hitting the record button ( or un-pausing ). What a pain.